It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2004, 07:40 PM   #1

Brenda2724 HB User
Arrow arm pain when sneezing

my boyfriend gets horrible, sharp pains that run from his shoulders down to his thumbs afew seconds after he sneezes. he has a high tolerance for pain, but this sneezing pain almost brings him to tears. he is a very healthy, athletic 32 yr old with no health problems. can anyone suggest what this might be, or know of anyone else with the same problem? thanks

Last edited by Brenda2724; 11-04-2004 at 07:43 PM.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: arm pain when sneezing

Sounds like he could very well have a disc problem in the C spine area.Could be many reasons such as bone spurs on a vertebrae that are irritating a nerve root when having some sort of sudden movement.Also a herniation of a disc or spinal cord compression.i had this when i coughed during a bad cold run.If this affects his thumb, it would suggest that the problem is most likely in the upper C spine.he should see his doc and have an X ray done(C spine series).But this is just a starting point.He may need and MRI or at the very least here,depending on what shows up on the x ray(by the way, problems that are more in depth and into the vertebrae,will not be picked up on an x ray)he would need a CT.But it definitely sounds like a c spine problem.This can be treated using many different types of modalities,not nescessarily(sp?) surgical.but at any rate, he needs this looked into.hope this helps.Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2004, 03:12 PM   #3

Brenda2724 HB User

Thank you!

Old 04-24-2005, 11:02 PM   #4
(male)

BRW HB User

High I am a new member to Health Boards! I came across the headline arm pain when sneezing from a search engine. I have recently experienced this pain again. I have had several of these attacks in the last few years but none so painful as the other day. This pain leading me to the internet for some possible answers.

First of all let me say I feel your pain!!!

Could you please tell me if anyone has found out anything more on the cause of this pain? Mine lasted for several minutes (Approx. 8 Minutes). I fear that it may have something to do with my heart. They say that the heart stops when you sneeze!

Any information one might have would be greatly appreciated!

BRW

Old 04-25-2005, 05:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Unless this is all accompanied by some sort of heaviness or deep pain in the chest area when these attacks occur, i would seriously doubt that it is cardiac related,unless there are some other symptoms that you did not mention or you have a strong family Hx of cardiac problems?it sounds like this could be like the other poster here and be related more to spinal problems than anything else.it sounds like from what you have stated that this has been a rather progressive thing over time?i would really suggest the same thing here as the other poster and just go to your primary doc,tell him or her about your symptoms and get the ball rolling.pain upon sudden movement is really a classic sign of some sort of spinal nerve involvement.Of course there are other things that could cause this type of thing as well,but i really do think that an MRI of the upper spine would be a great starting point for you.I once threw my lower back out just by a real good sneeze.i could hardly move my legs or do much of anything else for about a week.this was related solely to my sciatic nerve in the low back.stranger things have happened you know?Make an appt with your doc today and get this going.Please keep me posted on what you find,K?FB

Closed Thread