It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
(female)

rosey29 HB User
bad smell under arms

I don't know what causes this problem or smell under my arms its driving me crazy does anyone have some advice.

Last edited by rosey29; 05-29-2005 at 09:42 AM.

Old 05-29-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ScruffyGuy HB User
Re: bad smell under arms

Bacteria, perhaps? This is usually the culprit, though it is also possible that there's a recent shift in your "chemistry" that should be examined by a doc.

Try purchasing a bottle of Hibiclens surgical scrub. It's ten bucks at any pharmacy. This is a powerful antimicrobial cleanser commonly used in hospitals by docs and found in public restrooms and patient bathrooms, etc.

Read and CAREFULLY follow the directions on the label. Wash under your arms with the Hibiclens while you shower. Use a hair dryer to be sure your underarms are fully dry when you are done.

Give it a go for a few days -- if the problem is bacterial in nature, you should find a dramatic reduction in odor, if not complete elimination of odor.

If it doesn't work -- see a doc. If it does work, stop back and let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2005, 11:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

It could be your diet. Keep a log of what you eat and try to eat a well-balanced diet. Drink plenty of water also. If this doesn't work, see a doctor to rule out liver problems, a zinc depletion or a gastrointestinal disorder which can cause your digestive process to be sluggish and result in your sweat producing odd odors or ones that are more pungeant than what's "normal".

Old 05-30-2005, 03:09 PM   #4
(female)

rosey29 HB User

hi, I did speak to the pharmacist about my problem, he told me not to use it to wait until i see the doctor. For a stronger deodorant. but i still am open to any suggestions

Old 05-31-2005, 05:42 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ScruffyGuy HB User

Hibiclens can't hurt you -- so I am clueless as to why your pharmacist would tell you not to use it (assuming that's what you're saying -- you're phrasing is kind of vague).

If you wish to listen to him -- then why are you seeking more suggestions for OTHER things to do?

GO SEE THE DOCTOR if you won't try to ONE thing out there that is SURE to at least kill surface bacteria, which would at least eliminate that possibility.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:08 PM   #6
(female)

rosey29 HB User

when i went to the pharmacy i ask the pharmacist where can i find hibiclens and he told me where it was. Then i had explain my situation to him and i had ask what deodorant over the counter would he recommend i told him all the deodorants i've tried and he said don't get the hibiclens that is for deep wounds, so i left out puzzled. I did read the back and he said just wear light clothing and try to stay cool until i see the doctor. So i will go back and purchase it. But what about when i stop using it will my underarms become immune to it. Til I only can use that.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

Rosey- Prolonged use of Hibiclens CAN hurt you. It is not intended to be used as a prolonged treatment for under arm odor. We use it for pre-op patient showers and pre op surgical scrubbing. You have to keep it away from your ears, eyes, nose and mouth! This is the wrong product for your problem. Please don't use it. Wait until your doctor's appt. and follow his suggestion.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:30 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ScruffyGuy HB User

I'm not suggesting it as a prolonged treatment -- I'm suggesting it as an experiment to see if bacteria is the issue here or if there is something else at work systemically.

How can it hurt a person if applied in one area? Killing ALL the bacteria on the body is definitely a bad idea, I'd agree with that.

Hospitals and medical professionals use Hibiclens all the time -- it is provided in bathroom soap dispensers in patient rooms and public restrooms. If it is dangerous, why would hospitals allow folks to use it in restrooms, etc.? Why would hospital employees not be at risk from prolonged use on their hands?

I'd be interested in the answers to these questions.

Also, either Rosey or her pharmacist is incorrect -- Hibiclens is NOT for deep wounds. It is intended for general antimicrobial cleansing and for minor surface abrasions -- NOT deep wounds!

Old 06-03-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
(female)

rosey29 HB User

hi just wanted to update you two thanks for helping also. I did try the hibiclens and it did work the first day my deodorant stayed on for 9 hrs until i got home to take a shower then i use the hibiclens again the next day and it didn't work for more then 4 hours. I think my body is fighting hard against me. I did try neutrogena body wash it is helping a little better then regular soap. I am red under my arms from scrubbing. Good news I have a appointment Tuesday and I can't wait to tell the doctor how many things i've tried and i hope he has a solution. So I am looking forwarding to Tuesday and trying to stay cool in the mean while. Have a pleasant weekend until I write again, Thanks a million

Last edited by rosey29; 06-03-2005 at 04:50 PM.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:37 AM   #10
(female)

rosey29 HB User

hello, i have went to the doctor medical and dermatologist and they don't know what the hell is going on either. Its like they just want your money, hear your problem but don't get back to me. I'm all out of help I don't like this at all. I did screen the doctors over the phone and they told me they treat what i have but couldn't tell me anything i did get prescribed drysol but that is not working it is making me sweat more. I don't even think that was the problem it was the deodorants aren't strong enough for me i wonder do they have prescprition deodorants.

Old 06-21-2005, 05:22 PM   #11
(female)

rosey29 HB User

sorry to have been so mad at the last post. But finally i found out what was causing my body to have a odor it was my diet. I since then have been eating more salads and fruits and drinking water h2o and a vitamin a day it has gotten better and i even lost a little weight. Thanks for all the supporting post.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:26 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

I'd assume your using pitstick. But if your not get one with a moisturizer. My dad use to swear that not using deotorant was the way to go its natural and this and that (sick i know) and he began to smell something nasty under his pits and it was because they were turning raw from not having any moisturizer! Thankfully he's using pitstick again!

Old 06-29-2005, 12:23 PM   #13
(female)

rosey29 HB User

hello thanks for writing what is pit stick and where can you buy it.

Old 07-01-2005, 03:04 PM   #14
(female)

bigbuns HB User

What about putting some rubbing alcohol in a small spray bottle and after your shower spray under each arm and don't dress until it naturally dries. I do this and don't even need deodorant. I read that it kills bacteria which is the reason perspiration has an odor to begin with. Since reading that I have been doing it and it works for me. Good luck!

Old 07-05-2005, 12:45 AM   #15
(female)

rosey29 HB User

hi thanks but that doesn't work for me after and hour or so i need to wash again after washing or wiping with alcohol i have had this problem for some time a long time now but since i had my baby it has gotten worse plus the added pounds i'm trying to shed.

Closed Thread