It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
(male)

HealthAddict HB User
Blood Pressure

Last night I checked my blood pressure and the results are below:

Reading 1
=======
Sys mmHg = 148
Dia mmHg = 69
Pulse = 79

Reading 2
=======
Sys mmHg = 138
Dia mmHg = 74
Pulse = 87

At the time I took my first reading I felt quite stressed. My second reading however was taken after I had done nearly 90 minutes worth of deep relaxation/breathing exercises whilst laying on my bed, to calm myself down. I felt fine on my second reading, not the slightest bit of tension in my body, etc, but the results appear to be worse than the first one, with the exception of my Sys which dropped by 10.

I don't understand why my pulse rate was so high after relaxing for 90 mins on my bed, since it's normally below 60 during the day when I sit on my chair, etc. Anyway, I checked my blood pressure this morning and it was normal (Sys 122/Dia 65/Pulse 64).

Is it normal for my blood pressure and pulse to go so high when I'm stressed, or should I be concerned? This is my highest reading I've ever had, and I'm worried something might be wrong with me, since a Sys result above 140 is out of the normal range.

Old 12-27-2005, 02:03 AM   #2
(male)

dutch-ny HB User
Re: Blood Pressure

According to my doc normal is 130 or less/85 or less. stage 1, 140-159/90-99. You have slight high blood pressure.You should consult with a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2005, 04:01 AM   #3
(male)

HealthAddict HB User

Ok, I have a few questions regarding blood pressure.

1) Does a high blood pressure reading mean that I have higher mercury levels in the blood than normal?
2) Is it normal for my blood pressure to go high (hypertension - stage 1) when I have panic attacks / anxiety?
3) Can cold weather increase my blood pressure?
4) Is it safe to exercise (dance/jog lightly, etc) whilst blood pressure is above normal (eg. 140-148/70+)?
5) I read that eating beans is good for reducing blood pressure, does this include tinned baked beans?

Last edited by HealthAddict; 12-27-2005 at 04:51 AM.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

1) high BP has nothing to do with mercury levels in the blood
2) it is absolutely normal
3) yes, it raises mine too
4)yes, it will cause your BP to be lower afterwards
5) I have no idea about the beans

Old 12-27-2005, 06:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

basically,the systolic is the pressure excerted against the vessel walls while the heart is in the contraction phase and the diastolic is the pressure when it lets go.yes yours IS slightly high but it could have been just onthat particular day,and your BP will change thru out any given day for various reasons.try taking it in the morning and at night when you have been relaxing for a while and do this over at least one weeks time.(of course writing down all results with date and time of day)then look at ALL of your results and go from there.just so you know,never take your BP twice in one arm without at least five or ten minutes passing or you may get a very inaccurate read on the second one.
if they are staying mostly on the higher side,you do need to see your doc.high BPs can be responsible for everything from heart attacks and stroke to kidney disease.the "ideal" BP would be considered 120/80 with a ten degree margin either up or down form there.i am ,luckily for me as I do have kidney disease,still more on the hypotensive side of the range with my normal bps being around 110 down to around 99 systolic.i was also just recently found to have a brain aneurysm up against my brainstem but this was due to the type of kidney disease i have and nothing else,but I can tell you,if my BPs had been on the higher side,I probably would not be typing this right now.luckily since my bPs were already naturally low,I was able to get the aneurysm coiled and so far so good.trust me,if you DO end up having high BPs there ARE things you can do to try and lower it naturally and withthe use of meds.my husbands BPS have always been a bit on the higher side and as of two weeks ago,he is now on meds for his BPs and he is only 47 years old.

just keep track for that week and go see your doc to try and come up with some sort of a treatment plan for you to try.good luck,and please keep us posted.FB

Old 12-27-2005, 07:43 AM   #6
(male)

HealthAddict HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsofglass
1) high BP has nothing to do with mercury levels in the blood
I was reading about blood pressure on various web sites and 2 of them mentioned mercury on the page. The symbol for mercury is 'Hg', and blood pressure is measured in mmHg (millimeters of mercury). So this is why I thought high blood pressure meant higher mercury levels in a persons blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad
just keep track for that week and go see your doc to try and come up with some sort of a treatment plan for you to try.good luck,and please keep us posted.FB
I started taking notes of my blood pressure readings this morning, with time, date and a small note of how I felt before taking the reading. I will do this for a week, then work out my average blood pressure from there.

I'm only 31, so I don't really want to take the medication route unless it's absolutely necessary. I have put on over a stone since summer ended due to depression/SAD, but I don't really consider myself obese, since I'm a 6 ft male (14.5 stone, 203 pounds). There is some flab on my stomach and thighs, etc, but nothing too bad. Luckily for me I don't drink, smoke or take any medication for anything, so that should help with recovery.

Today I started exercising more, since that's supposed to be good for reducing BP and it should also help with losing some of the weight I have gained since summer ended. I've also reduced my intake of cakes, chocolate and protein (cheese, peanuts, etc..) in my diet. I'm also taking more frequent breaks to relax, so hopefully my BP should go back to normal soon.

Last edited by HealthAddict; 12-27-2005 at 08:03 AM.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i supposes the millimeters of mercury could be a bit confusing.the only relation to any sort of actual mercury is IN the actual BP meter.when you are in the docs office and see the type of bP contraption they use and you watch the 'liquid" go up and then down?THAT is mercury that is going up then down,not just something like water or some other liquid.that is where the mm or mercury comes from.it has absolutely nothing to do with ANY sort of actual mercury in the blood at all.i don't know why they do this with mercury and not something else.it WOULD be kind of interesting to actually find out just why this uses actual mercury and not something else.it must be much more pressure sensitive or something.and just HOW did they decide to even put this all together to check BP levels??? hmmm.interesting questions.

It does sound like you are doing all the right things.let me know how things are by the end of the week.FB

Old 12-31-2005, 01:05 AM   #8
(male)

dutch-ny HB User

I think that I should have given the whole BP listing to you but I was keeping to question;consider the whole;130 or less/85or less normal:130-139/85-89;average:140-159/90-99,stage1;160-179/100-109,stage2;180-209/110-119,stage3;210or higher/120 or higer,stage 4[DANGER] I was stage 4,visits were two -three times /week,GOOD idea is to keep a log and see the overall average with notes as to daily events. Hope this helps !!!!

Old 02-16-2006, 05:46 PM   #9
(female)

GlowGal HB User

Hi, HealthAddict.

I would continue what you're doing with taking notes on your BP readings. You should also note what you were doing right before the reading. For example, if you just had a panic attack, that might cause your BP to rise (as well as your heart rate). Your doctor may even recommend wearing a BP holster for 24 hours. The holster will measure and record your BP at regular intervals during the day and provide your doctor with some actual data.

The only time you'd be put on BP meds is if / when your BP is consistently at a high level. I just turned 40 in November '05 and have had high BP for about 2 years (my BP was consistently 140/90 or higher) and am currently on meds, which are helping.

Exercise is also very good in helping lower blood pressure. I notice that when I'm on a regular exercise program, or doing more cardio, my BP is around the 130/78 range.

High BP can be caused by heavy salt intake, obesity and even genetics. The key is to find out what's causing the BP and treat it from there.

Good luck!

Closed Thread