It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
(female)

jeannie00 HB User
Is bloody mucus normal??

Ive noticed for a while now. that of a morning, im always plugged up and i cough up alot of mucus that its bloody. Is this normal???? My nose is always bloody mucus too. Is all this normal. I have very bad allergies, Im on lots of allergy meds. I wasnt sure if the bloody mucus was related to my allergies. Does anyone know???

Old 01-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Is bloody mucus normal??

No, it is not normal. You may have a sinus infection or the alleregy meds you take are not working.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
(female)

jeannie00 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800
No, it is not normal. You may have a sinus infection or the alleregy meds you take are not working.

I just seen my ent doc on wed. and he told me to put vaseline on a q-tip and put it on the inside of my nose..My allergies and sinuses are horrible. Theyve got to be the worst ever. So you dont think its anything else like life threatening or some sort, just maybe something minor???

Old 01-21-2006, 07:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

No, it is not life threatening. I am presuming you have what my husband and I get sometimes. When nostrils are irritated and/or dry, they can start bleeding when you blow your nose or pick which is why your doctor mostly likely suggested the Vaseline to keep things lubricated in there.

Another thing he might or should have suggested is running a humidifier especially at night and especially in the winter so that the air you breathe is not dry in your home.

Things that will help are not blowing your nose hard, sneezing with your mouth open which relieves the pressure and never shove kleenex up your nostrils to clean them out. If you feel something might be stuck in your nostrils (you do not want it to dry out in there), Vaseline your little pinky and finesse (not pick) to gently remove it.

Some people, myself included, find that even though saline nose spray works well, it may actually do more harm in the bleeding department. You will have to experiment with this. Saline actually irritates my nasal passages. If you are using it, try stopping for a while and see if your situation improves or ask your ENT for an alternative or a mixture you can make yourself.

Hope this helps. Please do not be scared. I have lived with this problem for a long time myself and occasionally it just happens.

Old 01-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Adding 1 or 2 drops plain glycerin to bottle of saline solution will not dry out nasal passages.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #6
(female)

jeannie00 HB User

I seen on tv today that it said one of the side effects of Nasonex is nosebleeds. Im on nasonex. I wonder if that could be the bleeding problem as well???

Old 01-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

midniteangel HB User

I never could understand why ppl don't try and find out what is causing thier allergys instead of taking meds and or thinking they have sinus problems. One should always go to an allergist to find out exactly what they are allergic to. There are many causes, the enviroment, animals, chemicals and of course stuff in the house such as dust, mold and mildew, even insects.

Old 02-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #8
(female)

jeannie00 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteangel
I never could understand why ppl don't try and find out what is causing thier allergys instead of taking meds and or thinking they have sinus problems. One should always go to an allergist to find out exactly what they are allergic to. There are many causes, the enviroment, animals, chemicals and of course stuff in the house such as dust, mold and mildew, even insects.

Ive been to the ent docs. Hes the one thats got me on all these meds. i was allergic to everything they tested me for. So I did find out what is causing my allergies.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

midniteangel.........most allergy sufferers do get allergy tested...but...most of the things that we are allergic to are beyond our control. for example....my kids have allergies....i dont care how clean i keep my home....it only helps to a small degree....because they spend ALOT of time in school, church, or other places..which is not kept anywhere near as clean as we do our homes....so no matter what i do at home....its almost like doing nothing since they spend the majority of their day at school.

you cant get rid of dust, dust mites, trees, weeds, grass...so we have no choice but to suffer or get on meds. i have suffered with allergies for about 5 years now..taking an occasional OTC medication..and this year was my absolute worst. Started in October and just would not stop.....EVERY morning stopped up head, sore throat from the major drainage, sneezing galore until my back got so sore....EVERYDAY until I FINALLY went to the allergist the first of this month..(February)...and they put me on meds....oh how it feels so good to feel good again! my main allergens are dust/dust mites....and ragweed....all of which I am HIGHLY allergic to...(which i knew that i was highly allergic to, because i have been allergy tested before...but had it done again to see if there was more that i was allergic to since my last test)....i can keep my house as dust free as possible, but no matter what we do....there is always dust floating around! imagine what its like to not be able to open your windows on a very nice day...to get "fresh air" in your home.....because of the dust and pollen flying around. year round we are enclosed in our home. sometimes i get irritated and go ahead and open the windows....but pay dearly for it. So, its not as simple as just getting tested and your allergies will be gone just by getting tested. Sure, if you are allergic to dogs....obviously get rid of the dogs.....but you just cant get rid of trees, weeds, etc. as much as we would love to do!

Old 02-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

midniteangel HB User

Oh i do know...My oldest son was asthmatic from age 2 and also had the grass, dust, mold/mildew, animal allergys...i had to get him and me a foam rubber matress and pillows, no carpets, no curtains. I got a dehumidifier and a machine that takes all allergens out of the air...he was on all kinds of meds...the attacks minimized after all this and stopped at age 15...also nothing made of wool was allowed in the house.

Closed Thread