It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2004, 03:57 PM   #1

LAPRY HB User
Talking Extreme Pain After Blood Work

I had a blood test done on Saturday. During the test, the tech "touched" something and a sharp pain shot down my arm and into my thumb. I jumped it hurt so bad. I told her about it and she apologized and went to the other arm. The arm was sore all day and if I fully extended it I had a sharp pain like an ice pick about 5 inches above my wrist and then shooting into my thumb. Today is Monday and I still have the pain. It is so severe that I almost cry each time I forget and reach for something and extend my arm. Has anyone else had pain for this long? Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2004, 09:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Extreme Pain After Blood Work

It is possible she may have hit a nerve somewhere. If it still continues I'd at least call the place that did the bloodwork and ask them what to do. Hopefully she did no damage. If they are of no help call the doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2004, 04:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I agree with Kissa,sounds like she hit a nerve.I would do what Kissa suggests and maybe it will eventually calm down on it's own.It may take a while as i know from experience that the nerves are NOT very forgiving.But by all means, if the symptoms become worse or there is absolutely no improvement in about a week, i would definitely see your Dr.,or if the pain becomes to much to handle, see your doc as well.unfortunetly, there are not many forms of treatment for nerve pain.I would suggest that you might try some aleeve or some other anti inflamitory type med.I am not sure just what the blood test was for but make sure that he AI type meds are not contraindicated for what ever your condition is that prompted the blood draw in the first place.I know how you feel,trust me,and it sucks!hopefully things will calm down soon for you.Take care,Marcia

Old 08-24-2004, 12:46 PM   #4

LAPRY HB User

Thanks for the info. I went to my doctor this morning. It hurt so bad last night when I forgot and used it to pick up a sock out of the floor that I cried, so I went in this morning. Doc said same thing, may have inflammed the nerve, if not better in a week, see him again. A week seems so long!!! The pain when I forget and use the arm is so bad I cry. Even in the doc office, I reached for my purse and then fell in the floor the pain was so sharp and severe. Hope it gets better soon, this is the pits.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPRY
Thanks for the info. I went to my doctor this morning. It hurt so bad last night when I forgot and used it to pick up a sock out of the floor that I cried, so I went in this morning. Doc said same thing, may have inflammed the nerve, if not better in a week, see him again. A week seems so long!!! The pain when I forget and use the arm is so bad I cry. Even in the doc office, I reached for my purse and then fell in the floor the pain was so sharp and severe. Hope it gets better soon, this is the pits.
Im sorry that does sound painfull did the doc give you any pain killers if not you might try some tylenol to control the pain.

Closed Thread