It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
(male)

ho-no HB User
Sudden innie belly button mucus.....

Hi,

I'm 18, male. I eat okay, never a lot of unhealthy junk. I'm 5' 6". I eat fruits, more some of my other friends do. I exercise every 2 days or so, so I'm not obese, just a little overweight by 7 pounds in my class.

One morning when I woke up, took a shower, there was this sudden sharp pain that erupted in my belly button innerds. It felt like a very sharp needle that was stabbing the area. It wasn't a diarrhea problem, because I didn't need to go. So I just ignored it for a while hoping it would go away. The next day, the pain didn't go away, and out of curiosity I looked inside my belly button, and there was so much build-up of hardened foul-smelling mucus! I was scared, so naturally I dug it out, took a shower and washed the remains out. After a few hours, it would build back up again in liquified form. So I did the same thing. I would always have to do this for every few hours that day. The next 2 days, the pain dumbed down to the point where I don't have to hold my stomach to ease it. The build-up of mucus was less constant also, and now I only have to worry about it at least twice a day.

So during the few days of this scary and smelly predicament, I stocked up and ate more fruits than I normally would. Apples, valencia oranges, cantaloupes, watermelons, etc.....especially citrus fruits, because I figured they would detoxify whatever it was in my body. I even avoided meats as much as possible. I thought that whatever I had might be carcinogenic! That's how I scared I was.

Does anyone know what I have? Is it something that will go away in time, or is it diet related? I'm really scared, and I really hope it passes away soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Re: Sudden innie belly button mucus.....

Hi there.

I have gotten this myself a few times before but mines never as bad as yours.

The discharge from your belly button is due to a infection caused by bacteria growing in your button. This can be caused by sweating, wearing clothes which have caused a irritation, being overweight or by scratching the affected area.

The best thing to do is keep the area clean and dry. Wash your button several times a day and apply talc powder as this soaks up the discharge and it will stop it from smelling. If you have any open sores in your button then dont apply talc because it will just block the sore and cause a worse infection.

Based on the amount of discharge your losing and the pain you was experiencing, you need to see your doctor for some antibiotics or a fungal cream which you apply to the affected area. You may be able to buy the fungal cream over the counter at your local pharmacist once you tell him/her what the problem is or you may be advised to see your doctor.

Whatever you decide, buy the fungal cream and follow the above directions. If the infection persists or becomes worse - see your doctor.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:06 AM   #3
(male)

ho-no HB User

Hey thanks. I have been keeping watch of my belly button and washing it twice a day. So far, it's subdued a bit, and it doesn't look as bad anymore. There's no pain now, and it doesn't smell as much.

You say buy fungal cream. Can you recommend what brand is best?
I don't want to have to see my doctor unless it's the very last resort, as it can get pretty costly for me. I'm still in the process of getting health insurance, and I have college tuition to worry about.

Old 12-18-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hiya Ho-No.

Im really not sure what brand of fungal cream is best. I tried several but there probably under a different name in the states. I used Canisten, Dactakort and Sudocrem. Your pharmacist can best advise you hun.

Im glad its getting better. No scratching! lol

Closed Thread