It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2005, 04:15 PM   #1

TRiley HB User
Nose Picking Harmful?

I have a friend who has a habit of nose picking, infront of whomever and whenever. I am concerned that it's harming him and my other related question is: could nose picking change the shape of your nose. Increase the width for example?

Have joked saying it's doubled in size since I've met him but would like to know if there's any truth behind it.

Old 07-10-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Nose Picking Harmful?

it's quite rude to pick one's nose in front of other people. I worked with a "gentleman"? who did it at the lunch table. I just disappeared when the event started to take place (sheesh). He was always in his own "zone" out when doing it.

But, I do think it can widen the nose a bit if the finger is constantly up there. Totally makes sense. OK, here goes..when I blow my nose, I make sure it's cleaned out (finger in the kleenex)..and my husband tells me my nostrils are a bit wider. He never does it or picks his nose and he has small nostrils (no, not like michael jackson!!)

Ever ask what the interest in there is?

I think it's a stress reducer....while deep in thought or thinking of something that might be stressful..or require more of a thinking process.
I twirl my hair when at home while watching TV. I chew gum a lot when out or working..as well, when internally stressed a bit, I do fidget with my fingers or earrings...but never pick my nose.

Ever notice how many people pick their noses at a red traffic light???? Yikes! It's got to be something to it for sure.

Does your friend get lots of colds? If so, tell him that the cold virus is topically inserted into the nose via fingers...

The other thought...maybe he doesn't want people to be around him and is doing it to head people off?

Just throwing out ideas.....but bottom line....it's just not nice to do it in public.

My perspective,
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 01:24 AM   #3

TRiley HB User

I'd agree with you for most part, but I'd put it primarily down to habit over anything else.
He's very healthy, diet and excersize wise so rarely gets ill, I see no effect on him other then it being nasty to see. I also doubt it's to get people away as he'll do it in front of his family aswell, doesn't bother me much but I can't help but think how others think of him.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Habits are developed from starting a behaviour that has initially worked for one thing...and it just continues (automatically) because it still works.

When he's picking his hose ask him why at that moment. The only way to change a habit or stop it is to have it come to a cognitive level. If one isn't aware, change will not happen.....but if he has to answer for himself at the time he's doing it..say, I was thinking about ..whatever!, he'll realise that it's connected to some sort of stress.

He gets a reward from it, or he wouldn't do it.....mindless or not, it was developed to counter something.

If you're worried about how others perceive him, you should because it's a culturally inappropriate thing to do. You'd be doing him a HUGE favour by bringing it to his attention.

One way for him to stop could be aversion therapy...place an elastic band around his wrist. Each time he picks his nose, snap it. He'll soon have a negative connection with nose picking. Anyway, you get the idea...it has to come to a cognitive level regardless.

Mindless or habit doesn't mean it's right....he could blow a job because of it. It's just plain inappropriate.

My perspective on it.
quincy

Old 07-11-2005, 03:57 PM   #5

TRiley HB User

Your'e a great poster Quincy, thank you for the effort.
I'll come up with something to associate nose picking with something negative, I'm thinking of broken bones, or perhaps an elastic band will do as you say.

But physically is this a problem? Can someone really reshape the nose by picking?

( saying yes would do me a favour, could print off and show him .. but would obviously appreciate an honest answer )

Thanks

Old 07-11-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

bleedingsoul88 HB User

Picking your nose shouldn't cause any long-term cosmetic problems. But my doctor warned me when I was younger that accidentally scratching the lining of your nasal passages with your fingernails can cause irritation, swelling, and sometimes nosebleeds....(trust me on the nosebleeds, they suck).

But otherwise, there shouldn't be to much to worry about, besides maybe the mannerism part of it.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:55 AM   #7
(female)

sarakay444 HB User

This post leaves me wondering if this man has a girlfriend or ever has hopes of getting one. As a woman, I find this habit a total turnoff and if a date ever did this in front of me at the beginning of our relationship, it would be a total deal breaker. I'm conjuring up all sorts of images of a very attractive man with his finger shoved up his nose. Actually, just thinking about it is starting to make me gag a little.

Closed Thread