It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
(female)

butterfly84 HB User
Help! I have fleas

I have fleas.. and I don't really know where they came from. I slept over at someone's house and they have a cat, so that may be it? But they have no bites. I noticed the little black bugs biting me both at their house and mine. Today the bugs just keep appearing on my feet and i just jump it scares me.. and I have a million bumps. I vacuumed a little and sprayed some raid a little.. I don't really know what to do since I dont have a pet. My mom has no bites and she acts like I am crazy when I say we have fleas... Anyone have any experience with this?? What can i do? Thanks so much for any help...

Old 08-13-2005, 01:23 AM   #2
(female)

candycandy HB User
Re: Help! I have fleas

Oh my goodness! that sounds insane!!! Don't spray raid!!! Isn't there some carpet powder you can use, then vacuum it up? Once, we got rid of some people who were renting our townhouse, and I was convinced that the carpet had fleas (they said they didn't keep a pet) but we totally had to break out the bug-bomb. That takes a lot of work (it wasn't too bad for us, since they just moved out and the place was completely empty) because you'd have to cover your dishes and pantry. Do you have a lot of carpet? You might be able to shampoo it with something.

Good luck!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2005, 07:27 AM   #3
(female)

butterfly84 HB User

Hey thanks a lot.. I seriously just woke up and I just got a new bite.. ugh. I think they are mainly in my room and that I brought them in... what's weird is I'm the only one getting bit, my mom and my friend have not. More than the itching, I am creeped out by the idea of bugs biting me for blood. I asked my mom to go to the store and I had the idea of carpet powder but she said they didnt have anything.. maybe I need to go to a pet store specifically?? I an going crazy

Thanks for the advice!

Old 08-13-2005, 09:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

Some people fleas seem to bite alot and then others aren't bothered by fleas.You must be one that fleas bite and you more bothered by them. Any pet store will carry the rug powder or flea bombs.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
(female)

butterfly84 HB User

I got some Raid for fleas.. and went to the pet store and got powder for fleas.. right now its soaking into the carpet so hopefully tomorrow I can vacuum it and that should help I hope. I sprayed the Raid on my comforter and all over my carpet in my room and on the couches and stuff... I also go t insect repelllant spray so I hope that will make them back off.. I havent noticed many new bites but I still feel an itch like one just bit me from time to time

Thanks for all the help

Old 08-13-2005, 12:53 PM   #6
(female)

candycandy HB User

In the meantime, put on some thick socks! And I wouldn't sit on the floor, either... I hope you can wash the bedclothes before you use them... I don't think raid is good for humans.

Old 08-13-2005, 01:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

hi
I once had this problem pretty bad in my house from a stray cat my kids had brought inside grrr lol.What I did was shampooed the carpets ,sprayed an inside flea killer all along the bottom baseboards of my walls.Then for a couple weeks once daily I put a popourii scented flea powder down on the carpets let it sit and vaccumed.Apprently this took care of the problem because I havent had a flea problem since 3 yrs ago.If the power doesnt work you may unfortunaely have to bomb or call in the pros. I agree with another poster too make sure you wash anything that you have put that raid on especialy anything that will be touching your skin or you may ingest.

i hope you get it under control good luck!

Old 08-13-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
(female)

butterfly84 HB User

Thank you all so much for all the help so far, I do see on the Raid that it is bad if it gets on your skin or if you eat it etc. I will probably have my comforter washed soon... it just sucks because I just washed it a week ago. I changed my sheets too incase.. Do you think they get on stuffed animals?? Since this just started this week I'm hoping they havent gotten that far yet.. a lot of mine are white so I bet I would see them. I did actually see a flea in the carpet right here (I spend a lot of time in the computer chair, I think this is where they bite me a lot, no one else sits here so that may be why I'm the only one).. and I got scared and left haha. I hate the bites, I got Aveeno so maybe that will help with the itching. I cant wait to vacuum tomorrow.. this is a nightmare lol.

Thanks again

Old 08-13-2005, 06:20 PM   #9
(female)

candycandy HB User

The little buggers might run to your stuffed animals, just to escape the raid. But I don't think they'd stay there for long. They need to eat to survive, and they tend to like warm spots (when they live on animals, they hide in and around the ears, and under the collar, and near the belly). You may want to put your stuffed friends in a trash bag away from the carpet (thank goodness fleas can't fly!) and up on a shelf somewhere, or in a suitcase so nobody mistakes them for trash.

1% Hydrocortisone will stop the itching. Just apply sparingly. You might wanna go with .5% if you have sensitive skin.

Try to lay off the raid as much as possible if you can, that stuff's toxic!

Old 08-13-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
(female)

butterfly84 HB User

I put most of my stuffed animals in a bag in a farther away room.. I still have some on my bed tho that I sleep with I don't think the fleas have really gotten on my bed so I hope theyll be ok. I never wake up with new bites it seems, so I dont think theyre in there. Today has been good bite wise, I only got 2 or 3 I think... I think the carpet powder is settling in and helping. I see what you are saying about Raid.. have you had a bad experience with it? It says to ventillate but I cant because all our windows are broken, I dont really smell it though.. I sprayed it on the couches and carpet.. the can says to spray on upholstery and carpets... I hope I dont get anything from being around it! I think once I vacuum tomorrow thiungs will start to get somewhat better.. I'll keep you all updated lol

Thanks again

Old 08-13-2005, 08:36 PM   #11
(female)

butterfly84 HB User

One other thing... is there any way I can flush out whatever fumes might be in my system... I'm going to take my blanket off my bed because I'm scared I sprayed it too much... Will drinking water help? The AC is running, so that probably helps clear the air some I hope... I probably sound dumb or something but I've never dealt with bugs before so I'm fearful of what i am doing

Old 08-14-2005, 11:55 AM   #12
(female)

candycandy HB User

So the raid you're using is specifically made for indoors and upholstery? Then, it should be okay. As long as you don't have small children around (especially infants who spend a lot of time on the floor) or pets (even birds). I've never had a bad experience with raid, but I'm also very cautious. Just keep your socks on, or house slippers, and try not to breathe too deep immediately after you spray (til the fumes settle down).

Old 08-14-2005, 01:48 PM   #13
(female)

butterfly84 HB User

Hi again, I decided to change everything in my room just incase I put too much raid.. but I think things are ok as long as I dont spray it excessively. Ive been walking around in sandals and wearing 2 pairs of socks lol.. I havent noticed any new bites.. i think things are working! Or I hope.. I'm going to vacuum soon.

And I dont have pets or any kids around, just me and my mom.. so I'm not worried about it i think things will be ok

Fleas sure can be annoying

Old 08-17-2005, 05:18 AM   #14
(female)

Vball_#4 HB User

The best thing I have used to get rid of fleas was table salt. Just put some around the edges of your carpet. This got rid of mine and wasn't toxic.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:32 AM   #15
(female)

butterfly84 HB User

That's interesting... did it attract other bugs though? (i have no idea if insects like to eat salt or not)

I think for the most part Ive gotten rid of them.. but im not going to assume that and I will probably powder the carper one more time this weekend or something to hopefully get rid of any last remanants of them.

im stilll wearing socks all day incase hehe. but i havent been bitten in a day or 2 so thats good.

Closed Thread