It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2005, 06:59 PM   #1
(female)

Sweetpea33771 HB User
Exclamation Lump behind ear, on head.

Hello-

Today I noticed a lump behind my right ear. Not on my ear, on my head. It is alittle tender, I'm almost positive it hasnt been developing gradually because I would have noticed it before... it honestly seems to just have popped up overnight. Atfirst I thought it was due to a pimple but with further inspection there is nothing on the skin. I read up on some sites, and they said it could be one of my lymph nodes swelling due to infection. I have my cartilaged pierced, and for the past week or two it has been infected. I've had the piercing done for 2 1/2 years now but lately its been acting up and getting infected. My question is do you think that the bump could be from something as small as a piercing infection? I'm kind of hoping it is and not something more serious... I'm really worried and the bad part is I hate going to the doctors. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Old 11-30-2005, 07:34 PM   #2
(male)

rollingstone HB User
Re: Lump behind ear, on head.

If you have had an infection for one or two weeks I would go to the doctor especially on the head.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2005, 08:34 PM   #3
(female)

aquatilly HB User

It sounds like your your parotid gland. This gland can swell if you have recently had a viral or bacterial infection. It could be a stone, or a cyst. Try gently pressing a hot towel on it as long as you can four times a day. It might just dissolve, if it doesn't go away in a couple days or at least seem to get smaller you should go see a doctor. Also I heard lemons seem to take care of this, try drinking lemonade or putting lemon juice on your food.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
(female)

ladonnaj HB User

I have been getting cysts behind my ears for about ten years. They just appear periodically for no apparent reason. They are very tender. I went to the doctor when I first started getting them and was told that is just from some sort of viral infection and that it is no big deal. Everyone is different and their bodies respond differently too. So don't worry!

Old 01-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
(female)

smurfette1945 HB User

hi

i get tender bumps in the exact spot you're describing. mine seem to be caused from a build up of fluid. mostly from scratching my head or neck too much (allergic reaction to hair dye). when it doubt, get it checked out.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
(female)

Sweetpea33771 HB User

Hi just to update this... The bump went away and I thought it was infact because of the piercing. And then I started to feel really sick, I tested positive for epstein barr indicating I had mono, my doc. said my lymph node could have been enlarged from the mono. I did not know I had mono, the symptoms were not that severe but now I am having a horrible time getting over the epstein barr virus. It all seems so hopeless... I have horrible symptoms.

Closed Thread