It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

Martharuth12 HB User
Open Leg Wound

I would like to know if anyone has had a similar or same problem and what was done. I have a scar on my right leg from a metal plate(wtih 7 screws) that was needed hold bones together in 1997. In Feb 2005 that scar started to open up and has continued to open up. No one knows why. I was told all blood work is good, I am not diabetic and there is no infection. I am very puzzled as are all the professionals I have seen. Martharuth12

Old 04-18-2005, 06:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User
Re: Open Leg Wound

Hi! You have an open wound on your leg and someone has told you that this is OK?
I have a couple of questions: describe the wound? How long and how wide? Is it draining (does it have a greenish or yellowish drainage) coming from it? Is it, coincidentally, along the suture line of your surgery? Is it painful? Have you ever had anything like this before? When did you last see you physician? Certainly, having an open wound on your leg is alarming and really should be evaluated.
There is an ailment called "necrotizing fasciitis" which you may or may not have. I guess if it's been this bad since Feb. you're probably OK. But I would certainly have another doctor look into it. Anyone else? cflas

Last edited by last1; 04-18-2005 at 06:54 PM. Reason: grammar

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 08:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Could it be caused by the hardware? I know that some people get pain from the hardware, and that sometimes the screws can work loose or dig into the skin from the inside out. Just a thought...

Old 04-19-2005, 03:00 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

yes, it could be caused by the hardware. There are some cases in which hardware will begin to push out through the leg. However, the cause is a little less important than the fact that you have this wound on your leg which could essentially become a source of an infection. chris

Old 04-19-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
(female)

Martharuth12 HB User

I asked if the body is rejecting the metal plate screwed into the bone with 7 screws and they said it was possible but they are treating the open wound as if I were a diabetic putting a creme into the wound to keep it moist and keeping it wrapped. Martharuth12

Last edited by Martharuth12; 04-19-2005 at 12:40 PM.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
(female)

Martharuth12 HB User

The wound is opening up along the suture line of the surgery which is about 11 cm long, and the wound is now about 4 cm long and 1.5 cm wide at the widest point. Sometimes there is clear yellowish fluid draining from it , sometime a tiny bit of blood,and it is painful. I am seeing a doctor weekly but they/he are perplexed. I can walk and do most anything- - I walk 2 three miles a week, no pain when walking.

Last edited by Martharuth12; 04-19-2005 at 12:51 PM.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:51 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

I hate to keep asking these questions because I would imagine it's pretty annoying. DId you go your regular primary care doctor or to the orthopedist that did the original surgery? While you body probably is not "rejecting" the pins (that should have happened a long time ago), the pins may be loose and working themselves out. Do you think the wound started on the inside and is granulating out? chris

Old 04-19-2005, 05:10 PM   #8
(female)

Martharuth12 HB User

I went to the Orthapedist, who sent me to the Disease Doc and I went to my naturopathic doctor.All say they do not know what casued this and their objective is to get it healed but it keeps getting larger, a milimeter at a time.

Last edited by Martharuth12; 04-19-2005 at 05:11 PM.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:13 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

I am perplexed and really concerned. Are you happy with your doctors? A wound that is healing should, in fact, be healing not getting worse. Have you been to the ER? Have they cultured the wound? Especially for staph infections? I know that you're worried about this, and I would be, too? Are you near a university medical center or trauma center? Look you have a wound along an old suture line (this may be cooincidental) and the worse is getting worse and becoming more painful. This just doesn't add up. chris

Last edited by last1; 04-19-2005 at 07:15 PM. Reason: punctuation

Old 04-20-2005, 03:34 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I totally agree with cflas,seek out any university medical center.Teaching hosps love this kind of thing.i really do think that your body is possibly rejecting the hardware.I have always wondered if this was possible.i have a metal plate and screws inside my C spine area.My son had a liver transplant almost five years ago and has to take many different meds just to be able to fool the body into thinking the new liver is actually supposed to be there. If he is extremely late or would forget completely to take his anti rejection meds, he might possibly permanently lose that liver.what you have explained is the same type of body response to say having a splinter somewhere for quite some time?Have you ever had a splinter lodged into the skin but really didn't realize it until you noticed a rather raised area of skin that eventually broke and oozed out some sort of a puss type fluid?this is your bodys way of eventually expelling something that should not be there,do you understand what I am trying to say?God, I hope so as I sometimes will totally confuse myself here,lol.just as a sort of an experimental type thing, ask your doc to Rx you like a week or two of prednisone?My son takes this as one of his main anti rejection meds.it is also routinely used for many many types of inflammitory conditions.If things appear to improve while on it, i would be thinkin that you are indeed suffering some at least 'some' level of possible rejection.
i also have a friend whos daughter turned out to have a rather nasty case of rejecting those metal tubes that the docs implant in childrens ears when they suffer alot of infections?she,like you had alot of yellow pus type crap that was almost constantly draining from one of her ears.She was completely fine once those metal tubes were removed and replaced with some sort of plastic type.

I do hope that things clear up for you.please see an infectious disease doc/team,at the closest university teaching hosp.I really do feel that this is your best bet at this point.and do try the prednisone thing.keep us posted,K?good luck.

Old 04-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #11
(female)

Martharuth12 HB User

Just got home from the wound care center where they put a Unna Boot on the ankle and leg. This doctor said he has had success with it. I will see- -it is on for one week. I sent out the wrong measurement on the wound.....SORRY. The correct ones are: today 18 mm long and 4 mm wide. Last week 17 mm long and 6 mm wide and the week before 16 mm long and 5 mm wide. Marthruth12

Last edited by Martharuth12; 04-20-2005 at 03:14 PM.

Old 04-20-2005, 06:13 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

OK. Has any told you what the heck is going on? Have they given you a diagnosis? I think you said they X-rayed the wound but have the x-rayed it progresssively to see if the pins and hardware are working their ways out? Do you live in US? I think Ihave some idea about the Unna Boot, probably something that gives you continuous pressure relief. Hopefully this will do the trick? However, what's up if it increases in size next time you see the doctor? I'm guessing the wound is clean, right? No odors, pussey drainage, etc? Keep us informed. chris

Old 04-20-2005, 07:05 PM   #13
(female)

Martharuth12 HB User

I am not getting any answers to my questions which are like your questions. It is a wait and see situation. There are no oders and "normal" drainage. I live in the USA. The result of a venus doppler was normal except for some vericose veins.

Last edited by Martharuth12; 04-20-2005 at 07:06 PM.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:43 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I still really strongly feel that there is indeed some sort of a rejection episode going on at least on some level.I would discuss this much more in depth with your docs.Trying a round of prednisone really could help with this.i think it really would be worth a shot anyway.If there is any improvement while you are on the pred, this really would indicate the rejection possibility.just a thought. please continue to keep us posted.i really am quite curious as to the source of your problem.marcia

Old 04-22-2005, 12:38 PM   #15
(female)

Martharuth12 HB User

Thanks, but for now I am in a Unna boot and they want me in it for two weeks to see if there is an improvement in the wound. I am though not crazy about drugs. I am from Europe and raised on homeopathic drugs- -I use them only when other options have been tried.

Last edited by Martharuth12; 04-22-2005 at 12:38 PM.

Closed Thread