It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2004, 12:19 PM   #1

Christin HB User
Injured by injection?

About 5-6 months ago, I received an injection of Valium in the emergency room. They injected it into my hip. It hurt worse than any other injection I had ever received...I was crying for 20 minutes. What's really weird though, is that I STILL have pain at the injection site! It feels like a bad bruise, but there is nothing visible. Any ideas about what might have happened, what to do about it? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 12:51 PM   #2

ldylavender HB User
Re: Injured by injection?

I have to give myself injections every month and was told to teach my husband how to do it too. I asked the nurse about him giving me my shot in my hip, and she said no because there were too many nerves at that site. So maybe they hit a nerve or something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 05:57 PM   #3

Christin HB User

That's what I have been thinking, either that, or could they have hit the bone?

Old 08-05-2004, 06:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I doubt that they hit the bone, since most people have enough muscle and other padding covering the bones in this area. It depends on what you mean by your "hip." I know that injections are frequently given in the butt, and when they are given there they have to be careful not to hit nerves, so there are guidelines about where to put it. When I was in the hospital they gave me some injections on the ouside part of my thigh. In theory, I can't think of any nerves that are near the surface in the hip area. Also, I would think that if they hit a nerve you would have pain radiating to wherever that nerve goes. If you are worried, you could call your doctor and ask what you should do about it.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

I was taught to give injections high up on the buttocks, the fat pad above the larger portion of buttocks. Yes, there are many nerves there. They prefer shots to ge given in the muscle and if they give it too far down it will be in the fat.

Sounds like a nerve was damaged. Damaged nerves are not very forgiving.

Old 08-06-2004, 06:54 PM   #6

Christin HB User

Thanks for the replies! By "hip", I mean at the top and outside part of my thigh. Am trying to hold off any doctor visits til new insurance kicks in in January, but just thought I would throw the question out there and maybe someone else has had this happen or something. I can't even figure out how to google a search for this issue...tried some different queries and ended up on some sight teaching junkies how to hide track marks...YIKES!

Old 08-06-2004, 07:35 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Could have hit a nerve. They hit anerve on my second round of Prolotherapy. It took me months to get over. But, it did heal, eventually.

Ya gotta think about it, they took a very sharp object and stuck it in your body. It penetrated your flesh. Does it feel inflammed? Infected?

When you had it done you were tense, right? Did you get it from a real nurse or an aide? I always demand that a doc do it, and then the spine guy hit a nerve so that doens't always work.

When you press on it, is there a knot?

You might have just upset a nerve and it will take awhile for it to heal.

good luck

Old 08-06-2004, 08:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

There really aren't any major nerves near the surface in that area. I'm guessing that they just really upset the muscle. They could have hit a very small nerve, maybe nicked a small blood vessel? But there's nothing majorly important there, so don't worry about permanent debilitating injury resulting from this. Not to say that your pain isn't significant, but it doesn't seem that it is urgent that you see a doctor right away as long as you don't mind waiting out the pain. Who knows, perhaps by the time you get your insurance the pain will be gone. Sometimes it just takes time. And since you've already waited a few months, I don't see any harm in waiting longer.

Closed Thread