It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 08:44 PM   #1

whittlj HB User
Pain under ribcage on right hand size of body

It started after a really bad cold and cough a few weeks ago. The cough has massively subsided, yet I still cough occassionally. However, last week, my chest and back on the right hand side were hurting immensely, so I went to the hospital. They said that I tore the muscles from coughing so much, (just by pressing my ribs, no x-ray or anything) and prescribed percocet. I ran out of those, yet I still have the pain. It isn't as immense, but I am still kind of worried. It's not the chest muscles because when I do push ups and stuff, it doesn't hurt and my back is fine. But if I'm lying on my back, just under my ribcage in sort of the middle, but toward the right side of my body, it hurts a lot. It makes it hard to sit up. For example, sit ups would hurt. I'm not sure if it is anything to worry about, but if the muscles were torn and I haven't really been coughing for almost two weeks, I thought it should feel better. If I do cough, I have to stand up and kind of bend over, because if I'm sitting or lying down (especially on my stomach) I'm in pain.

Last edited by whittlj; 02-24-2006 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Typos

Old 02-24-2006, 09:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User
Re: Pain under ribcage on right hand size of body

Sounds like you need to give those muscles time to heal. They take time to heal and if a tendon was involved, could be even longer. Take it easy. It will get better in time, but you have to give them some.
Wishing you well!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2006, 05:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

It is possible that you actually just pulled some of the cartiledge away from one of the ribs.my hubby did this when he was lifting weights manyyears ago.he just started having some really horrible pain that just popped in one day like out of no where,and was like three full days after the actual lifting and injury was really done.If i remember right,it was called costochondritis?don't quote me on that,lol.try looking that up and see how your symptoms compare.i am pretty sure that is what his doc called it.

It does repair itself with rest,and time and stopping any sort of movements you know will cause the pain to pop up.taking something like aleeve or plain motrin really works the best for pain as it IS inflammation that is causeing the real pain.Just take it easy for a while and don't do anything that causes it to flare up.if this does not get better within just a couple weeks,see your doc again for a re evaluation with x rays.good luck and hope this gets better soon.FB

Old 02-25-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User

Muscles take a LONG time to heal. Sometimes not just weeks, but months can go by before you're back to normal. And I'm not sure you should be working out right now. You may need to talk to your doctor again and see if physical therapy is an option. A doctor and/or a physical therapist can tell you what exerciese (if any) you can safely do while you're healing.

Closed Thread