It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2005, 09:03 AM   #1

cinnycat HB User
White sores in the back of my throat..please help!

I'm not sure what topic this goes in, since I'm not sure what is going on. Sorry if it's in the wrong space.

I am wondering: is it possible to get canker sores in the back of the throat? I've had canker sores before around the gums but never in the back of my throat. There are two white bumps in the back of my throat, and the surrounding area is a little red. One of the white bumps is barely visible, because it is behind one of the ridges in my throat. They are causing my throat to be sore. I've had sore throats before, but it was many years ago. I've never looked in the back of my throat when I've had a sore throat before, so I'm not sure if the white bumps are normal. Honestly, they look like pimples you get on your face right before they pop. The first one showed up 2 or 3 days ago and the second one showed up a day after the first.

Please let me know if you have any knowledge on this, or if I've left anything out on my description. thanks

Old 02-28-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
Re: White sores in the back of my throat..please help!

it IS possible to get canker sores on your throat. my daughter developed white looking blisters...I didnt really think it was strep...as it looked so much like canker sores...but didnt know that you could get them there...so I took her to the dr thinking that she had strep. It came back negative..and the dr told me beforehand that it would...cause she knew already that it was canker sores.....if you have alot of sinus drainage...it will cause them. My daughter has had them 3 times since that visit. I always took her in to make sure it wasnt strep--to be on the safe side. If your blisters very much so resembles a canker sore...thats most likely what it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2005, 08:48 AM   #3

cinnycat HB User

thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I do have a lot of sinus problems. I just never knew that you could get canker sores on the back of the throat. I've never really looked at a canker sore that I've had in the past, since it's been a WHILE since I've had one. I'm just hoping that is what it is. Do you know the average life span of a canker sore? thanks again

Old 03-01-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

you are welcome. not sure---guessing???? 3-4 days.

Old 03-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #5
(female)

Pat_S HB User

I get that whenever I have a viral sore throat...either from the virus or from the sinus drainage (I have year 'round allergies, too). It usually gets better on its own, but don't hesitate to go to the doctor for a throat culture if it doesn't. You don't want to take a chance on having an untreated strep infection. Good luck!

Old 03-01-2005, 02:38 PM   #6

cinnycat HB User

thanks for your help, ladybug + Pat S I really really appreciate it. I think they are canker sores from sinus problems. I'll give it a few days, and if it doesn't get any better I'll go to the doctor. thanks again!

Old 03-03-2005, 08:56 AM   #7
(female)

cfmommy HB User

Tonsil stones. If you push on them, they'll probably come out and smell really gross.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:12 AM   #8

cinnycat HB User

oh jeeze... not another possibility... I really don't know what it is now.

Old 03-07-2005, 09:11 AM   #9
(female)

Susannah HB User

I was going to say tonsil stones, too. If they are tonsil stones, you'll want to go ahead and try to get them out. They take a long time to come out on their own, usually, and as long as they are back there they will continue to irritate your throat. My husband and I used to get tonsil stones a lot. Then, we started using toothpaste that has tea tree oil in it and it really seemed to make the problem go away. I'm not sure they know exactly what causes tonsil stones (the only real solution doctors seem to have for it is just to take your tonsils out), but I've read a lot of things supporting that it's just some sort of mild infection that makes them develop. Tea tree oil is really good at treating mild infections (it's real good for acne, too), so I think that's why the toothpaste worked for us.

Old 03-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #10

cinnycat HB User

I think it was just a canker sore, since it is gone now. All healed. thanks for everyone who helped me out. This was really the only place I could ask for help, other than going to a doctor. All of your posts helped me worry a little bit less! I appreciate it.

Old 03-14-2005, 11:43 AM   #11

cinnycat HB User

uh oh. I guess everything isn't all right. Okay, here is the story in full:
Before I ever posted on healthboards, suddenly something was bothering me in the back of my throat. My tongue was registering something foreign. On my tonsil, but behind one of the ridges of my mouth, so that I couldn't see it. My tongue was sick of feeling it, so I was poking around back there with the bristles of a toothbrush. Then the next day, I had a sore that I COULD see around the area that I had my toothbrush, which I assume was a cankersore that resulted from me irritating the area with my tooth brush. That is why I originally posted on heathboards. And when I said 'white soreS' originally, I thought both of the sores were the same, since I couldn't see one of them. Then the visible canker sore healed. A few days later, the tonsil 'foreign substance' reappeared suddenly. Literally, I was sitting there and it was fine and then my mouth was registering a foreign substance within seconds. I don't know if it healed and then reappeared or if I just wasn't feeling it. But it's gotten slightly bigger, and now I can see it from behind the ridge. I'm guessing THIS one is a tonsil stone. I don't know how to get it off the back of my throat though, since obviously just poking around in my mouth with the toothbrush bristles will just create even MORE painful CANKER sores. I don't feel like going to the doctor, because they will probably just tell me to get a tonsillectomy. Is there any possible way this can still be strep throat? The only symptom I have is this yellowish white bump on my tonsil.

And Susannah, looks like I'll be taking a trip to the store to get some tea tree oil toothpaste. thanks so so much for the tip. I really appreciate it.

Closed Thread