It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
(male)

Ramse HB User
Unexplained swollen lip and tongue...HELP!

For several months now, I will occasionally develop a swollen lip or swollen tongue. It doesn't seem to be related to a recently consumed food product as the symptoms do not come on until sometimes hours after eating. Most of the time, the swelling begins after I have gone to bed for the night.

Usually before the swelling begins, I feel an itch sensation on a part of my upper or lower lip and then the swelling begins. I don't see any open sore, and I don't have any bleeding. It will last for several hours and then gradually disappear. The same thing with my tongue...an itchy sensation and then a part of my tongue will swell up. Usually only one side of my tongue or one side of my upper or lower lip will swell up.

Last night, my tongue towards the back of my throat did swell up. I took two antihistamine products and the swelling didn't seem to be as bad but the duration of the swelling was about the same.

I have been to my doctor and he couldn't think of a cause. My first thought was an allergic reaction but now I am not sure. I have been under a great deal of stress and wonder if there is a correlation.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #2
(male)

rohr4u HB User
Re: Unexplained swollen lip and tongue...HELP!

It sounds like an allergic reaction to me. If I were you I would try to determine when it started and if there is any new product you started using or food you started eating or a new place you began frequenting or a new person in your life---another person may be bringing something into your life that you are allergic to.

Some people are allergic to products with peanuts in them, maybe you are on one of them. I have been told that it is possible to develop allergies at any point in your life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
(female)

DX- HB User

Ramse,

We can't help you diagnose here -- only do research on a diagnosis you already have.

Your best bet is to get yourself to your family physician, then and tell him/her exactly what you've just told us.

You can help by keeping track of exactly what you've ingested, perhaps 24 hours before you have the swelling. When you get the swelling again, think back to the last day or so and write it down. Continue to do that. You might be very surprised at what you find.

Once you have a diagnosis, learn everything you can about it. You can use some of the starter websites in the sticky at the top of this board.

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
(male)

Ramse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisDiagnosisMOD
Ramse,

We can't help you diagnose here -- only do research on a diagnosis you already have.

Your best bet is to get yourself to your family physician, then and tell him/her exactly what you've just told us.

You can help by keeping track of exactly what you've ingested, perhaps 24 hours before you have the swelling. When you get the swelling again, think back to the last day or so and write it down. Continue to do that. You might be very surprised at what you find.

Once you have a diagnosis, learn everything you can about it. You can use some of the starter websites in the sticky at the top of this board.

Good luck!
Yes I already visited my doctor and he seemed very perplexed. I think it is a good idea to document what I eat. Strange my doctor didn't suggest that!

Closed Thread