It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
(male)

Bushmaster HB User
Left pinky numb

Why does my left pinky and sometimes together with ring finder get numb? It is on and off at times, my left pinky feels different than the right one.

I have been having this numbness feeling on my left hand ring and pinky fingers, it is nothing that bothers me seriously, sometimes when I don't think of it, I don't even notice it, but it never goes away. It started 3 weeks ago. It was only the pinky finger, now it is both ring and pinky fingers. It comes and goes. It is so slight that only the touch of same fingers in different hands feels different. Sometimes gets a little more, very slight tingling feeling on those same left hand fingers. Do you think it might be anything serious and might get worse?

Thanks...

Last edited by Bushmaster; 05-24-2005 at 11:36 PM.

Old 05-24-2005, 11:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User
Re: Left pinky numb

Sounds like a nerve is being pinched. You should really see a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2005, 11:58 PM   #3
(male)

Bushmaster HB User

Is it very serious?

Old 05-25-2005, 12:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

You're not going to die from it if that's what you mean. If they don't figure out what's causing the numbness and treat it now, you risk the chance of the sensation spreading to other fingers, or further damage.

My father's pinky went numb after having a cortisone shot in his shoulder and he never bothered to see the doctor about it. The effects became permanent.

Old 05-25-2005, 12:15 AM   #5
(male)

Bushmaster HB User

I see, I wonder how are they going to diagnose this, I don't even know what it is, I got a smallpox shot around the same time this thing started, however the shot didn't react, I think it was a bad batch... Need to retake it.

I can find the nerve just above the elbow and when I rub that place, the muscle is kind of sore and I can feel the little shocks on my left pinky...

Old 05-25-2005, 01:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Bushmaster,

Usually numbness or sensory problems in the pinkie and ring finger suggest some kind of damage or trauma to the ULNAR nerve. The ulnar nerve travels from the neck, through the armpit, down the arm through the elbow and wrist into the hand and innervates that side of the hand.

Do you sit at the computer a lot and LEAN on that elbow? That simple action alone can compress the nerve at the elbow and cause the sensation you have. You know when you hit your "funny bone"? And the tingling you get from it? That's a result of trauma to the ulner nerve at the elbow.
Also, frequent bending of the elbow such as pulling levers, reaching, or lifting are common causes of ulnar nerve trauma.

You'll find a lot of folks with exactly the sensation you describe on the Carpel Tunnel Board...although carpel tunnel syndrome involves damage or trauma to the median nerve, which affects the other fingers and other side of the hand. Cubital tunnel syndrome involves the ulnar nerve affecting the pinky, ring and sometimes the middle finger.

zuzu xx

Old 05-25-2005, 01:18 AM   #7
(male)

Bushmaster HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8
Do you sit at the computer a lot and LEAN on that elbow? That simple action alone can compress the nerve at the elbow and cause the sensation you have. You know when you hit your "funny bone"? And the tingling you get from it? That's a result of trauma to the ulner nerve at the elbow.

Thank you Zuzu, yes I do sit at the computer a lot and lean on left elbow plus my wrist is resting on the edge of my big laptop all the time, I realized that today. My desk is higher than my chair, and you know laptops don't have ergonomic keyboards... anyhow, I found that spot right above my left elbow, I can rub it and send the shock waves, down to pinky and ring finger, whenever I do that, I feel that the slight numbness I already have, increases gradually, so it must be that nerve.

What to do to prevent, or recover? Should I go to the post doctor or give it sometime? How do they diagnose it and how do they treat it? Does it come back again?

Old 05-25-2005, 01:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

The early symptoms of cubital tunnel syndrome will usually respond to stopping the activity that is causing the symptoms.
Your may be compressing the nerve at the wrist AND the elbow from what you tell us about your computer habits!

Take frequent breaks or limit the amount of time you are leaning on that elbow! Same thing goes for your wrist...try to find a way not to have to flex it or place constant pressure on it or your palm when you are on the computer.

