It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 07:56 PM   #1

emmabee HB User
Sore cracked tongue

hey. over the last few days my tongue has become very sore. its cracked around the edges and feels burned ontop. there is a slight slight white-ish coat that runs down the middle and then it is very red on the outside, the area that slides up against my teeth, the cracked part. it hurts so bad to eat things and my eyes water. ive looked up "cracked sore burned tongue" on yahoo but nothing comes up specifically relating to it and im mostly confused by the pages it brings up anyway. i was thinking maybe i was defficient in a vitamin or mineral, im not sure if defficiency can cause something like this though. its not from hot food, im positive on that. i have burned my mouth before and this has never happened. does anyone have any insight? sure would be appreciated

Old 02-15-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
(female)

Iadinae HB User
Re: Sore cracked tongue

My daughter had something exactly like what you described. Her ped gave her an antifungal medicine to gargle with for a week. Her tongue started looking better after a few days so after about 5 days she stopped using it because it tasted awful. It came back and she had to go through another weeks worth. SO, if that is what it is and you get meds for it, take it for the prescribed amount of time!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 11:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

I would definately see the doctor on this one. If there has been no change for the better in 4 days of having this, you need a medication of some sort. Many tongue symptoms if left untreated have the ability to turn into cancer, and you don't want that!

Old 02-16-2005, 12:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

It could be caused by many things.

A sore tongue:

Without realizing it, if your top and bottom teeth are out of alignment, this can cause trama to the tongue.

Some people who grind their teeth unconsciously can develop a sore tongue.

Disorders such as diabetes, anaemia, some types of vitamin deficiency can be the problem.

Burning tongue is actually called "glossodynia" and some of the causes are:

Local infections, such as oral thrush (candidiasis)
Damage to the lingual nerve
Damage to nerves of the mouth during dental extractions
Cigarette smoking
Vitamin deficiencies
Certain meds such as diuretics and some blood pressure drugs.

Then there's a condition called "benign migratory glossitis" or "geographic tongue".
You get irregular and inflamed patches on the tongue surface. Often the borders can be white-ish. The tongue can be swollen, red and sore.
Possible causes:

Mineral or vitamin deficiencies
Local irritants, such as strong mouthwashes, cigarettes or alcohol
Certain forms of anaemia
Infection
Certain medications
Stress.

So, as you can see there are many things that a sore or burning tongue can indicate, mostly benign and treatable. If your discomfort continues, see your doctor.

zuzu xx

Old 02-18-2005, 01:13 AM   #5
(male)

Shauny HB User

so smoking can cause a white tounge.

i am half way thro a course of meds for a whote tounge and it hasnt really cleared it up much

Closed Thread