It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2005, 01:10 PM   #1
(female)

hannahbob04 HB User
Scan results...what's it mean?

this is the medical report of a CT scan I had done to determine the cause of a neck mass.
"Axial images of the neck were obtained with non-ionic intravenous contrast at appropriate intervals. There is a large enhancing mass in the left anterior cervical chain which measures 4.6 by 2.3 centimeters and extends from the level of the parotid gland distally to just above the level of the thyroid gland. There are a number of associated lymph nodes in the anterior cervical chain which measure greater than 1.0 centimeter. These lie at the level of the thyroid gland in the anterior cervical chain on the left." Then goes on to say, " : Enhancing mass, left neck, as described above. The mass lies lateral to the left jugular vein and left carotid artery. It extends from the level of the left parotid gland to just above the level of the thyroid gland. It has the appearance of a vascular mass, neurogenic tumor could have this appearance. There are a number of associated lymph nodes in the anterior cervical chain as well."

The scan was ordered by an ENT. He said the tumor must come out ("and it's not coming out with any small incision; I can tell ya that" doc's exact words). He said because of the tumor's location he would like to perform the surgery with a vascular surgeon. I have a consult with the vascular surgeon tomorrow.

I guess, my biggest questions have to do with what's a vascular mass, or a neurogenic tumor, and does having lymph nodes greater than 1.0 centimeter mean anything? What questions should I ask the vascular surgeon tomorrow at the consult? Has anyone else had this kind of tumor/surgery? Should I be worried?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Scan results...what's it mean?

A vascular mass means a big lump of blood vessels, or a tumor composed of lots of blood vessels (or originating from blood vessels). A neurogenic tumor would be a tumor that originated from a nerve. I think the cervical chain has something to do with nerves.

When you have a tumor (or an infection), cells from the tumor get taken up by lymph vessels, and then collect in lymph nodes, which cause the nodes to enlarge.

You should probably ask the surgeon if you should be worried. Ask what types of tumors it could be, what is most likely, what the possible outcomes/courses of action are.

They want to do a large incision so that they can get a clear view of the area and make sure that they get the entire tumor and any affected lymph nodes. So most likely the course of events will be that they will do the surgery, take out any lymph nodes that look like they may have wayward cells in them (at this point they may have a pathologist do a quick examination of the things that they have removed so they know what they are dealing with and how aggressive they should be in removal). Then, they will send off the tumor and lymph nodes to the lab for thorough biopsy and pathology examination. Then any further treatment will be discussed. Of course, that is just a rough outline.... You should really ask the surgeon about that.

Definitely make a list of all of the questions that you have for the surgeon. Anything from what they think it is and what outcome they expect to what kind of hospital stay to what kind of anesthesia to risks of surgery. Anything that you are worried about. There are NO stupid questions! If you don't understand an answer, ask them to explain it to you so that you do understand. Take a not***** (and preferably a family member or friend) to write down and help you remember the answers.

Wishing the best of luck to you at your appointment tomorrow! Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:46 PM   #3
(male)

rollingstone HB User
Re: Scan results...what's it mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahbob04
this is the medical report of a CT scan I had done to determine the cause of a neck mass.
"Axial images of the neck were obtained with non-ionic intravenous contrast at appropriate intervals. There is a large enhancing mass in the left anterior cervical chain which measures 4.6 by 2.3 centimeters and extends from the level of the parotid gland distally to just above the level of the thyroid gland. There are a number of associated lymph nodes in the anterior cervical chain which measure greater than 1.0 centimeter. These lie at the level of the thyroid gland in the anterior cervical chain on the left." Then goes on to say, " : Enhancing mass, left neck, as described above. The mass lies lateral to the left jugular vein and left carotid artery. It extends from the level of the left parotid gland to just above the level of the thyroid gland. It has the appearance of a vascular mass, neurogenic tumor could have this appearance. There are a number of associated lymph nodes in the anterior cervical chain as well."
The scan was ordered by an ENT. He said the tumor must come out ("and it's not coming out with any small incision; I can tell ya that" doc's exact words). He said because of the tumor's location he would like to perform the surgery with a vascular surgeon. I have a consult with the vascular surgeon tomorrow.

I guess, my biggest questions have to do with what's a vascular mass, or a neurogenic tumor, and does having lymph nodes greater than 1.0 centimeter mean anything? What questions should I ask the vascular surgeon tomorrow at the consult? Has anyone else had this kind of tumor/surgery? Should I be worried?
Anytime there is an unusual mass people tend to get scared. The only way they can find out what the cells of the mass are like is to look at them under a microscope very carefully. They gave you a "dye" and took pictures of the mass at various levels so they could get a 3-D idea of exactly where things are. The mass is a little bit less than 2 inches by 1 inch and under the left jaw. there are some lymph nodes greater than 2/5 inch in this general area. It is near the major vessals of the neck thus he wants help from a vascular surgeon. It could be a mass of vessals or it could arise from neurological tissue in the area. Having nodes greater than 1 cm later may mean something but not for you at this point. Its the doctors job to explain possible complications to you but the problem is that a great deal of time there are no complications or they can be treated easily. I would suggest getting the surgery as soon as possible because early treatment in this case is crucial. Try to stay positive as that always helps the body repair itself quicker. Ask for pain medicine if you need it and dont wait over an hour before asking for more if not relieved-even if the nurses have to call the doctor. You will be sleepy most of the day after the surgery from the anesthesia but its normal and nothing to worry about.

Please write me back here and let me know how things went
Rollingstone

Closed Thread