It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2004, 02:51 PM   #1
Inactive

Mario21 HB User
tonsils are gone!

well, i've been home from surgery for about 2 hours now. i feel better than i though, but still in some pain. my main problem is my tongue hurts, and my uvula is huge and it keeps blocking my airway. the spots where the tonsils were, doesn't really hurt thanks to some good meds, but, off to get more rest, hopefully my uvula will shrink a little so i can swallow and breath and stuff. anyone else have a swollen uvula after tonsilectomy. also, if anyone wants to post any tips on getting through this, it would be awesome. thanx, i'll keep everyone updated.

Old 07-27-2004, 04:50 PM   #2

Mich4 HB User
Re: tonsils are gone!

I hope you feel better soon. I just posted on my "tonsil issues". Feel free to venture there if you feel up to it.
Take care of yourself.
Mich4

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2004, 07:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario21
well, i've been home from surgery for about 2 hours now. i feel better than i though, but still in some pain. my main problem is my tongue hurts, and my uvula is huge and it keeps blocking my airway. the spots where the tonsils were, doesn't really hurt thanks to some good meds, but, off to get more rest, hopefully my uvula will shrink a little so i can swallow and breath and stuff. anyone else have a swollen uvula after tonsilectomy. also, if anyone wants to post any tips on getting through this, it would be awesome. thanx, i'll keep everyone updated.
Yes when i had my tonsils out my uvula was 3x bigger than normal. It happens to everyone but they should have given you steroids to deal with that problem. Here are some suggestions about your recovery.

~ First make sure you take your pain meds when scheduled even if it means waking up in the middle of the night beleive me if you don't you will be in excreciating pain in the morning.

~ If you are like me I couldn't eat anything for almost 2 weeks try taking your pain pills with jello and they will slide right down.

~ The most important thing and probably something they already told you is DRINK DRINK DRINK!! If you don't you could cause them to have to go back in and reseal delaying your recovery. Oh and froszen slushies are excellent.

~When your finally ready to start back on food and if your still in pain take a pain pill 1/2 an hour before eating and you might want to start with soft things like soup or mash potatoes.

I don't know how old you are but I know recoverys are worse on some people than others. I went thru my surgery with about 3 others on this board and they all had a better recovery than me and I was the youngest.(18)

I'm sure your doctor probably told you that days 4,and 5 would probably be the worse but thats not always true my worst days were 6 and 7. Good luck and if you have any ?'s Im here.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:51 AM   #4
Inactive

Mario21 HB User

well, i'm 22. my recovery doesn't seem that bad as of now, but i'm not gonna say its great till i get to 1 week cuz i know theres that crap time in there when the scabs will start falling off. as of now, i don't feel anything where my tonsils were. the only minor discomfort i have is my uvula and only when i swallow. knock on wood. i'm still sticking to only broth and ice popcicles because i don't want to mess with dairy with such a swollen uvula because of the mucos thickening. the nurse told me today, day 2, i could try some scrambled eggs and mac and cheese, lol. but i'm not going to attempt food either until my uvula goes down cuz i can barely breath past it, let alone swalllow food. it has gotten a lil smaller, so hopefully by tomorrow morning, it'll be bareable. all my meds are liquid form, so i have no problem taking them. amoxicillin tastes sooo good. i love that, too bad its only 1 time every 8 hours, lol. pain med is gross, thats double the amount, double the times, haha. figures. but i'm takin tylenol with codein. i dunno if i'm not in pain because of the meds, or i'm just not in pain. but i'm doin better than expected, but i won't talk too soon, cuz i know i still got some scabs to deal with in a few days. thanx for the reply, and sorry for the long message, i haven't talked to anyone in 2 days, so once i get the chance, i just go off, haha. bye

Old 07-29-2004, 09:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
well, i'm 22. my recovery doesn't seem that bad as of now, but i'm not gonna say its great till i get to 1 week cuz i know theres that crap time in there when the scabs will start falling off. as of now, i don't feel anything where my tonsils were. the only minor discomfort i have is my uvula and only when i swallow. knock on wood. i'm still sticking to only broth and ice popcicles because i don't want to mess with dairy with such a swollen uvula because of the mucos thickening. the nurse told me today, day 2, i could try some scrambled eggs and mac and cheese, lol. but i'm not going to attempt food either until my uvula goes down cuz i can barely breath past it, let alone swalllow food. it has gotten a lil smaller, so hopefully by tomorrow morning, it'll be bareable. all my meds are liquid form, so i have no problem taking them. amoxicillin tastes sooo good. i love that, too bad its only 1 time every 8 hours, lol. pain med is gross, thats double the amount, double the times, haha. figures. but i'm takin tylenol with codein. i dunno if i'm not in pain because of the meds, or i'm just not in pain. but i'm doin better than expected, but i won't talk too soon, cuz i know i still got some scabs to deal with in a few days. thanx for the reply, and sorry for the long message, i haven't talked to anyone in 2 days, so once i get the chance, i just go off, haha. bye
well it sounds like your recovery is going well. EERRR Im jelious my recovery was so miserable. I had my tonsils taken out 1 week after my 18th birthday. (some birthday present). Anyways Its probably a good idea to hold off soild foods until your uvula shrinks. But your lucky I didn't have liquid meds I had percocet with codeine pills,an antibiodic pill and steroid pills so I had to find a way to take mine. I hope your recovery continues to go well and i forgot to mention you'll want to stay away from spicy foods such as mexican food for awhile. Good luck and Peace out!!

