It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 09:28 AM   #1

Tetra HB User
Need help identifying a rash

At least, I think it's a rash, it's rash-like, anyway.

It's on my thumb, I swear I've had something like it before, but it vanished. This time, it won't go. It started out as just two tiny bubbles on the back of my thumb which I promptly scratched into popping (forgive me, I do that to my skin afflictions ^^;; Scratch off, douse with alcohol....repeat the next day. It never really works, but it makes me feel better.) Instead of going away, though, the bubbles began to multiply. I continued scratching them off, and trying more and more different creams and antibiotic liquids, but all it's done for me is make it painful to move my thumb -- this has naught to do with the rash, and all to do with me trying to get rid of it, so don't take that little bit of info into consideration when trying to identify it ^^;

All I have to say for a description of the rash is this -- Tiny, clear-but-thicker-than-water-liquid filled bubbles -- when removed, there is what looks like a pinhole in the middle of the under-layer of skin. I'm guessing this is where the liquid is coming from. They didn't itch at first, but now it's getting unbearably itchy, but only every so often, and he itching feeling becomes very strong for a second or two after popping.

I've tried not popping them, and since I've started this experiment, the bubbles have started spreading onto the rest of my hand.

My friend's mother, who used to be a nurse, said that it had something to do with fungus, and she sprayed it with lamosil. This appeared to make it worse. I'm not sure exactly what my friend's mother was saying about the rash, though, she was speaking a different language.

Sketching is my hobby, I do it everyday, and this rash is definately interfering. PLEASE HELP! ^_^

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2004, 11:26 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User
Re: Need help identifying a rash

i get this on one finger. and man does it itch!!!!! my dr tells me it is a winter thing, but i get it different times all year round. he said they really don't know what causes it, but gave me a perscription for a heavy duty cream, which gets down to the deeper skin. the cream works but is expensive. my co-pay on it is $25.00
mine starts out with an itch, then the bubbles, and i scratch till they are open. and the cream stings after the bubbles have opened. ouch! all the skin peels off, then it is back to normal again.

Old 11-12-2004, 03:28 PM   #3

Tetra HB User

Ah, it would make sense if it was a winter thing! Where did you get the cream?

Old 11-14-2004, 11:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Tetra,
It sounds like a mild form of excema. And the more we fiddle with it the worse it gets, particularly if you break the skin. This will make it more suscepticle to infection and also cause more itching.

You may need to see a dermatologist if it persists, and get a prescription for a cortisone cream or ointment. Stay away from the over-the-counter stuff. They often are so weak they do nothing...and in fact, can make things worse.

zuzu xx

Old 11-14-2004, 01:32 PM   #5

LCLI22 HB User

I have this problem also but I let it go for so long it was on most fingers. The itching and the pain was so bad I needed internal medecine as well as a topical steroid. I also had a few treatments under the blue lights. The Rx is Ultravate in cream or ointment. If I see one little bubble now I apply the ointment and that takes care of it. Funny though, it goes dormant for me in the winter and as soon as warm weather appears so does the eczema.

Please don't pop those bubbles! I think that will make it spread even more (like scratching an ivy rash would). I cringed when I read you do that. Don't let it go too long without help. My understanding is it is coming from within and not just a surface problem.

Old 11-14-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User

i got the cream at the drug store. my doc gave me a perscriptionf or it. it is called Lac-Hydrin 12%
you have to be careful with this stuff cause it goes so deep in your skin. meaning, don't poke at your eyes, son't want to get this stuff in the eyes, etc. i have a habit of just taking a Q-tip and putting the cream on the affected area.
karen

Old 11-14-2004, 08:49 PM   #7

Tetra HB User

Eek!!! Okay, I'll stop popping the bubbles, and I'll make a doctor's appointment. Thanks so much you guys ^^

Closed Thread