It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2004, 12:41 PM   #1
(female)

_lilvicki_ HB User
Question weak nails, hair/bruising easily.

Hi everyone.. I found out I had mono the other day and have been sick for about 3 weeks. Along with some other symptoms, I am very weak to the point where taking a shower or opening a bottle of water has become a difficult task. I pretty much lost my appetite and when I eat something I get nauseous. Anyway, my question is... well. I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but I've noticed within the last week and half, I've been bruising easily and also my nails have been weak and breaking. My friend came over today and he touched my hair and said it feels like my hair is thinning. I was like..

Does this have anything to do with the mono? If not, does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Grazie<3

Old 10-19-2004, 03:24 PM   #2
(female)

Kime HB User
Re: weak nails, hair/bruising easily.

The weakness and easy bruising are both early signs of scurvy. Your body is using up all its vitamin C to fight the mono. You need to take vitamin C to overcome this. You can try taking 5 grams two or more times a day. Look up Bowel tolerance Vitamin C Mononucleosis for more information about vitamin C and Mono.

I don't know about the hair loss.

Last edited by Kime; 10-20-2004 at 07:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2004, 09:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Could be anemia as well, since you're not getting the proper nutrients because of not feeling hungry. Anemia can cause bruising and hair loss.. feel better!

Old 10-21-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
(female)

arcticablue HB User

You poor thing! I have read a couple of your posts. Some of your symptoms are typical of tick-born illnesses. I got bit by some ticks in the summer and now have Borreliosis (Lyme Disease). I too had easy bruising. In fact, my husband and I were playing around with each other and he smacked my leg with a plastic hanger. My leg bruised and it stayed for 4 weeks. If I bump into anything, I bruise. If someone taps me to hard, I bruise. It's so weird! I feel a lot of the symptoms you feel with mono. I sleep 12-14 hours a day and take several naps during the afternoon. My body aches something terrible! The sleeping is due to the exhaustion, because your immune system is so weak.
Have you ever heard of Wilson's Syndrome? Here are just a few of the many symptoms: fatigue, headaches, migraines, pms, irritability,fluid retention, anxiety, panic attacks, hair loss, depression, decreased memory & concentration, unhealthy nails, constipation, innapropriate weight gain, dry skin, dry hair, insomnia, falling asleep uncontrollably during the day, hives, acid indigestion, asthma, allergies...and there are a ton more. Wilson's Syndrome has something to do with low metabolism. I have had some of these symptoms with my Lyme disease. I do hope that you get better soon!

Old 11-07-2004, 08:38 PM   #5
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

You might try Spirulina. It sounds like you have iron deficiency. Don't take plain iron pills - they just make you constipated. Go to a health bar and get them to juice you up some carrots, spinach & parsley and whatever else you fancy. Green foods help your blood. I agree with the other poster who suggested Vitamin C. Vit. C helps you heal faster from whatever you've got. Great stuff.

Closed Thread