It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2005, 10:22 AM   #1

annarayne HB User
Question weird and painful bump in front of ear on jaw line

hey everyone.. i'm just wondering about something. this morning when i was washing my face i felt a bump on my face. more so on my jaw line, in front of my ear. it's not noticeable to look at but it does hurt to touch. it's not a zit, as what i'd assume the first thing that would come to most people's minds. it's very deep in the tissue or however you want to say it. it's like a round ball probably the size of a marble, maybe a bit less but it's fairly big to not have noticed until now i checked the other side if it was the same but it isnt. i'm just wondering what this can be and if it requies a visit to the doc at all or if it'll go away eventually. thanks

Old 07-20-2005, 01:43 AM   #2

bassie HB User
Re: weird and painful bump in front of ear on jaw line

Hi annarayne,

It sounds like a sebaceous cyst which is a round "ball" type growth with 'cheesy' looking substance in it. Generally they are not painful unless infected by ingrown hair or something similar.
It is usually requires a doctors visit if it is painful.
Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 10:14 PM   #3

annarayne HB User

i looked this up although, it doesn't really seem to make sense with it. this isn't just below the skin.. it's pretty much where my jaw is. it also can't move, neither is there any cheesy substance.. it's very deep in the skin, it's not in the top layers.. i really believe it's much closer to my jaw as it pushes against it a bit and affects my tmj. there's no discolouration on my skin... no obvious lump that you can see by just looking because it's so far down. maybe this still can be a sebaceous cyst... but from what i'm reading i'm not so sure. thanks though.. tomorrow i've got a doc appointment.. so we'll see what she says eh. might come back with "so you were right"

Old 07-21-2005, 09:42 PM   #4

annarayne HB User

went in to see her today, the doc believes it's a swollen node.. lymph node or something. she said if by a week it doesn't go away on its own to go back. she said that a cyst wouldn't hurt at all so she doesn't think thats what it is. never knew there were nodes there? 0.o

Old 07-22-2005, 09:54 PM   #5
(female)

Diva10 HB User

A couple of months ago I had pink eye, I went to an eye doctor and he found that ball like thing just like you explained in the exact same spot, he said that it was completly normal for some one with an eye problem, said with some eye issues it is almost a certenty that the ball will be there,
The only difference is that mine did not hurt. I did not even know it was there till he felt for it.
But my husband a few weeks before me had to go to an eye doctor for something different then myself, although he did not know that one was there because of the other (the eye problem and the ball in front of his ear)
his ball in front of his ear hurt, it was excatly like the ball I had though.
I will assume you do not have an eye problem, you did not mention it, so cant really help, but just to let you know what I know about that, but if you do then go to an eye doctor, what my husband now has is very serious and he could eventually lose his eye site in an eye.
Good luck
Diva10

Closed Thread