Old 07-29-2004, 10:42 AM   #6
Inactive

Mario21 HB User

i hate spicy food anyway, lol. so i always stay away from it. so far, i've had pudding, ice cream, and popcicles which all are really good. i tried some mashed potatos, but those are a lil rough, cuz i hafta have them cold, so they hurt some, so no more of those. also, a new fresh loaf of white bread, with some margerine is ok. i don't eat the crust, but the soft middle with some soft margerine seems to go down pretty well. as of now, its day 3, and my uvula is smaller, and less painful, but i can feel the pain moving to where my tonsils where. now it feels like a bad case of tonsilitis. which is ok, cuz its a pain i'm used to, so just knowing that this is the last time i will ever feel this pain, makes me not even care, lol. my mom just called my surgeon and she found out he left my adniods (sp) for some reason. he said they looked fine. that kinda pisses me off, cuz its like, i'm in pain, you were up there with a knife, why not cut the damn things out. do those usually cause less problems then tonsils? just seems silly to be up there and not take them out.

Old 07-30-2004, 11:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
i hate spicy food anyway, lol. so i always stay away from it. so far, i've had pudding, ice cream, and popcicles which all are really good. i tried some mashed potatos, but those are a lil rough, cuz i hafta have them cold, so they hurt some, so no more of those. also, a new fresh loaf of white bread, with some margerine is ok. i don't eat the crust, but the soft middle with some soft margerine seems to go down pretty well. as of now, its day 3, and my uvula is smaller, and less painful, but i can feel the pain moving to where my tonsils where. now it feels like a bad case of tonsilitis. which is ok, cuz its a pain i'm used to, so just knowing that this is the last time i will ever feel this pain, makes me not even care, lol. my mom just called my surgeon and she found out he left my adniods (sp) for some reason. he said they looked fine. that kinda pisses me off, cuz its like, i'm in pain, you were up there with a knife, why not cut the damn things out. do those usually cause less problems then tonsils? just seems silly to be up there and not take them out.
You really hate spicy food oh thats a shame you really don't know what your missing its the best. Im glad for you that you can actually eat something although it is a little suprising you are doing so well. Don't you find it hard to eat ice cream for me I couldn't eat it because it produced extra mucous (a lovely thought I know) Anyways yes adenoids are suppose to cause less trouble that tonsils but if you snore adenoids could be the cause. I use to snore before my surgery so the ent thought he would have to take my adenoids out but much to my suprise he said there wasn't anything wrong with them but he did a turbnet reduction instead meaning he cut some cartilage known as turbents. There close to the adenoids I think............. .........
anyways it does seem pretty point less not to take them out while your already up there but I had a friend who only had his adenoids removed and not his tonsils I thought that was really weird. So what did your doctor use??? Lazers??? I had a electrocaulterizing knife aka a bovie. Well I better stop rambling now!! Hope you recovery continues well.

Last edited by alleycat; 07-30-2004 at 11:44 AM.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:19 PM   #8
Inactive

Mario21 HB User

yeah, this entire experience has been a blur for me. i dunno if anyone remembers, but i was supposed to have this surgery about 2 months ago, but something happened with the insurance and my last surgeon, and that fell through. well, i found this new guy, and just saw him once, and was like, "yeah, i was supposed to have them out." he looked down my throat, and said "ok, call my nurse and schedual an appt for surgery." so a month later, hes operating, lol. i didn't even remember what he looked like. so then i took a "shot" of some acidic stuff, they put something in my IV and asked if i felt dizzy. i was like "hell yeah i'm dizzy." then i remember my mom kissing me, me making fun of the lights in the OR cuz i said "i thought they only had these in the movies." then i woke up, lol. i dunno what he used or anything. but i'm so happy my recovery has been this good so far. eating actually makes everything feel better. if i feel dry or pain, i eat some ice cream, or drink water, or have a popcicle and it fine. but i'm not saying anything till i can eat some ribs, lol. so i'll put the final input on the operation once i can eat actual food and sing again, lol. but, so far so good. honestly, if i couldn't see my throat, and didn't know i had the operation, i would just think i had tonsilitis again.

