It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
(female)

milkmade HB User
Infection after Hemorrhoidectomy

Here goes....my husband had a Hemorrhoidectomy on June 24th. Terrible pain. Now 8 days after surgery he has some yellow discharger (pus?). Anyone had this? Does anyone know if this sounds normal? Scared, had to take him to emergency twice this week because of post-of complications. Thanks.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User
Re: Infection after Hemorrhoidectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmade
Here goes....my husband had a Hemorrhoidectomy on June 24th. Terrible pain. Now 8 days after surgery he has some yellow discharger (pus?). Anyone had this? Does anyone know if this sounds normal? Scared, had to take him to emergency twice this week because of post-of complications. Thanks.
Yellowish discharge after a Hemorrhoidectomy is common. He is in such pain because that is one of the most painful surgeries ever! Any surgical procedure done to the rectum is terribly painful. However, you mention that you had to take him to the E/R for PO complications? Complications of what sort? Because you said this, I think he should be seen by the doctor. I know he probably doesn't want to go in again but if he has developed an infection or other problem, it needs to be addressed now so he doesn't develop other complications. Also, I would advise against going to the E/R since E/R doctors are not surgeons and they will not be able to do anything proper for him in regard to knowing what is exactly even wrong with your husband. All they can do is give him an antibiotic and/or pain med and send him home. Your husband's surgeon needs to be notified. If it is after hours, call your hospital's switchboard and ask to speak with your doctor or the partner who is on call for their practice. Get treatment from the surgeon and no other.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 01:52 AM   #3

mr?man HB User

Hi,

I had a hemrhoidectomy in April of this year ('05), and I am still experiencing discharge. It has lessened a lot, but still enough to be worrisome/nasty. I am a male, and have had to wear pany liners to keep from spotting my pants. I was very alarmed of infection causing this, and my dr. says it is totally normal after this awful surgery. He was not concerned about the discharge at all, and says it can last as long as 6 months

I can tell you it gets better every day, the pain from this surgery. I am 41, and had this surgery at 23 also. It was much harder this past time, probably due to age. My biggest problem now is the discharge that drives me NUTS, but other than that, the surgery was worth it all, AGAIN! I hope it will be at least another 18 years before I have to have it again, IF I ever have to have it again!!

Good luck to your husband, and if he is having lots of complications, post them on here. There are a lot of complications after this surger, that are pretty normal, just painful. It is the worst surgery on earth I believe.

If he really thinks they are complications, infections etc., please send him back for a follow up with his surgeon/dr.

Old 07-04-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

There are other symptoms that may help you to determine if there is infection. They are: is he running a fever? Is the pain greater or less than immediately post-op? Is there any blood in the discharge? Does it resemble a "discharge" or stool? I had the same surgery many years ago and don't remember any discharge. But the pain?! Holy crap...

As for the ER. If he has a temperature, blood in the discharge, increased pain, either call the doctor or go to the ER. The ER is for emergency cases and those ER doctors are not just there to give you pain medication or antibiotics. They are there to evaluate the situation, contact your doctor, order tests, and admit you to the hospital if need be. Certainly, if they think your husband is infected, they will contact, at the very least, your doctor. Good luck. chris

Old 07-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #5
(female)

milkmade HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr?man
Hi,

I had a hemrhoidectomy in April of this year ('05), and I am still experiencing discharge. It has lessened a lot, but still enough to be worrisome/nasty. I am a male, and have had to wear pany liners to keep from spotting my pants. I was very alarmed of infection causing this, and my dr. says it is totally normal after this awful surgery. He was not concerned about the discharge at all, and says it can last as long as 6 months

I can tell you it gets better every day, the pain from this surgery. I am 41, and had this surgery at 23 also. It was much harder this past time, probably due to age. My biggest problem now is the discharge that drives me NUTS, but other than that, the surgery was worth it all, AGAIN! I hope it will be at least another 18 years before I have to have it again, IF I ever have to have it again!!

Good luck to your husband, and if he is having lots of complications, post them on here. There are a lot of complications after this surger, that are pretty normal, just painful. It is the worst surgery on earth I believe.

If he really thinks they are complications, infections etc., please send him back for a follow up with his surgeon/dr.
Thanks so much to all of you who wrote me back. I had to search everywhere to find a messageboard like this. I'm so grateful I found you all.

A little info...My husband was able to pass urine after surgery and the next day, but on day three he was unable too. I called the on-call doctor and he said we should wait a minimum of 8 hours before I took him into the ER. I said I wasn't waiting and it's a good thing we went in because the ER doc said he had over a liter of fluid built up. He was catheterized and I took him home with it. They fit him with a "leg bag" and every two hours it had to be drained. He was totally bummed by this, as was I.
I called his doc the next day, but he was in surgery, so I talked with the Medical Asst., she said it should be left in for three days or he would be back in the hospital. She said his prostrate had swelled up.

Well, we just delt with it the best we could. Day 5 he was having difficulty breathing and his uvula (the thing that hangs down the back of your throat), swelled up, his tongue swelled and he couldn't swallow. So I called 911, they said it was a possibility of two things: allergic reaction to meds, or edema from intubation during surgery. So off we went to the ER. Found out it was both things. They gave him an IV of steroids to get the swelling down and took him off the pain meds.

Next morning I called his surgeon (never was able to reach him before, he does surgery in the morning), he said to bring him to his office that afternoon. When the doc saw him, he took out the catheter and checked him and said all looked fine. So, we have an appt. on Friday for his follow-up.

Yep, both of us are wondering when it will be all over and he feels good again. The pain level has been excrutiating. He told me yesterday, that he feels taumatized by this whole thing. We hope that soon this will be a distant memory.
Thanks for your care and concern. Nice to know we are not alone in this.

Closed Thread