It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

Ripanco HB User
Question how to deal with period during surgery?

I am wondering how others have dealt with having a period both during and following major surgery. I am having bilateral total hip replacment in one month and have not seen this addressed in any of the info I have found so far. Have spoken to gyno about stopping my period, but it is not easy, nor always succesful and can have some nasty side effects. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 09:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: how to deal with period during surgery?

Is it possible to reschedule hip surgery? If so, that would be the way to go. If not, just do the best you can, things will work out. Sometimes stress will stop periods for a short time.

If you are on birthcontrol, seems like that could be adjusted, however, I am not a medical person and may be way off base on this one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

If you are on birth control pills you can delay your period. I delay mine and have 4 periods a year. Everyone is different, but I don't have any side effects at all. If your body isn't use to delay or skipping your period, there is a chance it may not work. But then again, you might be able to delay your period a week, just continue to take your pills.

Old 04-20-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I would just not worry about it. When they send you to change, ask them if you can leave the underwear (and protection) on until later (most likely they will say yes). Then, they will make you give it up either right before you go into the OR or after you get there. Then you go to sleep and it's their problem! And after the surgery it sounds like you will be in the hospital for a few days, so it's the nurses problem! They have stuff there to deal with it (although if you are particular about brand preferences, you could take your own supplies), and they will even help you with hygiene if you need it. They have seen that stuff before (a large proportion of nurses are females, too, so they certainly know all about it) and it's their job to take care of it.

If it is something that you really don't want to do, though, you could ask your surgeon if there is a possibility of rescheduling. And if it isn't supposed to start until the day of or the day after surgery, it is possible that it won't happen anyway. When I had my wisdom teeth out I was supposed to start the next day and it never happened. When the body is under physical stress like that it aborts the more unnecessary tasks.

Good luck with your surgery!

Old 04-21-2005, 05:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

For some stupid reason, two out of three of my recent surgeries also involved me getting my period.Just the luck of the draw I guess.this should not be any problem for you,really.i just told the nurse when she took me back to change clothes and instead of me wearing my own underwear with a pad(they will not let you wear a tampon by the way, not sure why)she gave me these mesh type underwear to wear(very attractive, my husband said they were totally makin him hot don't ya know)anyway, she told me that they will most likely have to place a cath during your surgery and the mesh undies gives them much easier access.after the surgery, you have those wonderful nurses to come in and take care of this for you.When you think about it, it is probably a good thing that you are having your period in the hosp where you really wont have to deal with it,vs trying to deal with it at home when you are already trying to just get through your days dealing with the the post op crap.i wouldn't really worry about this at all ya know?Concentrate on the more important stuff and good luck with the surgery.hope all goes well for you.FB

Old 04-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #6
(female)

Ripanco HB User

Wow, finally some real information! Thank you all! I am not on birthcontrol because of large fibroids. I am not able to add much estrogen to my system which is why my gyno was not optomistic about using hormones to supress my period.
It is wonderful hearing from those of you that have been through this. Not exactly what I wanted to hear though!! UGH. I have some big hangups about having anyone else deal with stuff like this. I even dread the thought of having a catheter put in. Even if I am not awake. Guess it is something I am going to have to learn to deal with thought since rescheduling would be really hard.
It will make it easier to know ahead of time what may be happening though. feelbad...you were able to wear the mesh panties during surgery?(btw, thanks for the little chuckle about how hot your hubby got!!) I can't imagine they will allow me to wear anything since both hips are being done. I hadn't even thought that I couldn't wear tampons. Funny, I am so looking forward to getting my new hips except for this stupid aspect! It just seems so awful for anyone else to have to deal with my period!
Thanks for all the well wishes too. You are a great bunch.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:58 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripanco
Wow, finally some real information! Thank you all! I am not on birthcontrol because of large fibroids. I am not able to add much estrogen to my system which is why my gyno was not optomistic about using hormones to supress my period.
It is wonderful hearing from those of you that have been through this. Not exactly what I wanted to hear though!! UGH. I have some big hangups about having anyone else deal with stuff like this. I even dread the thought of having a catheter put in. Even if I am not awake. Guess it is something I am going to have to learn to deal with thought since rescheduling would be really hard.
It will make it easier to know ahead of time what may be happening though. feelbad...you were able to wear the mesh panties during surgery?(btw, thanks for the little chuckle about how hot your hubby got!!) I can't imagine they will allow me to wear anything since both hips are being done. I hadn't even thought that I couldn't wear tampons. Funny, I am so looking forward to getting my new hips except for this stupid aspect! It just seems so awful for anyone else to have to deal with my period!
Thanks for all the well wishes too. You are a great bunch.
Good luck with your surgery. I had suggested to continue your bc pills, but since you aren't on them that's a different story. As someone else mentioned, it's their mess to deal with, but would probably make you feel very uncomfortable. Not sure about you, but I wasn't allowed to wear any panties at any of my surgeries. Not even socks! And I had to remove all fingernail and toenail polish, so I'm sure a tampon isn't allowed. I was told I had a cathater at every surgery, but they must have put it in and pulled it out while I was under. I was prepared....I got a bikini wax before going! Hope everything is successful. You'll have to update us on your progress. Both hips at the same time! You are brave!!

Old 04-22-2005, 11:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User

I had a total hip replacement and a period at the exact same time. And my period wasn't due for 2 weeks, but I guess the stress just made it happen. I sympathize, but believe me, you won't care. You'll be on some very nice drugs which will make you not care at all and you'll feel all warm and fuzzy. The nurses are awesome and they totally understand. And don't worry about the catheter..........it's no biggie. Rather convenient, actually. Good luck and try to relax. You're going to feel SO much better with your new hips!

Old 04-23-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
(female)

Ripanco HB User

Hi Soibhan,

Lucky you! I figure that will be my luck too. I finally called my dr's nurse to ask them what I will have to do. You won't believe what they told me!!! She said to go out and buy one of those belts to hold pads, you know the ones women had to wear like years and years ago? I did go look, but didn't find one anywhere. I doubt they make them still. Let alone those pads with the long ends. I can't imagine how that would work anyhow. Seems like it could get in the way of both the surgery and the catheter. So what did you have to do?? How did they have you deal with your period? I guess I am going to have to get over my hangups, but man I hate the idea!
I really am looking forward to getting my new hips and getting back to my life!! Thanks for the well wishes.
frustrated35.... I love the idea of the bikini wax!!

Old 04-23-2005, 04:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

Do not take any medication to stop or alter your normal cycle. This is not the time to make any changes. It is major surgery. Schedule your surgery around your period. When you undergo a bilateral hip replacement, they are going to insert a catheter and with a surgery this major, you will not be allowed to wear underwear (as one poster suggested).

Old 04-23-2005, 10:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User

I'm trying so hard to remember exactly how things worked with my period after the surgery. I didn't have an in-dwelling catheter. They just straight-cathed me several times until I could go on my own again. And I'm with you--I don't believe they make the belts or the pads with the long "tails" in the front and back. I don't believe you'd be able to wear underwear with an in-dwelling catheter. They allowed me to wear underwear and pads as soon as I was able to urinate on my own, which was about 24 hrs. And try as I might, I can't remember what I did for that 24 hours! I guess those drugs were even better than I thought! LOL You might call the nurse on the floor you'll be staying on in the hospital and ask what they suggest. They are usually very helpful. Good luck! And you will feel so much better when you've healed from your surgery. Physical therapy will be rough at first, but do your exercises and don't break your restrictions and you'll be fine!

Closed Thread