It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
(female)

TNWalz HB User
Ankles Swelling in Hot Weather

Why do my ankles (especially the left one) swell when the weather gets hot and humid? A definite pattern has developed over the past three or four years. I have absolutely no fluid retention during the cool seasons.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Ankles Swelling in Hot Weather

Reduce salt intake and see if that helps. Try to stay 2,000 mg. or less sodium per day. Avoid pre-pared foods, mixes, etc. they all contain too much sodium. Resturant food is high in sodium.

Read labels close for sodium content. Fresh chicken in the store has been soaked in salty broth. Sodium is hidden in many things.

Elevating feet when possible will help too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2005, 11:11 AM   #3
(female)

TNWalz HB User

I didn't know about the fresh chicken and I've been consuming it often, thinking it was salt free! Thank you for the heads up on this!

I have avoided processed foods and many restaurant foods.

The correlation between the swelling and hot weather still remains a enigma.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Maybe I have found the answer partially.
The type of ankle swelling you describe has no known cause and usually occurs intermittently, being worse in hot weather. It doesn't normally pose any significant threat to health, but is incurable and therefore may be life-long.

As ankle swelling can sometimes be associated with significant medical conditions, it would be wise to see your doctor for a check. A normal medical history and physical examination would help confirm the diagnosis. It is likely that any other tests they may perform (e.g. kidney blood tests) would be normal too.

The symptoms only need treating if they become particularly troublesome, when support stockings might be of benefit. Very occasionally, a water tablet or diuretic may be prescribed for intermittent use, but only if considered absolutely necessary by your doctor. At least this is one doctor's opinion.

Old 07-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
(female)

TNWalz HB User

My doctor says the same thing - there is no known cause - mine is a hot weather thing. There has been a definite seasonal pattern over the past four or five years, but I can also remember a few times when I was still in my twenties and early thirties.

This summer is typical. Only in the past two or three weeks, when temperatures soared into the 90's, did the daily swelling begin as well as the need for diuretics.

So I must pray for an early autumn, since an artic move isn't feasible!

Thanks, Marie! You've been a great help!

Old 07-09-2005, 02:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

An example of how temperatue affects swelling in my hands. Waited a few years until I lost weight to have wedding rings sized. One morning when temperature was nice and my rings were way too large. Got out at jewelers, then back into the car and during this time temperature was quite warm. Tried on my rings and they were about right. Turned on a/c in car and and later tried on rings, too large. It took only that short time to change size of my fingers!! go figure!! Decided it best to wait until temperature was more stable and finally had new rings made using my diamonds. Picked up the ring and it was just right, later when weather turned cool, ring was too large again. This summer the same thing is happening, depending on whether I am in a/c or in the hotter temperature. I hate the plastic things you put on rings to make smaller, too large a blob and would have to take it on and off all day long most likely.

Closed Thread