It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2004, 05:40 PM   #1

wetzel_1 HB User
Geographic tongue

Has anyone heard of geographic tongue? Since my second child, I have noticed strange circles on my tongue. They are red in color with a whiteish ring around the outside and are smooth on the inside (almost like the tastebuds have been burned off) When they appear I get a tingling sensation and the circles are numb. They then slowly get larger until they disapear. I have gone to the doctor and she said that it was geographic tongue and not to worry. She said that it is not treated and will not do any damage. I am just hoping that this is all it really is. Anyone familiar with this or have a similar experience?

Old 07-26-2004, 05:55 PM   #2

JenBrooke123 HB User
Re: Geographic tongue

Yep, I have had it for years, I'm 29 now. I didn't have it as a child it developed in my adult years. It is harmless, sometimes my tongue will burn, or be a little numb, it acts up during my cycle as well. Some days it better and some days it worse. They say that it can sometimes be treated with steroids, but I just have learned to deal with it. It's nothing to worry about it , some people have it and some people dont' It is actually quite commen. So no need to frett.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2004, 06:05 PM   #3

wetzel_1 HB User

Thank you for your reply! I am surprised to hear how many people have heard of this very odd condition. I am one of those people who love to share with anyone and everyone my weird happenings in my life and this has been a great conversation stirer. Since it started I have stuck my tongue out a lot saying "look at this! What is it?!!" We have had a lot of laughs but on the serious side, I have been woried it was something more serious. I am 25 and of the people that have heard of it tell me they were in their 20s when it started appearing. THat is strange that you are in your 20s also! How often do you get it? IT seams to be coming about every other month or sometimes every month. You're right...I am noticing it at or around my menstral cycle. Curiously...do you think it would go away if I were pregnant? I will starting to try again in a couple of months. I have got to try for a girl since I have 2 boys!! (does this site have spell check?, I type too fast..)

Old 07-27-2004, 07:56 AM   #4

JenBrooke123 HB User

I was about 23 when I first noticed it, my dentist told me what it was. As you described it, mine looks the same excat way. Even sometimes under my tongue! Sometimes it's aggervated with certain foods, like spicy etc. Mine is always there, sometimes its more pronounced then other times. But I noticed it is more around my period, like sore or the tip of my tongue can be numb sometimes. I don't know if getting pregnant will make it go away, I think it is part of you like a birthmark is part of you. It is harmless though and it does not turn into cancer. They call it Geographic tongue because it resemblies a map. So if you ever get lost you have your own personal map..hahahaha LOL okay, sorry bad joke.

anyway, it is harmless but can be irritated with things like spicy foods, tabacco and alcohol. so you might want to avoid those things if your tongue is sore. Of course I dont..lol btw, some people believe that alligeries can also be a cause for geographic tongue, but the cause is really unknown. So no need to worry, it may cause you a sore tongue now and again and it may look worse then it is, but truly it is nothing to worry about.

Last edited by JenBrooke123; 07-27-2004 at 07:58 AM.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:43 AM   #5
(female)

bm28 HB User

Hi! I'm 28 and I have had this for as long as I can remember. I went to the Dr. for it when I was a sophomore in high school and so that was about 13 years ago so I've had it at least that long.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:37 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

I have it and have found that certain foods aggravate it. Acid foods like tomatoes can bring it on. I've also noticed that Walnuts and Pecans aggravate it. I started getting it when I was a kid.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:06 PM   #7

Lite8888 HB User

My spot always seems to appear in the same place, usually the right side of my tongue or the tip. My dentist said I could be rubbing my tongue against my teeth in my sleep. Anyhow, I noticed when I'm stressed or when I eat certain acidic foods (tomatoes, pineapples, etc) it tends to flare up. It feels weird too, kind of burns and makes you very aware of your tongue. If I drink more water it tends to help. Does anyone know a remedy for it?

