It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2005, 02:06 AM   #1
(female)

ashley_moore HB User
Woke up vomiting black...

I woke up and have vomited 3 times and it is black..
I called my family docs office and the doctor who was on call told me it's 4am what do you want me to do? and told me to go to the emergency room...I have never vomited this color and was worried..
I am also having pain in my right lower side, nausea, seeing black spots and feel real thirsty even after i drink water.
Can this wait until Monday or should i go to ER? My doctors office don't seem to care and the doctor was rude and wouldn't answer my ?'s...

Old 06-18-2005, 02:14 AM   #2
(female)

meatball HB User
Re: Woke up vomiting black...

Ashley,

Is it black liquid? Or are there specks of black? Did you eat anything out of the ordinary? Sometimes if you see black that looks like coffee grinds it is blood. I would have it checked asap. Keep me posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2005, 02:17 AM   #3
(female)

ashley_moore HB User

It looked like coffee grounds and had a really weird taste and smell.

Old 06-18-2005, 02:24 AM   #4
(female)

meatball HB User

It is possible that it is dried blood. You should see a doc as soon as you can.

Old 06-18-2005, 02:27 AM   #5
(female)

ashley_moore HB User

I was thinking of going to the ER but they are really slow and i have to work a show tonight and can't miss work and i'm afraid i will not get out in time.

Old 06-18-2005, 04:28 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

Go to the ER immediately...vomiting coffee ground emesis is indicative that you may be bleeding somewhere from to esophagus to your stomach. It may be as simple as an ulcer or something more serious.

Old 06-18-2005, 05:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

cflas is right.I certainly hope you have gone to the ER by now.it does indeed sound like you are vomiting up partially digested blood.Combined with the R sided pain,it would appear that this could be a severe liver problem.Is your upper abdomen distended or bloated?Do you currently have any red looking sort of "spots" on your face or upper chest area?what you are experiencing is the exact same way my youngest son presented when he was in liver failure due to (at that time)an undiagnosed liver disease.We did not even know he was sick until he just vomited up blood one day after i had sent him off to school.This is a true emergency as you are bleeding from "somewhere".If this is not evaluated very soon you could suffer some major complications just from the sudden blood loss alone.This could be caused by many possible conditions,some emergent and some would not be,but at any rate, you have to see a Dr soon and the best place for that right now would be your local ER.I really hope you have already gone and are getting some sort of treatment right now,but if not, please do not mess around here and get yourself looked at.Please keep us posted on what you find out.I really hope this is nothing life threatening for you.FB

Old 06-19-2005, 07:56 PM   #8
(female)

ashley_moore HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflas
Go to the ER immediately...vomiting coffee ground emesis is indicative that you may be bleeding somewhere from to esophagus to your stomach. It may be as simple as an ulcer or something more serious.

I had an EGD and Cystoscope less than a month ago because of gross hematuria and they both came back normal. I went through the ER yesterday after becoming severly nausiated and vomiting 3 more times. All they did was put an IV in and run fluids, nausea meds and some pain med in me. They took some blood and said my White cell count was 18.(my wbc has been high for over a year and i'm seeing a hematologist so this didn't shock me). The ER doc told me to follow up with my Gastro doc on Mon (tomorrow)...So i guess they can do more tests and hopefully find a reason before i go out of my mind...LOL

Old 06-19-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
(female)

ashley_moore HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad
cflas is right.I certainly hope you have gone to the ER by now.Yep!
it does indeed sound like you are vomiting up partially digested blood.Combined with the R sided pain,it would appear that this could be a severe liver problem.Is your upper abdomen distended or bloated?
Yes
Do you currently have any red looking sort of "spots" on your face or upper chest area?Yes but i think it's hives from food allergy's as well as some on my right arm
what you are experiencing is the exact same way my youngest son presented when he was in liver failure due to (at that time)an undiagnosed liver disease.We did not even know he was sick until he just vomited up blood one day after i had sent him off to school.This is a true emergency as you are bleeding from "somewhere".If this is not evaluated very soon you could suffer some major complications just from the sudden blood loss alone.
My hematolist told me i will need another iron infusion soon due to anemia been suffering from alot of problems with very low iron
This could be caused by many possible conditions,some emergent and some would not be,but at any rate, you have to see a Dr soon and the best place for that right now would be your local ER.I really hope you have already gone and are getting some sort of treatment right now,but if not, please do not mess around here and get yourself looked at.Please keep us posted on what you find out.I really hope this is nothing life threatening for you.FB
Did he have a high WBC & Platlet count?

