It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 02:07 PM   #1
(male)

profpo31 HB User
Feeling of fullness in the throat

For about three weeks now, there has been a feeling of fullness in my throat that comes and goes. It seems to move from the back of my throat (where you could see if I opened my mouth) to below the adam's apple. When it feels near the back of my throat, it's a slight tingle (could this be caused by post-nasal drip?). When it's near my adam's apple, it feels like a ball of stuff that can't be coughed up. I've heard many opinions on this (my doctor thinks that nothings wrong, and I believe him, but it still is a bother). Any suggestions on what it could be and what I should do to relieve it? Salt water gargling? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-18-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
(female)

gemmy200 HB User
Re: Feeling of fullness in the throat

I have had this same problem for quite awhile starting just this winter. My Dr. says it is seasonal allergy related, and I didn't believe her until I noticed that whenever I have alot of mucus my throat feels kind of funny, it doesn't hurt, it just feels different. It always goes away when the mucus goes away. mine seems to be concentrated on the left side only. It seems odd, but chewing gum seems to help some. Good luck to you! And God bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

I found that gargling with Listerene Cool Mint mouthwash mixed with very warm water was soothing to a swollen sore throat. You might try this and see if it helps. Have you tried Mucinex (over counter now) for thinning mucous? This works great for sinus darinage caused by allergy, virus or bacteria. Taking an anahistamine might help too. I use salt water irrigation for sinuses. This helps keep allergens washed out as well as bacteria.

Old 02-20-2005, 11:05 AM   #4
(female)

Susannah HB User

You might have tonsilloliths (also called tonsil stones). There are a lot of threads about these here. Look at your tonsils and see if they appear dimpled or if there are any holes in them. If there are, you might have tonsil stones. It's basically that particles get lodged in there and they keep growing. It's pretty gross, but a common condition, and basically all you have to do is learn how to dislodge them. I have them sometimes, and the first time I had them, it just felt like something was stuck in my throat constantly. Once I finally got the stones out, the feeling went away.

Closed Thread