Old 06-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User

My mother has this condition. I also had a college roommate who had it. My mother's tongue is sensitive to pineapple and jello. And sometimes she has no idea why it happens. I've heard that L-Lysine pills can help tongue sores--maybe your doctor or dentist could tell you if it would also help geographic tongue.

Old 06-11-2005, 02:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

I use to have this also, years ago. After I had my babies, it went away... I wonder if it's hormone-related?

Old 08-04-2005, 04:15 AM   #10
(female)

aanikasma HB User

Hi, I'm new here but I just had to tell somebody about what I'm trying! I've had GT since birth and have learned to deal with it but still was never happy about it. I stumble across some information about Collodial Silver, a natural antibotic....you see, I've actually had my tongue clear up after several rounds of agressive antibotics (for other illnesses) - only to come back when the treatment was done. You can buy CS at your local health store and it looks like water with absolutely NO taste.

CS is taken internally but can also be used topically on wounds etc. so I thought I'd try it...I put the liquid on my tongue and cleaned it in the middle of the afternoon, and now it's the next morning and it still looks, and feels, CLEAN!! I'm sooo geeked about it and I'm really hoping that it is the key to finally getting a normal tongue.

I'd love to hear if anyone else tries this!

Old 08-10-2005, 11:24 AM   #11
(female)

Worker Ant HB User

Hi there

This has been something that has plagued me for years! The only thing that really bothers me is I've got such a complex about it because it looks so darn gross!!!

I developed it when I fell pregnant with my son and it's never gone away. He was born with it as well, poor child. Foods such as orange juice, kiwi fruit, pineapple etc really aggrevate it.

I find when I'm run down, not sleeping well and not eating well it gets really bad. It has apparently got something to do with the immune system???

To make matters worse, here when I tell people about it they think I'm nuts, I've never met anyone else that has it (except my son). It doesn't bother me that much but is a bit annoying. Sometimes I'd like to just stick my tongue out at someone with confidence

Old 08-10-2005, 02:54 PM   #12

Lexi85 HB User

I have had Geographic Tongue since I was about 15. I just came home one night and it was there, figured it would clear up, but it never did. I actually went to the doctor for it a few times and they misdiagnosed me with Thrush. When I went to visit another doctor, she told me it was GT and that it was harmleess...however, my tongue gets extremely aggravated when I chew a lot of cinnamon gum. And I chew a lot, since I also suffer from chronic bad breath, most likely due to my sinuses, which I'm going to get checked out ASAP. GT can also be a symptom of BB.

Other than that, I've never had any bad side effects from it. I never open my mouth anyway due to my breath, so GT is the least of my problems.

Old 10-16-2005, 08:40 PM   #13
(female)

Domsmim HB User

Hi,
I was told by the doctor that my daughter had a geographic tongue and that it was nothing to worry about. I have never heard my daughter complain about any thing in relation to her tongue. Maybe because she developed it at such a young age it feels and appers as a normal tongue to her. This is the first time I've heard the term geographic tongue since I was told she had one.
Peace to you and yours,
Domsmim

Old 10-17-2005, 05:59 AM   #14
(female)

~mum~ HB User

Hi,

I can relate to a lot of what you've all said. I first noticed it in my early 20's, was also misdiagnosed with thrush. The main things that aggravate it in my case are pineapple and cinnamon gum/mints. I cant have the cinnamon stuff at all as it leaves my tongue burnt, the first time i thought i must have burnt my tongue on a hot coffee or something but couldnt remember doing it till i realised what it was from. Its annoyed as i really love cinnamon flavoured stuff, but i cant taste food for a week so not really worth it. I cant see any markings on my tongue now like i used to, but it obviously must still effect me somehow as i still get reactions.

I also had never heard of it until i got it, and havent heard of anybody else having it. I guess its not somethiing people mention a lot and you dont generally notice peoples tongues but sounds like its more common then i realised

Closed Thread