It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2005, 12:23 AM   #1
(male)

TradeDayDan HB User
Twitching Nerves, not just normal twitching here

I have lived with this problem for almost my entire life. It started out with my eyelids twitching. I know thats not that big of a deal. I understand that everybody probably has had that to happen. I first remember my eyelids twitching when I was around 7 years old. Things began to progress around age 12. The twitching started happening in other parts of my body. It was really noticeable on my leg, just above my knee. This happened on both legs. It then started happening in my arms, feet, fingers, and just about every part of my body. My mother is a nurse and she says its normal for people to have twitching nerves. I tried to explain to her how frequent and how much of my body I was experiencing this in. She doesn't seem to concerned saying that if it has been happening for that many years, it's probably not going to kill me. I'm 32 years old now. The nerve twitching seems to be getting more frequent. It used to just start in a place and go for a few seconds, then stop. I have had a place on my left leg, just under the back side under my knee and around to the calf of my leg that has been twitching for 4 days straight now. This has happened before, just in different spots. It can last anywhere from a day up to a week. I don't seem to be suffering physically from this. It's just really annoying to feel your leg jumping almost constantly. I'm not sure if I'm getting my point across here. I am serious when I say that every part of my body at 1 time or another has had twitching. My head, just above my ears on both sides. The top of my head, middle of my back, my stomach, lips, nose, face, Eyebrows, and even my butt cheeks have had nerve twitching. I have to ask if anyone else has this problem. If not, is there any medical professional on here that can tell me if this is some sort of disease and if there is a way to cure it. I've become really self conscious for some reason. I really am afraid for people to see the nerves twitching. Can anyone clue me in about this. Am I the only person that has this problem that has become this severe?

The following user gives a hug of support to TradeDayDan:
Jerusha1467 (12-19-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to TradeDayDan For This Useful Post:
Jerusha1467 (12-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2005, 04:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Twitching Nerves, not just normal twitching here

TradeDayDan,

Your mother's medical knowledge and instinct is right in that given this has virtually been a lifelong thing, it is not life threatening, nor is it the symptom of serious organic disease.

Another word for twitching is "fasciculation".... There's something called benign fasiculation syndrome and you are NOT alone. Quite a number of people on these boards have discussed this and it sounds very much like what you may be dealing with.

Try the search function at the top of the main page of this forum. If you type in the words, it'll direct you to all the posts and/or forums where people have posted about this.

Good luck!

zuzu xx

P.S. You'll find postings on many forums and before you scare yourself silly...and I want to tell you now that you do not have MS or ALS or any serious disease!!!! The operative word here is "benign".

Last edited by zuzu8; 05-07-2005 at 04:57 AM.

Old 05-07-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
(male)

TradeDayDan HB User

Wow! Thanks a lot. I'm glad to know I'm not slowly dying of a serious disease here. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I thought I was going crazy. Sometimes the twitching just about does drive me crazy. I would like to hear from others with the same problem though. Something like a twitchy limb update. My leg finally stopped by the way. Lasted 5 days. Just the normal here and there moving around twitching now. It started in my face on my cheek teh day before my leg stopped, but that wasn't a several day thing. Thanks a lot for your help.

Old 05-07-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
(female)

desertflower HB User

Trade,

I have the same thing, drives me nuts. I have twitching all over too, especially on the top part of my feet. I have had it for years. I did ask my mom's Neurologist about it and he said it is harmless and it is just your muscles relaxing from being tense. He said it is very common. Don't worry!

DF

Old 05-07-2005, 07:59 PM   #5
(male)

TradeDayDan HB User

I'm glad I finally know a little about the problem now. But, is there a website somewhere that has more info? I did a web search and all that came up was other message boards discussing benign fasiculation syndrome. IS there somewhere that tells about it and what kinds of treatments there are?

Old 05-07-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

TradeDayDan,

It's really astonishing how hard it is to find literature on this syndrome, (and I'm a great researcher!) and what I have found is, as you have discovered, usually tied to BFS message boards and forums. There are a few articles I've come across but I can't link you to them as it would be breaching board guidelines. Some were pretty skimpy anyway.

I think the reason there are so many support groups and forums is that it IS so difficult to find literature for the layman on this.

My suggestion is that you start posting on the Neuromuscular Diseases board:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=93BFS-[/url]

and the Brain and Nervous System Disorders board-

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=21[/url]

I've read that some people find relief with everything from biofeedback, acupuncture, psychotherapy, anti-anxiety meds, anti-depression meds, to low doses of Tegretol (carbamazepine) or Klonopin (clonazepam), and Neurontin (gabapentin).
Also certain vitamins and minerals, particularly magnesium.

Gotta start somewhere I guess, and it couldn't hurt to start on these Healthboards.

zuzu xx

Closed Thread