It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
Stitches

About 2 weeks ago, I had some dental work done. The stitches should dissolve on their own in 5-10 days after surgery. However, it's been a little over 2 weeks now and the wound has completely healed. Is there any concern, or should I just continue to wait it out?

Last edited by Andrew29; 08-05-2004 at 01:14 PM.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Stitches

Those type of stitches really don't dissolve all the well, generally they will fester and come out that way instead of actually dissolving. As long as the area is not read or imflamed you should be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2004, 07:04 PM   #3

JennMomTo3 HB User

It can take up to a month for them to dissolve. If they get bothersome go and get them checked.

Old 08-13-2004, 04:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

After I had a surgery done on my c-spine for a herniated disc, (they went in from the front of my neck)I had about a two inch incision there.well the NS closed the wound with dissolvable sutures and also ran a thin strip of dermabond(skin superglue?)across it and pulled the two sides together,unfortunetly after aabout a week or two, two of the small sutures started to work there way out from the incision.I was rather concerned about this as I thought it would end up healing this way with the stupid sutures hanging outside my neck.I talked to my primary doc while I had to see him for something else and was told that with the dissolvable type of sutures, they have to actually be under the skin to dissolve properly.he then reached up and just gave the sutures a little tug and they came right out.the bottom had dissolved under the skin and there really was nothing holding them there.Try giving the sutures a bit og a tug with either your fingers or a tweezers and see if they don't pop right out.do not pull hard.If they are actually dissolved underneath the skin, they will come out with little resistance.If they don't, leave them alone for about another week or so,and then try it again.eventually you will be able to do this.it just takes time.Hope this helped,Marcia

Closed Thread