It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

samantha559 HB User
Question why does my face turn red when i drink alcohol

when I drink any kind of alcohol my face turns bright red and all my scars get even more red... this is so embarrassing but I do like to drink sometimes with my friends or when I go out but I just always feel like everyone is looking at me because of my red face... I was wondering if there was a cure for this or maybe something I can take to make this go away.

Old 08-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
(male)

Diggler HB User
Re: why does my face turn red when i drink alcohol

I get this also. Apparently it is because you are lacking an enzyme which breaks down alcohol. Therefore causing an allergic-type reaction - racing pulse, flushing, etc.

The only way I can combat it is this:

Before I get ready to go out, about 90 minutes before I expect to start drinking. I have about 100mls Vodka straight. This causes my red face, which then goes away whilst I'm getting ready (i.e. no-one can see). Then when I go out, the flushing has gone, and for some reason I can now drink alcohol without the red face - although it may happen again later on (about 3-4 hours later).

I dont think there is anything you can take to stop it.

I have read in the past that a drug that is used to treat alcoholism is designed to inhibit this enzyme - and therefore cause vomiting and sickness (stopping the person drinking).

The enzyme is called mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase.

This condition is prevalent in Asians. I believe this is because in ancient times they would steralise water by boiling and adding tea, whereas Westerners would add alochol to kill bacteria. Therefore our background developed a way of dealing with alcohol, and Asians did not evolve to do so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2005, 05:34 AM   #3
(male)

smc612 HB User
Re: why does my face turn red when i drink alcohol

same problem. i have allergies,high blood pressure. i believe that's what does it to me.

Closed Thread