It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

gnote HB User
Unhappy Much pain after ACL reconstruction surgery

I just had my left knee acl reconstructed yesterday. I am taking vicodin (.5/750), which I think is on the higher end for strength. The doctor indicated to take 1 to 2 tablets every 4 hours as needed. My pharmacyst told me not to take more than 6 per day. Based on the 6/day maximum, I have to stick to 1 tablet at a time.

I was in severe pain this morning. I don't think I would have gotten through it if I hadn't taken a second pill an hour later. Even as the day has gone on and I finally got up off the couch to use the restroom, I was still in a lot of pain. I was barely able to lift my leg up and off the couch and I could barely put my foot on the ground. As it is, I only urinated once last night after the surgery and only one time today. I'm sure this isn't good, but I'm thankful to not have to get up too much. I am dreading the exercise my doctor told me to do the day after, which is sit on a rolling chair with my leg straightened out and pull myself toward the leg to bend it.

Can anyone give me advice on dealing with the pain or what to expect based on your surgery? I would really appreciate it!

Old 03-15-2005, 07:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Much pain after ACL reconstruction surgery

You should call your doctor. Sometimes different pain medications are more effective for some people. After my surgery they were giving me morphine, and pumping me full of it, and I was still in a lot of pain. They finally tried demerol and immediately I felt much better. Of course, in the first week or two you are still going to be in pain, but the medication should provide some relief. Your doctor may be able to try a different medication that may work better for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
(female)

rebel_forever33 HB User

hello, Im 33 had acl reconstruction in april they used a donar ligament in mine. It does get better but I still cant climb or kneel but i can walk without it comming out from onder nith me. Know im going in next thursday for back surgery i wonder whats going to be worse, I hope you are doiing better by now.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:00 PM   #4
(female)

gnote HB User

Thanks for the input. I am starting to get use to the pain, but today I developed a fever of 100 degrees. My info from the doctor says that I should call if it is 101 or more. I hope this is normal. I can't remember from my previous surgeries.

I am a bit concerned that you still can't climb after 11 months. I was hoping to get back into jogging in 3 months and start hiking again. Unless you mean rock climbing. I don't do that and I can see how that would be a bit more hard on the knees.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
(female)

gnote HB User

Thanks for the input. I am starting to get use to the pain, but today I developed a fever of 100 degrees. My info from the doctor says that I should call if it is 101 or more. I hope this is normal. I can't remember from my previous surgeries.

I am a bit concerned that you still can't climb after 11 months. I was hoping to get back into jogging in 3 months and start hiking again. Unless you mean rock climbing. I don't do that and I can see how that would be a bit more hard on the knees.

Good luck w/ your back. That sounds a lot more serious!

Closed Thread