Old 06-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #10
(female)

ashley_moore HB User

I changed gastroenterolist docs and the new one had me bring medical records i picked up of all of my recent tests and also ran some tests. I was told that my tests a month ago was normal but the new doctor found it showed i had "helicobacter pylori" and i was not told or treated for it...It can cause ulcers..They also found other problems i was not told i had. So maybe this is good and i can get the treatment and feel good again.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:24 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Glad you found a doc who is actually willing to do something for you.An ulcer would indeed cause the type of vomiting you are having.You know, suprisingly, when my son was first Dxed with his liver failure(he only had about 20% of his function left)but all of his labs were only just a little out of the ranges,not huge like I would have expected.It really amazes me at just how bad things really have to get before the damage actually shows up in lab tests.His labs did not really get out of the ranges until he was almost in complete failure.He also developed pancreatitis ,now THOSE labs were sky high.I wish you luck here and hope you are feeling better soon.Just out of curiosity, you mentioned that there were other things wrong that your other doc did not tell you about, what were they?

This all just goes to show you the real importance of obtaining all of your own medical records.When I was in the middle of trying for disability, i got copies of all of my past records and was just amazed at all of the info contained in them that I was never told about either.Now,every six months or so, i get all of my docs records updated so I know just what is going on with my treatments.This is also extremely helpful if you have to see different docs or end up in the ER for some reason.Keep all recent labs and important records in a seperate file(I also bring this file to every doc appt)so if you need the records in an emergent situation, you can just grab that file and go.this allows you to just hand over the file to the attending doc and you don't have to try and remember dates and other stuff that i know I forget to mention.its all there for them in that file.Just a suggestion.Keep me posted on your progress,K?FB

Old 06-23-2005, 06:18 PM   #12
(female)

ashley_moore HB User

The thing that made me mad was the doc did the colonoscopy and biopsies and told me they came back normal but i had a bacterial infection, the one i was talking about "H_pylori", He also told me i had a kidney stone i didn't realize i had.
I also was told after suffering in severe pain my gallbladder was fine but had to have it removed after suffering from severe pain. The thing was full of gallstones and polyps were in it, the doctors excuse was they don't always see gallstones in ultra sounds but he made me suffer for a year in pain and i kept telling him and he did nothing so i went for a second opinion...
The weird thing is i always get my medical records but this one was NEVER signed by the doctor so it never went into my records they just happened to fax it to the new doctor and i had never seen it..Strange i know. I was told if the doctor don't sign off on it, they can't give it to me. I doubt the doctor even looked at it...

Old 06-24-2005, 02:19 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

Dear Ashley - it sounds, obviously, as though you were misdiagnosed by the first doctor but the second one is on the right track. I wish they were all like your second doctor but, at least, now it seems as though you are being treated well. Remember: "What do they call the med student who graduates at the bottom of his class? The answer: 'Doctor.'" chris

Old 06-24-2005, 02:40 AM   #14
(female)

ashley_moore HB User

You want to know something really strange about the 1st doctor...I was actually still a patient of hers and she never sent me a notice she had even left the office until i had went for a follow-up and i was told i had a new doctor that day. I asked when she was coming back and they said she decided she wasen't coming back after all..Kind of strange but that's what i was told..

Old 06-24-2005, 05:28 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dosen't sound like a really huge loss to me,lol.FB

Closed Thread