It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
(female)

mercedes10 HB User
Lab bill dispute!

Greetings,

I am in a situation and need some advice from others that might have had a similar issue.

Here we go, I went to my gyno for my yearly pap smear/STD/HIV testing in Sept. 2004. Long story short, my insurance was billed $258.21. They paid the $258.21 in Nov. of 2004. I just received a bill from Quest Diagnostics for the difference of $86.00 for these lab results.

However, after reading the details of the invoice, I noticed that the doctor's office ordered several additional lab tests without my authorization. For instance, he did a cholesterol, TSH, Metabolic Panel, etc. I am in my middle 20's and consider myself to be healthy as a bee and never complained about my cholesterol and such. The doctor took it upon himself to order additional testing without my knowledge or approval. I called his office and he was uncooperative and said that maybe I forgot I ordered these test. I know for certain that I didn't and think this doctor is trying to pull a quick one on me.

What is my recourse for disputing these charges? I don't mind paying for something that I indeed requested; but it just makes me upset that doctors could take advantage of patients like this. It's the principle of ordering unnecessary test that I am disputing. Any suggestions on how to deal with this issue diplomatically?

I have spoken with the lab, insurance, and doctor's office already and no solutions yet.

I made a complaint with the Texas Board of Medical office already. Is that all I can do?

Last edited by moderator2; 05-16-2005 at 02:56 PM. Reason: please follow this question on the insurance board - post only one board please

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread