It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2004, 08:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Nostril piercing

Has anyone here had their nostril pierced? If so, did you have any complications? How was the experience, and the healing process?

Old 07-23-2004, 08:34 AM   #2

PajamaMomma HB User
Re: Nostril piercing

Do you mean just a regular nostril piercing? I had my nose done about 2 yrs ago. I have always had bad luck with piercings, even my ears... but no problem w/ the nose. It really didn't hurt much at all, and was over very quickly. The healing process took only about 2 weeks. Keeping it clean and turning the ring or stud several times a day helps it to heal quickly. The only problems I ever have is mostly during winter/cold season, when I get a runny nose. The continuious nose blowing can cause a little irritation and sometimes a little infection. But, usually it heals back up pretty fast if taken care of properly. Also, keeping a high quality stainless steel ring in is important. The nose can be an infectious area, so only use good jewelry in it. Thats about it. It's an easy piercing for the most part.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2004, 08:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you! Yep, I'm just talking about a traditional nostril piercing. I'm glad to hear that your experience was easy. I'd really like to get mine pierced, but I have to conquer my nervousness, first

Old 07-23-2004, 12:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Most people are allergic to stainless steel aka surgical steel and if a common reason for having problems with ear rings even tho they deem it "non allergentic". In fact most surgeons do not even use SS anymore due to the complications that can occur such as infection or rejection.
The cause is the nickel compound found in the metal itself. If you have problems with your ring look for a titanium, guaranteed to be non allergenic. If you have problems with wearing earrings such as constant infections then you should also use titanium there as well.

Old 07-23-2004, 04:09 PM   #5

Katt Fink HB User

My suggestion for reducing complications during piercing/healing: never, EVER (!) get pierced with a gun! Piercing "guns" cannot be properly sanitized and most people who use them are not professional piercers, as any trained professional would gasp at the thought of using a gun. The piercing studs that are used in gun piercing are dull and short, resulting in an extremely painful pierce and they don't allow room to accommodate any swelling that may occur post-pierce. The risk of a gun piercing getting stuck halfway through your flesh is high. The slip-on backs of the jewelry studs harbor emmense amounts of bacteria that can't be eliminated in daily cleaning/salt soaking. The trauma that the quick squeeze of the gun causes your body is tremendous and is especially hard on a cartilage piercing, i.e. your nostril. So I say, to save yourself a painful and agonizing piercing and healing experience, please get pierced with a needle or dermal punch! Getting pierced with a gun is similar in many ways to getting pierced with a stapler.. yuck! Find any clean, reputable piercing studio in your area and talk to them about the piercing and aftercare, most places are more than happy to help.. but make sure you shop around to find a studio with which you are comfortable. Good luck!

I highly recommend that you check out [url]www.bmezine.com[/url] ...it's got all the information you could ever want to know about piercings, plus photos and experience stories.

Last edited by Katt Fink; 07-23-2004 at 04:11 PM.

Old 07-24-2004, 06:27 AM   #6

PajamaMomma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa
Most people are allergic to stainless steel aka surgical steel and if a common reason for having problems with ear rings even tho they deem it "non allergentic". In fact most surgeons do not even use SS anymore due to the complications that can occur such as infection or rejection.
The cause is the nickel compound found in the metal itself. If you have problems with your ring look for a titanium, guaranteed to be non allergenic. If you have problems with wearing earrings such as constant infections then you should also use titanium there as well.
Wow. I didn't know that! Perhaps that is why my body rejects most piercings, and get infected except for my nose. It's odd that I get no bad reaction from the SS in my nose...it's the only kind I can even wear. I've tried others and it always gets irritated. I think I'll look for some titanium earrings. I've had my ears done for 20 years but have not been able to keep any earrings in for the last 10. It would be nice to actually get to wear something in my ears w/o an infection! Thanks for the info!

Old 07-24-2004, 01:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katt Fink, don't worry, I would never let someone pierce me with a gun! Needles only.

To Kissa: I agree that no jewelry with any nickel in it should be used in piercings.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:49 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Ms Harriet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber
Katt Fink, don't worry, I would never let someone pierce me with a gun! Needles only.

To Kissa: I agree that no jewelry with any nickel in it should be used in piercings.
i had one and my friend got hers done at the same time. i got mine with a hoop and she got hers with a stud. hers kept falling out adn closing over a little by little but mine was fine. so get a hoop, they stay in much longer adn are easier to clean and have. watch out for getting it hooked on washcloths thats the worst.

nfourtuantly i dont have mine anymore casue i went to the hospital for surgery and they made me take it out. but i really miss it and once i have the money im gonna do it again!

Old 08-24-2004, 12:45 PM   #9

sassafras526 HB User

I had my nose pierced for a while, and although I loved it, I did have slight complications. It didn't hurt that bad to get pierced, but I went to a concert right afterward and got kicked in the face!...that didn't feel very good! I worked at a restaurant at the time that didn't allow facial piercings, so I changed the hoop to a stud about a week after I got it pierced...I think that led to any problems I had. Also, the stud wasn't good enough for my managers, so I had to take it out for a couple hours everyday. It wasn't healed yet, so it would hurt really bad every time I put it back in, and I'm pretty sure it was infected. I finally just took it out for good since it was causing me so many problems, and now almost a year later, I still have a big bump inside my nose that I always think is a booger!!! Just make sure if you get one, DO NOT TAKE IT OUT UNTIL IT'S HEALED!!! That's the best advice I can give, but you're not supposed to do that anyway!!! Good luck!

Old 08-25-2004, 12:48 PM   #10

lil_hazel HB User
Talking Re: Nostril piercing

Hey,
I've had my nostril pierced for about four years. Just out of interest, I also have my tongue pierced three times, my navel, my ears-lobes, four cartiladge piercings, two deep and one tragus, My lip (vertical labret) and my temples.
I never had any trouble with my nostril piercing and the pain was quite minimal considering it was my first piercing after my ear lobes. The healing was good with regular cleans with salt water solution and It was completley healed within about seven weeks in total.
I would definetly reccomend checking out [url]www.bmezine.com[/url], its an amazing website with loads of insight and info about body modifciation of all sorts. It's been my favorite net site and community (friendly and helpful) for years.

Also, it's not actually important what jewellery you get aslong as you go to a respectable, knowledgeable and C L E A N piercer. Never get anything pierced with a gun, you can look for more information on why a needle is better even for 'minor' piercings such as ears on BME. (website listed before)
good luck

Last edited by lil_hazel; 08-25-2004 at 12:51 PM.

Closed Thread