It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
(female)

ryanandmaran1 HB User
Why won't my eyelid stop twitching??

My right upper eyelid began twitching in May (4 months ago) and it hasn't stopped since. I have seen three doctors about this, all of whom shrug it off as being due to stress, fatigue, or just some little quirk that will disappear eventually on its own.

But I don't feel like it ever will, and I can't help but fear it's caused by something much worse! I've tried everything- hot compresses, extra vitamin supplements...and if I sleep any more than I already do I'd be in a coma! (The twitch is actually at its worst right when I wake up!)

I recently began taking anti-anxiety medicine, which I had hoped might take away the twitch, but no, it still keeps going. It makes me worry, because lots of posts I've seen about twitches just talk about twitching intermittently, but mine is honestly constant. It never stops.

Anyone have any ideas? Or has this happened to anyone else? Right now I'm terrified it's being caused by an aneurysm pressing on a nerve!

Old 08-27-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
(female)

Zoie97 HB User
Re: Why won't my eyelid stop twitching??

I have had the twitches, one time a twitch was constant for 3 weeks, it was under my left eye, what really bothered me was others could see it twitching, I used to put pressure on it with my fingers and it would stop until I let up, but then would go into like hype-spasm, I still get them once in a while, but never as bad as that one time, Geez I never thought about them being dangerous, I hope I dont start obsessing about this....

" An insane person does not question their sanity"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2005, 06:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

I have that problem with my upper lip. I don't know what the deal is although I think I remember someone saying that it was some sort of vitamin deficiency.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

woodfaery HB User

This is most likely stress/anxiety related. What your doc told you is what mine told me also. For some reason when someone is under severe stress/anxiety facial twitching can happen. This has happened to me under stessful times, as well as other people who have mentioned it that has happened to them. Buspar helped me back then, now I take something else years later and its called Lexapro.
How long have you been taking medication for anxiety? A lot of times people are prescribed antidepressants for anxiety and stress and it works real well most times. It does take 3-6 wks sometimes though to get the full effect for relief. If you take prescribed benzodiazipines then they should work quickly but can usually only be used short term as doctors worry about addictive problems to this med if prescribed for too long. I would definately check into finding out if you are deficient on some kind of vitamin but dont over do it on the Vitamin E, and Vitamin C. Take a multivitamin instead. But dont take heaps of vitamins otherwise it could be not helpful but taxing on your body. There is such thing as too much of a good thing...especially when it comes to vitamins, supplements, and herbal remedies.
WF

Old 08-28-2005, 10:54 AM   #5
(female)

ryanandmaran1 HB User

Thanks for all your responses. Obviously I'm not the only one to get twitches. The reason I got so freaked out is because I kept hearing that it is probably just caused by an irritated nerve or something pressing on a nerve, so then I would think, WHAT is pressing on my nerve, a big fat aneurysm?

Plus, I've come across two different internet sources in which two people who had survived ruptured aneurysms had experienced an eyelid twitch beforehand. (THAT sent me running to Urgent Care!)

Still, none of my doctors are concerned, and my CAT scan looked fine, so I guess I'll just have to let it go. So Zoie97, it probably is nothing to worry about.

This anxiety medicine is helping, I think. It's the first time I've actually ever taken a medication-for anything- and I'm pleased with how much it helps. It's called lazarepam (or something like that), it's generic for something. I'm supposed to take 3 daily, but I just take 1/2 pill two times a day.

Woodfaery, this is only my second day on medication, and actually, my twitch does seem to be disappearing. And my overall sense of fear and worry has lessened a great deal.

As for the vitamins, that is very good advice, but I am careful to not exceed toxic levels. When I said extra supplements, I meant that I began taking vitamin D (which I may very well be deficient in since I avoid the sun and don't drink milk) as well as Calcium and Magnesium, which are supposed to play a role in muscle and nerve activity.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #6
(female)

Overcash HB User

I have trouble with my eyelids twiching but I do a lot of reading. I also have a twich in my left leg, mostly when I am laying down.

Closed Thread