It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
(female)

cremebrulee HB User
Donating Blood - Nerve Damage

I gave blood on Saturday. On Sunday morning I woke up with a tingling feeling down my arm to my hand. There is numbness and my hand feels cold. I thought it would go away but it hasn't. I called the blood donation center today to ask them if this was normal. I've donated several times before and this is the first time I've had any problems. I explained to the lady at the blood center that everything was normal when i went in. But when the nurse punctured my vein it was extremely painful. She asked if I was okay and I told her that this was the first time it actually hurts but the pain was bearable. I thought I was just a little sensitive that day. The entire time I was very still because it was painful to move. It also took several minutes longer than it should for them to draw my blood. The lady I spoke to on the phone said that I probably had nerve damage and that it will take about three weeks to heal. i was reading that the damage is often permanent. is there anything i can do because i don't want to have a numb left arm for the rest of my life?

Old 09-02-2005, 01:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User
Re: Donating Blood - Nerve Damage

It's likkely that the nurse hit a nerve, causing it to become inflamed and, now painful. Your discomfort should start to resolve within a week or two. I doubt very much that you will have permanent damage. Take some Ibuprofen (if you aren't allergic to it). If your symptoms worsen, see your doctor. Avoid future draws with that particular nurse. Some are so good at it that you can't even feel the needle at all. Love those!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread