It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 11:25 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

nokoBot HB User
PAINFUL EAR after LOUD sound!!!!!!@@@

Hi all

last week i played the keyboard using the drum sound and i played it at a high volume. the result was that after hitting some notes, there was one where OUCH it was kind of a sharp drum or cymbal sound, that it hurt my ear. Now after a week i still get kind of sharp painat random times in my ear. it's not SUUUUPER hard, but it's painful enough. i hear fine, i didn't lose hearing, it's just the pain and kind of a sensation of pressure.

what to do? anyone had this , anyone here a musician or something, or was hurt from loud sounds??? any help appreciated, thanks

bye

Old 04-08-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: PAINFUL EAR after LOUD sound!!!!!!@@@

You may have ruptured your eardrum. A very loud noise can quite easily tear or perforate the tympanic membrane. As bad as it sounds, it usually heals all by itself in 2 months without treatment.

I would not take any chances though...See an ENT doc.

I'm guessing you are a musician and certainly do want to fool around with any injury that could possibly compromise your hearing.

If you do have a rupture but it's small, chances are the doctor won't do anything except reassure you that it will heal.
HOWEVER, he may give you antibiotics to prevent infection as it heals.

In the meantime:
DEFINITELY keep water out of that ear and avoid blowing your nose which can cause pressure changes and slow down healing.

P.S. Just want to stress that you really should see an ear/nose/throat physician in case it's something more serious or if infection has already set in!

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 04-08-2005 at 11:55 AM. Reason: ADDED P.S.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
(male)

dale2004 HB User
Re: PAINFUL EAR after LOUD sound!!!!!!@@@

I don't think it sounds like you have ruptured your eardrum but it certainly sounds like you might have hyperacusis. I too was a musician but the pain in my ears got so bad that I had to quit playing a few years ago. Symptoms of hyperacusis are the sensitivity to loud noise which is what you describe and a deep burning earache in either one or both ears. Left untreated, your threshold to volume tolerance will decrease and even everyday sounds start to become problematic. At one time I couldn't even leave the house because the sound of traffic was causing me severe pain in my ears but it all started with similar things to what you are describing.

The only successful treatment that I know of is tinnitus retraining therapy also known as TRT. Do a search online to see what you can find. There isn't a lot of information about it around but if you can find the right people it can be treated before it becomes a real problem for you.

I hope this helps.

Closed Thread