It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

Summer_Lovin HB User
Unhappy Dark circles...liver?kidney?no problems?

Hi,

I'm a 17 years old female, and since I can remember I've had dark circles under my eyes. Some days are worse than others, etc.

Now, yesterday my mom told me that they looked really bad and that my skin looked *yellow*. She told me that I look like I have some kind of kidney or liver problem.

Now I'm starting to freak out because I feel fine!And to me my skin does not appear yellow.

Also, I was wondering say if I DID have some kind of jaundice wouldn't the whites of my eyes be yellow as well?Because mine are white as anything. That's why I don't think that I have any type of jaundice.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what can these dark cirlces be caused by?Apparently to her they have become increasingly worse over the past few days/weeks.

I was thinking that maybe they may have increased because recently I bought cover-up for the dark cirlces. I was thinking maybe rubbing my eyes when putting the make up on/off has caused them to increase?

Also, if people could let me know if I had some kind of liver or kidney dysfunction what kind of symptoms I would be having.

Thanks, to anyone that replies.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
(female)

Susannah HB User
Re: Dark circles...liver?kidney?no problems?

Don't worry too much about dark circles if that is the only symptom you have. I've had them my whole life, and I've talked to doctors, and they say it only means my skin is thin there. I've looked online, and the only thing that I can find that it means is that my veins are a little more suscepible to breaking open (makes sense, I also bruise fairly easily). I've found things that say that adding extra vitamin K, vitamin C, and bioflavinoids might help. The vitamin C I take (I'm up to 10 grams/day), doesn't seem to do much for the dark circles (even though it does keep me from getting sick). The vitamin K I started taking after I had my daughter (not supposed to take it while pregnant) seems to help some. I'm going to start with the bioflavinoids soon. The doctors were really useless, just told me to use concealer. If you are rubbing under your eye more, it will make it worse, because it will cause more of those blood vessels to break.

Some of the other symptoms of liver damage are tiredness, loss of appetite, nausea, nail changes. However, early liver damage doesn't usually have many symptoms at all. I really doubt that's what it is, though, at your age.

One of the symptoms of kidney damage early on is also tiredness.

Oh, one more thing. If you really are worried about your liver, there is an herb called milk thistle which is inexpensive, and really good at preventing and healing liver damage. There aren't any side effects from it.

Last edited by Susannah; 02-20-2005 at 10:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2005, 11:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

I've had these all my life too and just wear makeup to cover them. My son has them too, and he is 10. We both have dark hair and naturally yellowish skin (olive) and find that when we are tanned it is not so noticeable. When we are sick or coming down with something they are very noticeable.

If you had jaundice you would KNOW -- the color is outstanding and would be obvious to everyone, including yourself.

Old 02-20-2005, 02:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

I've always had them, too. They run in my family, and are also, in my case, caused by my allergies. Rubbing them does make them, worse, but I wouldn't worry about having anything wrong with you, because some people just have them their entire lives. Just look up online how to expertly conceal them with make-up if they bother you too much
~Katalina

Old 02-21-2005, 04:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

The absolute best way to determine whether or not you actually have any sort of jaundice is to take a mirror outside with you on a clear day and look into the mirror.I guarentee you if you do indeed have any traces of yellow, it will be seen very clearly.When my son was in liver failure, the yellow showed up in his eyes first but was very hard to see indoors even in a well lighted room.But when he had gone outside and I was talking to him and looked into his eyes,wow, what a difference.i doubt that you have any sort of liver disease.espescially if you are not feeling sick.Some people just HAVE dark circles under their eyes for no apparent reason.Marcia

Old 02-23-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
(male)

crowley15 HB User

I've had dark circles under my eyes for about 3 years now. I dont know why. I recently got a blood test for pretty much everything and it came up negative.... Unfortunitly im a guy and i dont want to wear make-up. Any ides on making them go away?

Closed Thread