It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
(female)

mucocele HB User
Lightbulb Lump on lower inside lip?

This is to help out anyone who may be afraid they have cancer or something equally as horrifying in their mouth. I noticed I had a small pea sized lump inside of my lower right lip about a month ago. Instantly, thoughts of cancer and sexually transmitted diseases shot through my head sending me into an absolute hypochondriadic panic. I eventually went to a doctor, who drained the lump (a clear, thick, mucously and salivary fluid came out of it) and sent it off to be cultured. I then was told it was seeminly normal and was not caused by infection or anything else. I dismissed it as being insignificant until it returned within a week, and larger. After it became a nuisance to my speech, I drained it myself in a sanitary manner, and did this two to three times a week. Just this past week I finally figured out what it was due to the clinical rotations I do at a children's hospital. I was so relieved to know that is merely caused by some sort of trauma (though not always) to the salivary glands in my lip. The lump is caused by the mucin draining into the connective tissues in the lip, and it is not technically a cyst because it lacks epithelial lining. Mucoceles are typically painless (to my knowledge) and don't contain blood or colored pus (this may be indicative of something that requires more suspicion). It is a simple surgical procedure to remove it (I'm having mine taken out at the same time as my wisdom teeth) and they also remove surrounding minor salivary glands to eliminate chance of reoccurance. They recommend sending it off for a histopathology exam to rule out any chances of it possibly being a malignant tumor (there are some rare instances of this).
So...hopefully this provides some sort of reassurance for those who are fretting about their lip mutating.
-Cristina-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2005, 01:09 PM   #2
(male)

Nooble HB User
Re: Lump on lower inside lip?

I have a lump inside my lower right lip too. It's because I bit my lip inside there for fun, then this big lump grew. It's been here for a couple years now and won't go away.

Old 05-30-2005, 11:02 AM   #3

susan5 HB User
Re: Lump on lower inside lip?

i have had a lump on my lower lip which swells up about twice a week, fills up with liquid and goes flat in a day after the liquid has drained. It is currently about 5mm in diameter. The dentist said it was a blocked saliva gland and I shouldn't worry and they just come and go. He said I could get the gland removed at the hospital but it would not really help.

Has anyone had anything similar and how long has it lasted? How have you managed it? Do you know what triggers and how I can prevent it from blowing up like a blister. I get very anxious, this has been going on for about four months. I have tried giving up sugar, alcohol, peanuts, keep a regular meal times. i find I am very full mucus in the morning and always have very stale breath. I have been drinking a lot of water and try and do excercise. I would really welcome some advice on what else i should do and whether there is anyone suffering similar symptoms.

Closed Thread