It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2004, 03:42 PM   #1

gsnana HB User
Question HELP!! Itching under arm cast is driving us nuts

HELP!!!

My 12 year old grandson has a full fibre glass cast on (shoulder to hand - fingers are free) and he is going nuts with the itching. We tried the hair dryer cool air thing but the cast is so well fitted that the air really isn't helping at all. He can't sleep, he is exhausted from this and it is affecting all aspects of his life. He has only had it on 4 days and has SIX MORE WEEKS to go with it!

Can anyone suggest anything to try and help this poor little soul get some relief and at least get some rest? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: HELP!! Itching under arm cast is driving us nuts

try benadryl. that should help. When I broke my leg I had a full leg cast and the benadryl helped. It will def help him sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Tv shows always show someone using a wire hanger to push up under the cast.. but be careful.. could scratch!

I think benedryl sounds like a good idea.

Hope he gets to feeling better!

Old 10-04-2004, 10:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Yup... you should never stick anything up inside the cast. Especially after it's been on for a while. The skin gets all funky and can be easier to damage. You don't want to cut or scratch the skin under there where you can't clean it. Hopefully it will get better soon. The cast should loosen, too, which can make things easier.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:04 AM   #5

gsnana HB User
Smile Re: HELP!! Itching under arm cast is driving us nuts

Thanks very much for your replies - we will try the Benadryl - his mom (my daughter) was rather reluctant to use drugs, but I think the anticipated benefit from a little 'artificial' help will far outweigh any reservations about giving drugs to a child.

I believe loss of sleep and exhaustion is far more harmful than a little Benadryl now and then.

Thanks again - this has been very helpful!

Old 10-05-2004, 10:33 PM   #6
Inactive

OneWayOut HB User

yea...definitely dont use objects......
when i had my leg cast removed, the doctor's mouth fell open when 6 pencil pieces and the end of a ruler fell out~

Old 10-06-2004, 04:19 AM   #7

uchimama HB User

I always used a fly swatter handle-one of the metal ones. It can't scratch like a wire and can't break like a plastic swatter might. I would have died without it.

Old 10-06-2004, 11:42 PM   #8
Inactive

OneWayOut HB User

If it wasnt a full arm cast you could do what i did when i broke my wrist....
i somehow figured out a way to feed a piece of that rough, fuzzy hemp string in one side and out the other. Then i would hold each end and pull them diagonally away from eachother while pulling down and sort of "floss" around my arm. It was a life saver.

Last edited by OneWayOut; 10-08-2004 at 08:54 AM.

Old 10-07-2004, 06:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayOut
yea...definitely dont use objects......
when i had my leg cast removed, the doctor's mouth fell open when 6 pencil pieces and the end of a ruler fell out~
LOL

Last edited by twizliz; 10-07-2004 at 06:44 AM.

Old 10-08-2004, 03:36 PM   #10

gsnana HB User

Thanks for the note about the 'hemp string' - after 6 weeks of long cast, they will put on a short one for two weeks and maybe we can try the string then. We tried the Genadryl and it does help to let him sleep. He is not too happy during his waking hours though as the itching is bad - you would think by now medical science would have come up with a remedy for this - geez.

Thanks to all who responded - you were very helpful and I just appreciated the fact you took the time to reply. Good health everyone!!

Old 10-08-2004, 05:04 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User

My grandmother once had a full arm cast and decided to stick a wire hanger inside to scratch. She wound up tearing up the inside of the cast, as well as scratching her arm really bad. Benadryl was the only thing that helped. Also, after a few weeks her doctor was able to start cutting off small pieces of the cast at the shoulder, which helped her a little bit. She had broken both her shoulder and her wrist.

Closed Thread