Old 07-30-2004, 08:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
yeah, this entire experience has been a blur for me. i dunno if anyone remembers, but i was supposed to have this surgery about 2 months ago, but something happened with the insurance and my last surgeon, and that fell through. well, i found this new guy, and just saw him once, and was like, "yeah, i was supposed to have them out." he looked down my throat, and said "ok, call my nurse and schedual an appt for surgery." so a month later, hes operating, lol. i didn't even remember what he looked like. so then i took a "shot" of some acidic stuff, they put something in my IV and asked if i felt dizzy. i was like "hell yeah i'm dizzy." then i remember my mom kissing me, me making fun of the lights in the OR cuz i said "i thought they only had these in the movies." then i woke up, lol. i dunno what he used or anything. but i'm so happy my recovery has been this good so far. eating actually makes everything feel better. if i feel dry or pain, i eat some ice cream, or drink water, or have a popcicle and it fine. but i'm not saying anything till i can eat some ribs, lol. so i'll put the final input on the operation once i can eat actual food and sing again, lol. but, so far so good. honestly, if i couldn't see my throat, and didn't know i had the operation, i would just think i had tonsilitis again.
Hee Hee Hee I love your rendition of your surgery. If I had to guess what your doctor had used I think I would guess a homic scapel due to how well you are recovering its a scapel that keeps it wet during the whole procedure it's suppose to cut healing time in half. Good luck on being able to eat those ribs Im sure you'll be able in no time.

Old 07-31-2004, 10:33 PM   #10
Inactive

Mario21 HB User

well i'm now in my ear pain phase. it isn't bad, just when i eat something too hard or too warm. i just get a throat to ear pain. lasts about 2-3 min. i think my scabs are starting to fall off too. feels like peeling skin is all over my throat, so annoying. i think that thats what it is. any sure fire ways to tell your scabs are comin off besides actually seein them off?

Last edited by Mario21; 07-31-2004 at 11:57 PM.

Old 08-01-2004, 10:07 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
well i'm now in my ear pain phase. it isn't bad, just when i eat something too hard or too warm. i just get a throat to ear pain. lasts about 2-3 min. i think my scabs are starting to fall off too. feels like peeling skin is all over my throat, so annoying. i think that thats what it is. any sure fire ways to tell your scabs are comin off besides actually seein them off?
I would say your scabs are probably comming off now. Usually when the ear pain starts that sybols the beging of losing the scab.

Old 08-01-2004, 11:41 PM   #12
Inactive

Mario21 HB User

did anyone experince any weird feelings in their chest? like, not my chest like i'm having chest pain....but it almost feels like from lack of food or something. right in the middle, like, in my esophugus, feels weird. like, i wanna belch a lot or something. it kinda goes away after i eat, but if i eat a lot of cold stuff, it comes back. anyone know whats up with this?

Old 08-03-2004, 07:28 AM   #13
Inactive

Mario21 HB User

ahhh, day 8 and heres the pain i've been missing, lol. today is prolly the worst pain so far. left side, straight into my ear, lol. i had a nice bleeding episode last night too. the word, gushing comes to mind. not fun at all. guess i was pushing my luck eating that slice of pizza, lol. back to broth and water and popcicles. at least the dang scabs are startin to come off i guess, its about time. the chest thing i've decided is acid reflux. i think its from the tylenol.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:34 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
ahhh, day 8 and heres the pain i've been missing, lol. today is prolly the worst pain so far. left side, straight into my ear, lol. i had a nice bleeding episode last night too. the word, gushing comes to mind. not fun at all. guess i was pushing my luck eating that slice of pizza, lol. back to broth and water and popcicles. at least the dang scabs are startin to come off i guess, its about time. the chest thing i've decided is acid reflux. i think its from the tylenol.
Yup sounds like your right on track. Your gushing epidsode doesn't sound to fun though. When I had my surgery about day 6 or 7 I tried to eat mashed up scrambled eggs and I threw up talk about fun I was in so much pain. Well you know if you ever get tired of plain old broth melt a popcicle and have grape stew or lime soup. Hope your recovery continues well.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:40 PM   #15

jaddz HB User

Sounds like you are doing pretty well! My question is...after surgery, did you actually feel like you were choking on your uvula? If so, how long did that sensation last? Also, what instruments were used in your surgery? Was it Coblation? Thanks!!

Closed Thread