It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2004, 09:24 AM   #1
(male)

Unhealthy123 HB User
Mom has less than a year to live if she has cancer?

Hi,

My mom is only 48 and about a year ago she started coughing profusely and basically had most of the symptoms of lung cancer. Luckily it was Sarcoidosis, which can be cured/ controlled.

So they gave her a couple of medicines to take... and sure enough the symptoms are all but gone (as of currently).

But, about a month or 2 ago... she started feeling a little bit dissy and/or disoriented from time to time, and constantly had shortness of breath whenever she'd walk up a flight of stairs, or walk for an extended period of time,etc. THIS symptom got worse and more recurrent as time passed by. Also (really more recently actually), whenever she'd go to sleep, and put her hand on her left side (of her abdomen i'm guessing), she apparently has trouble breathing, or couldn't breathe.

So FINALLY she decides to go to the doctor... and they did a few tests. Her lung capacity is about 75%. Is that bad at all? The doctor said that most of the things with her lungs are basically fine, but he fears that there might be a growth somewhere that's blocking airflow... and IF it is cancer... that she might have less than a year to live... which brings me to these questions:

1. What's the probability that it is something malignant? Please, tell me the truth.
2. What type of cancer does this point to if it is, infact, cancer (god forbid)?
3. Based on the symptoms and the severity of them... what stage would this "cancer" most likely be in?

I know that we'd have to wait for various other tests to be certain what it is... but the curiosity is getting to me. So I figured some unofficial opinions and diagnosis's couldn't hurt, right?

Thanks guys. You're all usually a bunch of help, so if you could help me out with these things i'd be VERY gratefull.

Thanks again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2004, 08:10 PM   #2
(female)

damaged_tirips HB User
Re: Mom has less than a year to live if she has cancer?

I'm sorry to hear that your mom is going through all this, but unfortunately I have no advice, I just have to say that it angers me to NO end when the doctors give someone "this many days/months/years" to live. Its crap, YOU can stay healthy, and YOU can determine how long you wanna fight and live. Please don't let a doctor's life expectancy sentence effect your hope or your mom's recovery.

I don't understand why they do that, when that in itself affects how well you do. '

By the way I would get a second opinion.

Also, IF it is cancer, whatever the treatment, I know this may sound crazy, but she needs to cut out sugar and grains because cancer feeds on this.

I pray and hope everything turns out okay, sorry I wasn't much help!

Old 07-29-2004, 05:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I think the big thing here is to get the tests she needs to determine if it is or is not cancer. After that point I'd get a second opinion to be very certain. Anything as major as cancer always deems a second opinion.

As for opinions well you could expect either because I've heard of folks having lung cancer and living but on the other hand my uncle passed away last year after being diagnosed. He lived about 4 months but he didn't die from the cancer, he actually died from the pnemonia that was a result of the cancer and not cancer itself. This is can happen to folks who have any type of cancer not just lung cancer.

Last summer a friend of the family was diagnosed with a very rare cancer in his nasal passage. The doctors gave him 3 months to live. He did his chemo and surgery and he is still alive today. He beat the odds and so have many other folks.

Some types of cancer such as brain cancer die a majority of the time since it is something that is inoperable.

I hope all works out for you and your family.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:49 AM   #4
(male)

Unhealthy123 HB User

Yea I know that more tests need to be done, in fact... that's what we're waiting for.

But what about the symptoms? What cancer are they usually associated with?

Thanks for everything guys, and keep the replies coming.

Old 07-29-2004, 08:13 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User

omg, i can't believe a dr would dare to tell someone "IF" it is cancer you would have less than a year to live. how un-true.............. my aunt after years of smoking, they found a small mass in her lung, she also had trouble breathing. they removed part of it and it has been 2 years now. she is fine. on oxygen because of the years of smoking, but fine.
another dear friend who never smoked a day in her life, they found a mass in her lung. she to after surgery is fine.
so i would say, go get the mri's, cat scans, whatever it takes to see what is in the lungs and get it taken care of.
that is very unethical for a dr to make that kind of statement based on a guess. good luck to your mom and will be praying for her that all will be ok.
hugs
karen

Old 07-29-2004, 11:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

In the case of my uncle his lung capacity deteriorated fairly quick however he worked every till about a week or so before he passed away, he was pretty determined.
Originally they thought he had the flu, he was congested and went to see a doctor who passed it off. He went back again at the end of February when he didn't get any better and they told him he had pnemonia and took and xray that is when they found one spot on his lungs. Basically he was tired all the time and felt as though anyone would feel with the flue or pnemonia with chest pains.
About a month later an onocologist xrayed him again and it spread to his other lung. They were going to do chemo and operate if necessary. He health went down hill from March until the first week of June when he passed away. He was in the ICU with severe pnemonia and they couldnt do any chemo until the got better. He gotten better and was transfered out of the ICU and that night he passed away when his lungs filled up.

For what it is worth he never smoked a day in his life, his wife never smoked either so smoking was not the cause at all. The only thing they can figure is he possibly could of been exposed to something where he worked. He was a janitor for a medical equipment building company.

Closed Thread