It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
(female)

Trillian06 HB User
Unhappy My 8yo daughter is starting puberty

I took my daughter in for her 8 year old physical and the doctor pointed out that she is starting to develop breasts and has the start of pubic hair. She (the doctor) suggested my daughter go in for an XRay of her hand and wrist to make sure her bones aren't developing faster than her body which would cause her body to think she is older than she really is. Her Xray is scheduled for Monday I just wanted to see if anybody knows anything regarding this issue.

The dr. mentioned if the xray comes back and shows her bones are older than 8yo they could give her medications to slow the process down! She was also molested at the age of 5, could this have anything to do with early puberty??

Any info would be great!! Thanks!

Trillian

Old 02-17-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User
Re: My 8yo daughter is starting puberty

I do not think this uncommon!! My child is almost eleven and in puberty. My neighbors little girl is 9 and she is defintely entering pubery. To be honest I know a lot of kids who entered puberty young. My 10 year old is 5.3 by the way. I did ask about those "medicines" myself when she started developing breasts at 9, You really got to think it through if that is safe. I was told a child can get her period as early as 9. If she is 8 and just showing signs of it, you probably have at least two full years before she would get her period anyway. I am not a doctor and I think its important to rule out any and all concerns, but I really do not think it is uncommon. It is scary for the adult, because our average age was 13, but it is not that anymore the avg. age is 12 now. there was a guy on tv last summer saying the hormones they put in the feed for the animals and on the produce is to thank for the children developing so young these days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #3

boston HB User

Being male I can't comment on if its normal or not for a girl that young to be starting puberty, but I do agree with Trillian06 that all the stuff they shoot up cows chickens and everything else with so the produce more milk eggs bigger drumstick etc.... is a big factor in a lot of health problems/allergies especially in young children.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
(female)

HeyKD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston
Being male I can't comment on if its normal or not for a girl that young to be starting puberty, but I do agree with Trillian06 that all the stuff they shoot up cows chickens and everything else with so the produce more milk eggs bigger drumstick etc.... is a big factor in a lot of health problems/allergies especially in young children.

Don't forget soy. I'm a soyaphobic now because I've read so much about it. It contains a great deal amount of phytoestrogens. There is soy milk now and I read somewhere that it's like taking one birth control pill a day for children. Whether thats true or not, I wouldn't subject that to any child just to find out.

Old 02-19-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

i think your docter may be a bit overly-concerned..i almost laugehd when i read that, newwer docters try to run as many unessasary/pricey tests as they can eitehr A. for money or B. to avoid being sued.. i prefer old-fashioned docters, theyre much less.. laughable.

your dughter sounds completly normal to me, according to my health class alot of girls hit puberty as early as 8, espeically now that all these staroids are being put into fast food, i never really ate much fast food..

there were atleast 20 girls in my elementry school who were already "developed" but i dont think x-rays are a bad idea either, if your docter is honestly concerned, its always better to be on the safe side, just dont worry too much.

i was 11 when i hit puberty, though my mom was 14, so she was surpised when i hit puberty, too.

im 16, but i only started getting my figure a few months ago, people think im a late bloomer, and by comparison i am, i know 11 year olds who look older than me right now

Last edited by iyami; 02-19-2006 at 06:05 PM.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:17 AM   #6
(female)

ImTheLucky1 HB User

I started puberty at 11. But I remember when I was in 3rd grade (age 8, 9) that a girl in my class had to go home b/c she got her period at school. By the time I started 5th grade there were several girls who had gotten their periods. So, their ages were around 10 or 11. This was 17 yrs ago. So, I would say that it's not unusual for a girl to start developing at the age of 8. Not the average maybe but definately not unusual.

The biggest thing that I would be thinking about is helping her deal with the fact that she's growing faster than her classmates. Also, just wanted to add that this is not just a "girl" thing. By BIL could grow a full beard by the time he was 12 and my 9 yo son has started to grow thicker hair on his neck and back. I don't have the courage to ask him if it's growing else where yet.

I would let the dr. do the xray if s/he was REALLY concerned but I wouldn't worry to much.

Closed Thread