It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2004, 06:15 PM   #1

Beckybeck HB User
Fecal fat

Hi I went to the doctor today and they want to test me for fecal fat. For the test i am supposed to be on a high fat diet (100grams) of fat for 3 days prior to collection and then during collection. I must collect all bowel movements for 72 hour (3 days!), into a special container. I am very worried about the results and to be honest I am grossed out about this test. Has anyone ever done somthing like or similiar to this before? Any input would be great
Thanks,
Becky

Old 08-09-2004, 06:26 PM   #2

lewissage HB User
Re: Fecal fat

Sorry Becky,
You are on your own on this one. I didn't want you to not have any responses, so I thought I'd at least give some sympathy. It sound like you have a very good doctor at least he's looking under every rock, and please excuse the pun in every hole.

Live well

lewis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

I haven't done this test but have done a fecal blood test. Yes it is gross but what you do in the privacy of your bathroom is YOUR business and no one else need know what you have to do.

Why do they want this test done? Gall bladder problem?

Old 08-11-2004, 05:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

This test is used to evaluate fat absorption as an indication of liver, gallbladder, pancreas, and intestinal functions.

Lipid (fat) malabsorption is called steatorrhea. Normal lipid absorption requires bile from the gallbladder (or liver if the gallbladder has been removed), enzymes from the pancreas, and a normal intestines.

Normal Values:
Less than 7g of fat per 24-hours

What abnormal results mean:
Decreased fat absorption may result from:
biliary cancer
biliary stricture
celiac disease
cholelithiasis
chronic pancreatitis
Crohn's disease
cystic fibrosis
pancreatic cancer
pancreatitis
radiation enteritis
short bowel syndrome (e.g., from surgery or congenital anomaly)
sprue
Whipple's disease

Old 08-11-2004, 06:07 AM   #5

Beckybeck HB User

Thanks, the thing is I wonder why they need soo much!

Old 08-11-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

It might not be that they need so much but more that they need a sample each time you have a bowel movement so they can check the amounts each time as well as the overall amount of fat that is left in the stool.
I realize it's a bit of a disgusting thing to do but it is very important that it is done to rule out any of the above illnessness mentioned.
You are very lucky, most doctors wouldn't even think to do such a test.

Old 05-01-2005, 04:18 AM   #7

matthewinuk HB User

Yes, you tend to find that with steattorhoea (as it is correctly spelt) can be present with some motions and not others. I guess you must have pale coloured stools which smell bad and float or are difficult to flush. I've got it at the moment, currently hoping it will just "go away". So anyway, yeah, collect it over several days and you're guarenteed to get some fatty poop. I will post again when I've looked up this is Kumar and Clark. bye

Old 05-01-2005, 04:25 AM   #8

matthewinuk HB User

they have to test it to see if there is more than 17mmol of fat per day. they measure the total from your collection and divide by three to give a more accurate result. Particularly useful if constipated as well because some people might not go every day.

Closed Thread