It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
(female)

nikatnyte HB User
shadow on left lower lung on x-ray

Hello, I'm 36 years old and I recently went to the doctors for a left swollen lymph gland in neck and swollen eyes and after the doctor listened to my lungs he ordered an x-ray of my chest. I have no other symptoms except for fatigue. The x-ray revievled a shadow in my lower left lung so the doctor told me he is going to send it off to a radiologist to look at and the report came back that it looks like emphysema do he ordered some other tests such as pulimanary function test, abg's test and a echiodiogram and all those tests came back fine. So I guess I don't have emphysema but this is 3 week later and I still have a swollen gland and fatigue,nothing else so he did another chest x-ray and nothings changed the shadow is still there so he ordered more tests such as regular blood work and a soft tissue cat scan of my neck and a cat scan of my chest I got the results of my blood work which came back fine. I'm still waiting on results of the cat scans. My ???'s are What could be wrong...can this be cancer? My mom died from lung cancer. I don't feel sick at all,I don't have a cough even though I smoke 1 pack a day for the past 20 years of cigs. I feel like I breathe just fine. Are the swollen gland and the shadow related? I've had pluresy attacks in the past and in the last year I've had 3 serious attacks too me anyways it lasted more longer and was more painful. In the past 3 years I broke out on my left side with deep boils under my arm then on my grion right by my privates and then on my abdomen all on my left side and then 2 of them were on my right abdomen. these boils were big and painful that left very bad scarring on my skin. Could all of this be realated? I would appreciate any advice or suggestions I could get. This waiting is getting the best of me. Thank-you....Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 04:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User
Re: shadow on left lower lung on x-ray

With all those tests I'm sure they'd know if it were cancer. My father-in-law has it, but it was 2 tiny spots that were picked up easily on some test (and removed).

I heard various things could be the cause of something like that - have you ever had pneumonia or bronchitis really bad in the past? Many times that will leave scarring and will show up as a shadow. TB would too, but since you have no cough, that leaves that out. Even a cracked rib could show up as a lung shadow! So don't sit around thinking the worst, there are many other possibilities. And you mentioned pluresy - definite cause of a shadow! As for the boils? I don't know, since it's caused by bacteria entering the skin. Of course one is more susceptible to skin infections if they have diabetes; problems with the immune system; poor nutrition; poor hygiene or
exposure to harsh chemicals that irritate the skin...

Old 06-04-2005, 01:44 PM   #3
(female)

nikatnyte HB User

Thank-you for your response I apprectiate it. Does having plurisy cause your lymph gland to swell? Thanks..Nikki

Old 06-05-2005, 05:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikatnyte
Thank-you for your response I apprectiate it. Does having plurisy cause your lymph gland to swell? Thanks..Nikki
I would think so, as even ALLERGIES can cause lymph nodes to swell. Did they ever find out what CAUSED the pleurisy in the first place?

Have you lost any weight without trying?

Old 06-05-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
(female)

nikatnyte HB User

Hi,I haven't been to the doctor about the pluresy, but I've been told that, thats probably what it is. I had those attacks off and on since I was in my early 20's. My brother and sister get them too. No I haven't lost any weight without trying and I have a good appetite. In my blood work they checked for high white blood cell count but it was normal. If my gland was swollen from allergies would that blood count be normal? Thanks...Nikki

Old 06-06-2005, 07:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Not losing any weight is an EXCELLENT sign that it isn't cancer related. If a gland was swollen from allergies would your blood count be normal? I really don't know. But that too is a good sign that nothing major is happening, or the blood count would not be normal. I got a blood test done once and the next day got a cold - when the doctor called a week later he said my blood count was off and I told him about the cold, and he said, "That'll do it!" So a little COLD throws off the count, you can be sure anything worse would also! (and the count was off before I even had ANY symptoms)
keep searching for answers from your doctor, just so you can feel better, but I just wanted to post to you to ease your mind a bit in the waiting process, I know just how awful worrying about health can be!!

Old 06-06-2005, 01:21 PM   #7
(female)

nikatnyte HB User

thank-you for your input, truely appreciated. I'm still waiting on my results from the cat scan. I'm still worried but I'm trying to stay positive. Oh I forgot to mention that when my doctor listened to my lungs he told me that my right lung sounds normal but my left lung is missing breathe sounds so thats why he wanted to take the x-ray in the first place.Absent breath sounds in my lung is confusing me..my ? is, is this serious and what other conditions could be wrong besides cancer? More insight on this would be welcomed and apprecited. Thank-you...Nikki

Old 06-07-2005, 07:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikatnyte
thank-you for your input, truely appreciated. I'm still waiting on my results from the cat scan. I'm still worried but I'm trying to stay positive. Oh I forgot to mention that when my doctor listened to my lungs he told me that my right lung sounds normal but my left lung is missing breathe sounds so thats why he wanted to take the x-ray in the first place.Absent breath sounds in my lung is confusing me..my ? is, is this serious and what other conditions could be wrong besides cancer? More insight on this would be welcomed and apprecited. Thank-you...Nikki
That I really couldn't say, I'd be totally guessing. COULD be some damaged bronchia (sorry, bad speller!) - but what it's damaged from could be anything at all. Bad case of a past bronchitis could possibly even do it.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:39 PM   #9
(female)

nikatnyte HB User

I just got the results of my ct scan and everything came back normal,Thank-God!!! The shadow on my lung was a calcifacation (opps I don't know how to spell) nothing to worry about, I still have the swollen gland and now the right one is swollen also. The doc says that he wants to keep an eye on them because he says that the ct scan is only about 50% accurate when it comes to detecting cancer of the lymph nodes so he gave me an antibotic and i need to see him in 2 weeks. He is going to monitor the glands for the next 3 months and if there still swollen he's going to recommend to have my lymph gland removed for a biopsy. Thank-God again that I didn't have lung cancer which was worrying me to death. Keep me in your prayers and thanks for all the input....Nikki

Old 06-08-2005, 07:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

I'm really happy to hear everything came out good for you! I KNOW how horrible worry is and though I don't know you I really am happy for you!!

Closed Thread