It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
(male)

donaldtalbert HB User
Broken ribs problems breathing

My girlfriend was in a crash and broke a rib from it. She has has been haveing a hardtime breathing and at times her breathing will compleatly stop and she claims it only does that when she moves into certian positions. Well she went to a doc and they said she will just have to wait it out for 3 months BUT i dont think this doc was very good at what he does and more could of been done. At times her breathing will stop for 3mins max. Is the risk high that it could hurt her in her sleep and is there anything more that can be done / should go see another doc? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User
Re: Broken ribs problems breathing

She can actually hold her breath for three minutes!? Look, any rib fracture is going to cause difficulty breathing, not so much because it affects the lungs, but because she has a broken bone and bruised muscles. They won't surgically repair rib fractures unless then have perforated an organ, like the lung or the heart, both which you would know immediately because she would be in shock or deceased.

However, if she really thinks that the rib fracture is causing her to stop breathing and not that she is being protective because of the pain, then she need to get it checked out. Three minutes appears to be a pretty long time for her to cease respirations. Crap, if this happened at the mall, she'd pass out and they'd initiate CPR. chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
(male)

donaldtalbert HB User
Re: Broken ribs problems breathing

Hah thats what i said when she told me it happened for 3 mins (must of just "seemed" like 3 mins) but thanks alot just wanted to check and make sure the doc was right.

Closed Thread