It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2005, 05:23 PM   #1

annarayne HB User
growing pains at 19?

since i was young i'd get these pains in my legs and they were so horrible i could hardly walk. my parents told me they were growing pains (which definately made sense at the time). i still get these pains. they shoot up and down my legs, and hurt real bad around the knees... but sometimes it'll hurt more just between the knee and ankle, not sure what that's called. i'm 19, i haven't grown a single inch in over 4 years, so is it even possible it be growing pains still? sometimes i just don't even feel like doing anything because it hurts too much..

Old 04-09-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

veggigoddess HB User
Re: growing pains at 19?

And you have never seen a doctor about this??????
I cannot imagine this is "normal" growing pains or not. I have never heard of anything like this so I do not know anything for certain, but one cannot just assume it's "growing pains" and wait & see, you must see a doctor to make sure nothing really serious is going on cause if you wait too long and it is serious you maybe risking your health if you have not already by neglecting to get this looked at.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Do you by chance run or jog? If so, you may have shin splints. Best to see doctor for proper diagnosis.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:37 PM   #4

annarayne HB User

no running, my throat tends to close in on me when i do. heh i'll think about seeing a doc when i go back home. i just wondered if i could possibly still be having growth spurts or what you wanna call em. guess not?

Old 04-09-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I have the same thing and I'm 47..........Had them since I was young. If I am on my feet for long periods my legs ache. I think it's circulation...I have had ultra sound to make sure there are no blood clots...you just have to prop them up when they hurt

Old 04-16-2005, 01:06 AM   #6

annarayne HB User

i do have reynolds syndrom and been told i have very tiny veins, to the point that sometimes when taking blood i have to use pediatric needles (and i really don't like needles to begin with.. sitting there twice as long is NOT fun!). could this be why?

Old 04-17-2005, 08:03 AM   #7
(female)

bsktballin33 HB User

I'm 19 and I have the same exact problem with my legs too, and yeah it sucks! A doctor once mentioned fibromyalgia to me a long time ago, but it never went any further than that, and I don't really know too much about it. I haven't gone to a doctor about it either since then. But I do know how much it sucks, so I feel your pain. Do your legs ever hurt more when the weather is cold and damp? I have some perscription pain meds that I take sometimes and it helps a little, otherwise I slather on the biofreeze/icy hot, and just lay down with my legs up. Sometimes an ice bath helps for a while too, but those suck.

Old 04-18-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
(female)

Madonna HB User

My legs have ached all my life, I am 44. Here is what I do:

I will wrap one or both legs, whichever is hurting, in a blanket then prop my leg(s) up on a pillow. Then I lay with my leg(s) completely still until the pain stops, usually about an hour. It is very hard to keep your legs completely still for an hour, but I do it and it helps so much. At first they will start aching like crazy and you want to move them so bad, but dont, it will settle down and then you can keep them still. An electric blanket helps too because the warmth is soothing.

Oh, and here are some of the things that trigger my legs to ache:

Not sleeping well
Being nevous
Being sick (flu etc.)
Too much exercise
Sitting in a cramped position like a concert, movie theater etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Madonna; 04-18-2005 at 12:31 PM.

Old 04-20-2005, 01:54 AM   #9

annarayne HB User

madonna, unfortunately my lifestyle doesn't permit to sit around for that long :\ i kind of just take the pain and keep going.
it does get worse with the weather. as do my arms/hands which is the reynolds i'm pretty sure. as well, different air pressure, ie, flying... really does a number on me. cold water really hurts.... as well sometimes when it's too warm, not hot.. but stuffy. a neutral temperature usually is just perfect so when it's mid-summer/winter... i'm aching a lot.

Closed Thread