You needn't rush to a doctor right now... In your case, it sounds as if just simple modifications on how you use your computer will do the trick.

If that doesn't work, see an orthopedist who may offer you a lightweight arm or wrist splint to wear at night during sleep (this will limit elbow and/or wrist movement while you're at rest and help heal irritation. Sometimes the doc will give you a foam elbow pad, like those worn by athletes...You wear the pad in the bend of the elbow to prevent the elbow from being bent while you sleep. If the cause is direct pressure, like leaning on that elbow, an elbow pad may be good for you to protect the nerve from chronic irritation leaning on it.

You have very mild and early symptoms of nerve irritation. Chances are, as I said, a few simple adjustments to how you are at your computer will be the only "treatment" necessary.

Splinting would probably be the next non-invasive "treatment".
Surgery is very effective (but a last resort) when other measures don't work.

zuzu xx

Old 05-25-2005, 02:57 AM   #9
(male)

Bushmaster HB User

Thank you zuzu,

I found a picture which shows exactly where I feel the tingling.

http://www.e-hand.com/hw/cubital0.gif

Anyway, I will not lean on the elbow or use the hand at all, maybe for a week, when and if I have to use the computer I will use one hand, rest the left arm on the side... If tingling continues after a week, then I will go to sick call and have a doc look at it.

Thanks again from your hypochondriac friend...

Old 05-25-2005, 05:55 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Another possibility would be some sort of issues going on in your lower c spine.i have had major problems with my c 7 vertebrae and the c 8 nerve and the pinkie and ring fingers on my L hand are numb now.You don't have a c 8 vertebrae, but you DO have a c 8 nerve.There could be a bone spur or or some other issue that is affecting that c 8 nerve and causing problems.Also, I just wanted to mention to you about the fact that you state this all started right around the same time as your vaccination?it is a possibility that when you had the injection, they inadvertently hit the nerve there,which would have become irritated and caused these same types of symptoms.These are all just possible suggestions for you.This type of problem and it's causes,are unfortunetly kind of a Dx by ruling out things over time.for some more definitive answers, there is always an MRI.but in your current situation, that might be a little hard for you to obtain.just some thoughts here.I hope you get better soon.Time will tell,huh?also just wanted to say a big thank you for what you are doing over there for us here.Stay safe.Marcia

Old 07-25-2005, 04:22 AM   #11
(male)

shteve HB User

I have the exact same numbness/tingling in those two fingers - just like in the picture you posted. I've had it for five days, first time ever. Might it indicate a heart/circulation problem?

Old 07-26-2005, 01:14 AM   #12
(male)

Bushmaster HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve
I have the exact same numbness/tingling in those two fingers - just like in the picture you posted. I've had it for five days, first time ever. Might it indicate a heart/circulation problem?
No no, relax... Just rest... Mine is long gone, something is causing the nerve pinched somehow, just rest that arm. It will go away...

Old 07-28-2005, 08:21 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Earthwalk,

I agree with you that it sounds like ulnar nerve entrapment of some kind, whether at elbow or higher up in cervical spine area. Poor posture, and leaning on the arm as you say, is often the cause of this. However, a responsible chiropractor wouldn't dare touch or maniplulate the neck without first having you see a physician to make sure nothing more serious is going on.
Nerve impingement is usually diagnosed by a process of elimination. Barring circulatory issues, more serious spinal disease, or tumor etc, postural exercises and "re-training" with some good physical therapy and chiro are all really helpful but I would definitely get the okay from a doctor first.

zuzu

Last edited by zuzu8; 07-28-2005 at 08:22 AM.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #14
(male)

RastaJan HB User

Hello everybody. My left pinky finger has been experiencing numbness for 6 days and I'm starting to get nervous about it. Is it something serious? Is it something that goes away naturally? Sorry but I'm really starting to get scared! Does it have a connection with me playing the bass? Hope somebody can help me. Thanks everyone.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

viccles HB User

It can be from your back/neck. I had numbness in my left pinky and had my neck and back massaged out by a physio and it went away

Closed Thread