It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2005, 04:44 PM   #1
(female)

Debbie Doo HB User
Rib Pain from coughing?

Hi All:
I am recovering from what I am calling "Coldzilla". You know, that nasty cold/flu that turned into bronchitus and a sinus infection and ear infections in some. I finally beat the sinus infection, but the cough is still here. I have spend way to many nights coughing. I am realy sensitve to meds so I have been trying to fight this naturally. (rest, fluids, vitamins and for the sinus infecton: steam, salt water washes and hot wash cloths) My cough is productive and finally without color. But.... yesterday I noticed that when I coughed my left side hurt. If you where to put your left hand on your waist with your thumb facing up, the thumb would be where the pain is. Today is is more intense. When I cough, or sniff or strain like for a b/m or to pass gas, it hurts with a burning pain. It is not excrusating (sp?) but painful enough to get my attention. When I breathe deeply, it does not hurt. I am not trying to stop the cough because I do not want another lung infection. Better out than in, I say. At first I thought it was just a muscle strain, but today when I was laying down, I touched my lowest left rib, in the center of my chest and it hurt on my side. Not where I touched.

So what I am wondering is this: Does this sound like I have pulled my rib from the coughing? I was scared it was pluerisy, but I realy think it is from the cough. I have read some online and it said that it will go away when the cough goes away and to not try to restrict or wrap the ribs as it may keep you from breathing deeply enough. Anyone else ever have this? Any ideas for self help? I realy appreceate any and all help.
God bless you and yours
Debbiedoo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
(female)

srtchick HB User
Re: Rib Pain from coughing?

that sounds like you def pulled something from coughing so hard.... my father had the same thing happen. it was so painful he thought he broke one but it turned out he just pulled it from coughing so violently.

Old 03-06-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
Inactive

kerry1 HB User
Re: Rib Pain from coughing?

I'm guessing you pulled or bruised a rib. Constant coughing is pretty rough on the surrounding area. You may want to try cough syrup at night just to give your lungs a rest, since the stuff coming up is clear now and you seem to be getting well.

Closed Thread