It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2005, 11:00 AM   #1

canuck11 HB User
hand/finger tingling-nerve damage?

I recently saw my family doctor and he thinks I may have nerve damage in my left hand. About 3 months ago I had surgery for Dequervains tendonitis, which was successful. Surgery performed by a plastic surgeon who specializes in hand surgery. Unfortunately during this time I was involved in a abusive relationship and this person would often hit, squeeze, grab my arm where I had surgery. After each incident, I experienced some mild tingling. The last assault (called the police), he broke my pinky finger. Since this assault, which occured about 7 weeks ago, I have had a increase in tingling, spasms, pain. Broken finger (hairline fracture) was not treated for about two weeks, put in a aluminum splint for two weeks once treated. Someone told me that fingers can become stiff after a break, but I wouldn't say mine feel really stiff. Anyways the tingling is occuring in my pinky finger, half of my ring finger, palm below the 4th and 5th fingers. Spasms/electrode type feelings underside of wrist and palm. Thumb has a burning pain once in awhile. Also my pinky finger does not straighten out. When walking around, resting hand, finger stays in a bent/crooked position. If I tense my whole arm/hand it will straighten out. When making a fist, it will not bend fully. There is some tenderness/pain. I was researching the internet and came across something called Guyon's Canal Syndrome. It is nerve damage to the ulnar nerve in the wrist area. The symptoms of the tingling etc, sound very similar to what I am experiencing. My family doctor wants me to talk to the surgeon about the above, when I see him in 3 weeks. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? I hope I do not have nerve damage, but I wonder if I do, what can be done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2005, 02:34 AM   #2
(female)

weluvaz98 HB User
Re: hand/finger tingling-nerve damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck11
I recently saw my family doctor and he thinks I may have nerve damage in my left hand. About 3 months ago I had surgery for Dequervains tendonitis, which was successful. Surgery performed by a plastic surgeon who specializes in hand surgery. Unfortunately during this time I was involved in a abusive relationship and this person would often hit, squeeze, grab my arm where I had surgery. After each incident, I experienced some mild tingling. The last assault (called the police), he broke my pinky finger. Since this assault, which occured about 7 weeks ago, I have had a increase in tingling, spasms, pain. Broken finger (hairline fracture) was not treated for about two weeks, put in a aluminum splint for two weeks once treated. Someone told me that fingers can become stiff after a break, but I wouldn't say mine feel really stiff. Anyways the tingling is occuring in my pinky finger, half of my ring finger, palm below the 4th and 5th fingers. Spasms/electrode type feelings underside of wrist and palm. Thumb has a burning pain once in awhile. Also my pinky finger does not straighten out. When walking around, resting hand, finger stays in a bent/crooked position. If I tense my whole arm/hand it will straighten out. When making a fist, it will not bend fully. There is some tenderness/pain. I was researching the internet and came across something called Guyon's Canal Syndrome. It is nerve damage to the ulnar nerve in the wrist area. The symptoms of the tingling etc, sound very similar to what I am experiencing. My family doctor wants me to talk to the surgeon about the above, when I see him in 3 weeks. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? I hope I do not have nerve damage, but I wonder if I do, what can be done?

Old 10-27-2005, 02:37 AM   #3
(female)

weluvaz98 HB User

Hi. I have the same symptoms since un lna nerve transpostion surgery in 1996. I have since been diagnosed with Ulna neuropathy of left arm, elbow and hand....you may find some relief in a ceam that canonly be made at compound pharmacy...i take nurontin and ketoprohen for pain....ulna neuropathy is nerve damage...no nice way toput it....hope it helps...K

Old 10-28-2005, 07:54 PM   #4

canuck11 HB User

Thanks! I will check at the pharmacy for the cream. I started physiotherapy last week and the physiotherapist at the hospital specializes in hand therapy. She did some basic tests and thinks I could have nerve damage but not sure if it is in the hand or elbow (ulnar nerve) Said physio won't really help it, but preventive measures such as not leaning on your elbow or hand for long etc. She said in the long run, surgery may be needed. My family doctor put me on a waiting list for a nerve test, but that could take months since only one hospital in our city does it. I hope I don't need surgery. Makes me mad that my exbf did this to me.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
(female)

PeggySusan HB User

hi everyone, well nerve damage does tingle and also a feeling of numbness, I have nerve damage in half my chest and it gets numb sometimes. I had a car accident and a hole in my lung and had to have a chest tube and for one year I was numbed like when they numb a person that will be getting a tooth out.
I also wanted to comment on a friend of mine having "carparl tunnel", not sure if first word is spelled right but it sounds like something you were talking about in your posts, it is very painful and I believe I have that.

Closed Thread