It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 08:02 PM   #1

annarayne HB User
tired after eating meat

every single time i eat meat, following i get very tired.. exhausted... and i've come to notice this pattern. is it normal?

Old 03-30-2005, 03:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User
Re: tired after eating meat

Your body may have a hard time digesting it. If your body is focusing on digesting is zaps energy from other parts. How long has this been going on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 04:37 AM   #3
(female)

Charlatan HB User

Also, turkey may make you even sleepier, if you eat much of it, because it contains a natural sedative, called tryptophan. I think you have to eat it on it's own, though, for it to have that effect.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:11 AM   #4

annarayne HB User

its been happening since about september. when i eat meat, i don't usually eat anything else with it.. so i'm not sure if that's where i'm going wrong.. or if it's what you say sunlover. i'm just about ready to give up on it lol. i know i need meat but not if it only causes me to be so tired.
i'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. i only have meat about once a week, sometimes more.. but i try to have it at least once a week.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Anna,

Just on an off chance that this is not related to meat, but to food intake in general, have you had your blood sugar checked lately? Do you notice this same tired feeling if your intake consists of a bunch of desserts or other carbs?

Old 03-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #6

annarayne HB User

i'm not sure. because i normally don't eat that much sugary stuff. my diet is mostly fruits and vegetables.. and rice type things. i know that if i eat too much it causes me to be a bit sleepy... i had my blood sugar levels checked about a 8 months ago when i got very sick. all the tests came back normal. i've had it checked several times before then as well because i have this condition where i just fall.. i don't go unconscious though. those tests were also normal.
although, lately i've been eating a whole lot of sweets and drinking more coffee then usual just to try and keep up with life.. i can't really stay awake much anymore.
i read that meat has amino acids in it that can make you a bit tired..... i'm not sure if that was bull or if i misread or if it's in fact true... just don't know if it could cause tiredness to this extent?
i've somewhat decided to just kick the meat and eat it only when i absolutely have no choice.
to top that off, i have insomnia it really gets screwy... i have insomnia yet can't sleep enough when i do sleep :\ i'm ALWAYS wanting to sleep

Old 03-30-2005, 09:04 PM   #7

annarayne HB User

i was trying to find out info about this online, and what i came up with was to eat meat if you feel tired... that's a little backwards in my situation? if meat is taking away energy, when it should be giving it.... then huh?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
(female)

numbcy HB User

Well, all I can say is that I've been vegan for 4 years (no dairy or meat) . . . and I'm still alive. lol. But . . . I've also been very, very ill just this last 8 months . . . soooo . . . don't think it has anything to do with the non-meat-eating part of my life. The doctors have been unable to diagnose me, as of yet.

But, in answer to your question about meat making you tired. I do know (from many different sources) that meat is the most difficult thing for the body to digest. If you eat a lot of meat and don't have a "tip top" shape digestive system, your body will have to focus ALL energy into digesting that meat, which, in turn, will make you tired (but not necessarily sleepy). Like the way you feel after a cardio-workout? Very worn out and "blah". Don't want to do anything but sit on the couch kind of "tired".

You may also be interested in looking up "meat in the colon after autopsies"? It seems to be found that a person, at the age of 65?, has 8 pounds! of undigested meat sitting in their intestines.

Of course, I can't state any of this as a sure FACT. But, it's what I've come to know through about 4 years of research.

Last edited by numbcy; 08-30-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Closed Thread