It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2005, 06:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
what causes fingernails to bend under and curl?

My 70 year old mother's fingernails started bending under and curling at the ends about 4-5 months ago. Does anyone know what would cause this?

Old 02-06-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: what causes fingernails to bend under and curl?

Ladybug,

Curling fingernails may indicate hypo- or hyper- thyroid, an iron deficiency, maybe also a B12 deficiency.

OR it may be nothing at all to worry about, (does your mom have any other symptoms of any kind?). Are her fingertips affected at all?

zuzu

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 05:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

zuzu8...my mom had a physical done last july....all her blood work was great...no deficiencies at all. this started happening shortly after her physical. she does have something going on with her...they originally thought it was peripheal neuropathy...but tests didnt prove that, although her symptoms are exactly as peripheal neuropathy is described. she is going for more testing this coming week. she asked her neurologist about her nails...but they werent sure what is going on, and didnt seem concerned with it. so we are stumped. could be just an age thing....but just want to be certain that it couldnt be anything else. if you have any other ideas, let me know, so that i can determine if it may or may not be related.

Old 02-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

How is her iron? That could cause that.

If she takes both her thumbs and puts the nails back to back, is there a space in between?? If not, it would be heart related. If all her blood tests came back fine though, I can't see how it could be EITHER of these things, because it would have shown up in the blood. It's probably nothing. Did she ever get acrylic nails?? If she had them for years, (and doesn't anymore) she could have just ruined her nails.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

her iron was fine according to the blood work. i havent asked her about the space between the thumb nails...but in guessing...i would have to say that there is. she doesnt have high blood pressure or anything of the nature...the only ailment she has is whatever is causing the peripheal neuropathy symptoms...otherwise, she is in good health for her age. the only medications she has ever taken is neurontin, dilantin, and cymbalta (not at the same time)---to try to get the neuropathy symptoms under control...and she just started on them last year. I dont know if those could have created the nail problem or not. she has never had acrylic nails...her nails were always healthy looking and grew nicely...so there was never any need for them. thanks for all the possible thoughts. It really is appreciated.

Old 02-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
(female)

sierra_ws HB User

That's odd... I've never heard of that before. Have you come to any conclusions since the original post? Talked to a doctor or anything?

Hi everyone - I'm new.... I just wanted to say hi and that I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

no..i just posted this a couple of days ago. mom is real hard to get to go to the dr..so she keeps putting it off.....i doubt she will go again until she gets sick and needs a dr. I have been after her for a few months now to get her an appt for a check-up...but she always has a reason for not making one. but feel free to offer any suggestions, that way when i do get her to go back to the dr..i can at least ask questions about could it be this or that.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

If she has PN, it could be caused by some sort of lack of good circulation to the nails.marcia

Old 02-11-2005, 07:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

just wanted to update you.....mom went to her neurology appt....they done nerve testing and found that she has nerve damage in both of her arms...as well as the beginning of carpal tunnel. she has to wear splints on both arms, as well as braces on both hands until the end of March...if this does not resolve the pain and weakness that she has been having, she will need surgery. this is what is causing the problems with the nails. so, even though they failed to find what was wrong (when they thought she has peripheal neuropathy in her legs)...turns out she has neuropathy in her arms.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Ladybug,

I was so hoping it would be something simple... Your mom must be so uncomfortable and to have BOTH arms/hands involved is more than simply an "inconvenience"!
Sending good luck her way, and please keep us posted.

zuzu xx

Old 02-11-2005, 07:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

she's a trooper! she's hanging in there so far....but she knows if she doesnt, it will mean automatic surgery. thanks so much for the good luck wish...i will post again as soon as i know more. thanks again!

Closed Thread