It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2004, 05:35 PM   #1
(female)

Tabitha111 HB User
Question Tingling Feet And Calves - Help!!!

Hi. I am a 33-year old female. For a couple of months, I have had DAILY on/off tingling in my feet that sometimes radiates into my calves. Usually it's only in the right leg, but occassionally I get the same sensations in my left leg. I still have feeling and no pain, just the tingling. It seems as if the tingling is reoccurring more often for longer periods of time. Recently, I also feel as if I am tired all of the time. On the average, I get 8 hours of sleep a night, with no interruptions. I have read that it could be caused from a vitamin deficiency. Should I be concerned and go to the doctor? What could be causing this? Any feedback you have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Last edited by Tabitha111; 09-04-2004 at 06:57 PM.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User
Re: Tingling Feet And Calves - Help!!!

hi tabitha, i have tingling in calf plus other symptoms. I am finally seeing neuro next week, mine started after having baby, can you think of any thing which has triggered it? i am slightly over weight so i dont know if thats caused it? love april x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2004, 06:42 PM   #3
(female)

Tabitha111 HB User

Hi April. Thanks for replying. I am overweight too, but have never had this problem before. I am on Zoloft and take Xanax as needed for stress and anxiety. I am uncertain if these symptoms I am having could be stress related. I was going to try a multi-vitamin to see if that helps. Please keep me updated on what your doctor says. Thanks, Tabitha.

Old 09-09-2004, 08:11 AM   #4

ms_jalien HB User

Hello. Have them test you for B12 defiency. I had problems with my legs and feet for years until I was recently diagnosed as deficent. I am still having problems with numbness in my feet, but am still waiting for the results of other tests such as an MRI scan.

Let me know how you get on!

Old 09-09-2004, 08:16 AM   #5

ms_jalien HB User

I should also mention that before I was diagnosed I put it down to stress and anxiety which can also be symptoms of deficency. I think doctors can miss this form of anaemia quite easily as you can be deficient without your blood count showing up as being anaemic, so do insist of having a proper test for it.

I was also deficient in Folic acid despite not being a vegan or vegetarian. My doctor was also quite disbeliving as I am not thin and am slightly overweight myself.

Old 09-19-2004, 02:01 PM   #6
(female)

southerner HB User

Hi, sounds like you might have restless leg, I sure hope not, it can make life miserable.
I have had restless leg as long as I can remember, thank goodness there is med's that will give you some relief. You need to see a Neuro. even though you sleep 8 hrs. it might not be a restfull sleep, do you dream?

Old 09-19-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User

Hi, I have the same symptoms you do except Im a Diabetic and I also take xanax, I was just tested by a neurologist and the test came up negative, and I am also a little overweight. So I dont know what could cause it, Have you been checked for Diabetes? I also get a tingling in my nose and around my mouth people think Im nuts, becasue I cant even stand to have water run over my hands when it starts.. If you find anything out let me know. good luck

Old 09-19-2004, 05:28 PM   #8
Inactive

Jack51 HB User

Are you taking any medicines, other than the ones you mentioned?
You need to have your fasting glucose tested. Find a good, calibrated glucose meter, and you can do it yourself. Your 8 hour fasting glucose level, should be less than 110. Between 110 and 125 is considered glucose intolerant, or pre diabetic. 125, or greater, will give you a diagnoses of being diabetic. The numbers were recently shifted down. It sounds as though it could be related to diabetes, which can cause nerve damge, or poor circulation in your legs due to peripheral artery disease (PAD). If it were PAD, you would have pain and heaviness in one or both legs. There is a simple, painless test they can do to check your circulation.
You are describing symptoms of peripheral neuropathy (PN) . There are a host of causes. Some medicines, such as statins (lipitor) and fenofibrates (tricor), can cause this in some people. A neurologist would want to do many tests, probably, I can tell you. They can do "nerve conduction studies" that involve inserting very small needles into various locations, along your leg. They then monitor the response of the nerve, to a small electrical stimulation.
Hope you figure this out soon, but, in the meantime, exercise (walking) is very good for leg ailments.

Last edited by Jack51; 09-19-2004 at 05:30 PM. Reason: typo

Old 09-19-2004, 08:02 PM   #9
(female)

carolinawoman56 HB User

I was having problems with legs and pain, and other symptoms and my dr told me I had a vitamin deficiency. She told me to go to Walmart and buy the generic brand they had. It is a Vitamin B complex vitamin. Within days my problem was gone.
I had always heard that the B vitamins are really good to take. I am really convinced of it now.

Debbie

Old 09-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #10

LYMPH WORRIER HB User

I Usually Get Numbness Of Body Parts (mostly Hands, Fingers And Feet) Due To Anxiety Attacks. It Feels Like They Are "falling Asleep". This Could Be The Cause Or It Could Be Something Else.

Closed Thread